Self-Liberation Through Seeing With Naked Awareness

Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Self-Liberation Through Seeing With Naked Awareness

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

The quality of teaching today is seriously compromised by the sheer numbers of students involved.
It is possible to have someone you don't personally know be a "root guru" and pray to them for blessings, while have someone that is simply knowledgeable be your mentor. So HHDl or Garchin R., or any respectable lama you take initiation with, can be your "guru" and other people can guide your studies. Think of it like taking a university course with a big-name university professor and a competent teacher's assistant. That's actually quite helpful in terms of keeping the samaya of seeing the guru as a buddha too. The T.A. you can treat with respect but you don't have to see them as a buddha.

But good luck even finding someone that won't alter the teachings and screw things up.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Paul

Post by Paul »

asunthatneversets wrote:
steve_bakr wrote:I am saying that one can indeed see into the nature of one's own mind through this text, although it is not my only Direct Introduction.
You can't receive direct introduction from a text.
I wish someone would compile a list of statements from various teachers to that effect. It's a particular line of pernicious nonsense that would benefit from a conclusive answer from respected authorities.

It's kind of sad that it becomes possible to identify who's started a particular misinterpretation of dharma in just a few sentences.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
heart

Post by heart »

steve_bakr wrote:"Self-Liberation Through Seeing With Naked Awareness" is the foundation which informs the cycle known as "The Tibetan Book of the Dead." It must be understood that it is not the other way around. What the teachings of "Self-Liberation..." inform us about this cycle is that all these manifestations in the bardo are projections of our own Primal Nature. They are not anything external to us and have no independent reality of their own. The realization of this brings immediate liberation.
This is the cycle:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... a_Rangdrol

Here you will find translations of a many of the texts in this cycle including "Self-Liberation Through Seeing With Naked Awareness" in an other translation :

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tibetan-Book- ... R107%2C160_

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I think that is a widely understood conceptual framework. It isn't D.I.

My own oversimplification of that idea is that enlightenent, once achieved, is retroactive. That is once you "stand on the other shore" you can see your own and other's enlightened nature as being there all along.

But that's not D.I. either. It's just more blah blah blah.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi steve_bakr,

You've presented the same claims over and over here, and they've been rebutted again and again. It seems to me that you're not here for a sincere dialogue, or to learn about Dharma generally or Dzogchen specifically. If you were, you wouldn't be in the habit of trying to convince others that your position is the right one, and that everyone else in the room is off the reservation. There's a word for this kind of behavior--proselytizing. And it's against the rules here. See for yourself, in the Terms of Service you agreed to when you created an account at DharmaWheel:

http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=12768

While there, notice that it's also verboten to badmouth a Buddhist tradition. In my view, your persistent refusal to take Dzogchen texts at face value, and instead prioritize your own universalist thinking and subordinate Dzogchen to it, amounts to devaluing or belittling Dzogchen. It's not appreciated.
heart

Post by heart »

steve_bakr wrote:
heart wrote:
steve_bakr wrote:You are not familiar with the text, then, because John Reynolds said that it is possible to be liberated by understanding the text itself. The text is simple and straightforward. Read it one hundred times and tell me what it is that cannot be understood. We're in the 21st century. I always support having a teacher. But unbridled lamaism is a hindrance if you cannot see what is under your own nose. I know this text like the back of my own hand, probably better than anyone here. If you say that I do not understand it, you might as well say that there is no sky.
I am very familiar with that text and many others like it and from experience I can tell you that you are making a huge mistake thinking that you don't need to find a real master.

/magnus
That is a different subject. I am saying that one can indeed see into the nature of one's own mind through this text, although it is not my only Direct Introduction. The subject of having a teacher in the climate of such an enormously large ratio of students per teacher deserves its own thread. It is very problematic. The quality of teaching today is seriously compromised by the sheer numbers of students involved. The entire landscape and the logistics of teaching are completely different today. On the other hand, there are more resources available than ever. To be certain, the old way of doing things is all but obsolete. It is a subject of critical importance, which I am very mindful of.
You can't but that doesn't really matter because even if you could you would still need a master or else you will take an misstaken path. That first recognition, no matter how amazing it feels at the time, can actually be the cause of much confusion unless one connects with a master. Read Chogyam Trungpa's "Cutting through spiritual materialism". Go and get teachings from one of Tulku Urgyens sons or Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche and you will understand what I am talking about.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

That's ridiculous. Steve_Bakr is expressing his interpretation. I find that he is maintaining civility and sincerity, even in the face of some aggressive expressions. While I disagree with what he says, I think he has every right to say it.

In the U.S., there is the idea that free speech is better than censorship because the truth will win in the marketplace of opinions. This position seeks to drive alternate views into the shadows, where they will linger unopposed. The debate and refutation of wrong views has a strong history in Buddhism.

Steve_Bakr's view is not uncommon in the West. It strikes me as being plugged into a sort of cultural imperialism, where only the educated Westerner has the proper objectivity to look at non-Western cultures, extract the essentials, and dump the rest. This is the same sort of armchair study that was especially dominant in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
DGA wrote: While there, notice that it's also verboten to badmouth a Buddhist tradition. In my view, your persistent refusal to take Dzogchen texts at face value, and instead prioritize your own universalist thinking and subordinate Dzogchen to it, amounts to devaluing or belittling Dzogchen. It's not appreciated.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

steve_bakr wrote: you can say that there is enlightenment in a provisional sense, but in an absolute sense enlightenment is dualistic because it is paired in contrast to its opposite.
This argument is explicitly rejected in the Rig pa rang shar.
Therefore, I can understand your saying that the absolute viewpoint contradicts Dzogchen Tantras. .
What I am saying is that your argument is explicitly rejected in the Tantras of Dzogchen. The Rig pa Rang shar gives the following account. Follow it closely and you can see that your point of view is explicitly negated. The context of the argument, btw, is to prove that Buddhahood is attained merely through an introduction.
  • [Opponent]
    The opponents reply to that:
    all phenomena are nondual.
    Therefore, there cannot be duality.
    Since there are no sentient beings, there are no buddhas.
    Therefore, [nonduality] is freedom from the extremes of dualistic appearances.

[Reply]
    Now then, is this stated in the ultimate sense,
    or stated for the objects of deluded appearances?
    Our reply to that and the demonstration of the proofs:
    that this is so in in the ultimate sense,
    but there is a dualistic appearance in the objects of deluded appearances.

[Opponent]
    The opponents rebuttal to that:
    because there is no duality in the ultimate sense,
    it is not reasonable for there to be duality in objects of deluded appearances.
    Why? Because there is no duality in the ultimate sense.
    In that case it is reasonable that all sentient beings
    could be liberated without the need for effort.
    Why? Because duality does not exist in the basis.

[Reply]
    Now then, how is duality asserted?
    The reply to that is:
    when there are no buddhas and no sentient beings,
    there is no second or third in the basis.
    Because the potentiality of play arises from that [basis],
    buddhas and sentient beings arise as a duality.

[Opponent]
    Now it is asserted that duality exists in the basis.
    Because there is no good or bad in the basis,
    for what reason is it said to exist as a duality?
    In that case, there cannot be transformation.
    Why? It is reasonable that sentient beings do not attain buddhahood.
    For example, even though coal
    is polished, it will never become white.
    In the same way, deluded sentient beings
    will never become buddhas through practicing meditation.

[Reply]
    Next, the reply is given like this:
    because it exists to be demonstrated,
    the result is attained through the demonstration.
    If not demonstrated, how can there be liberation?

There are no signs in the dharmas of the basis,
    no grasping to the dharmas of the path,
    and no attainment of the dharmatā of the result.
    The basis of sentient beings and the basis of buddhahood
    is definitely differentiated by a sole difference.
    For what reason is there a sole difference?
    Why is it called “the sole difference”?
    The basis of buddhahood is pristine consciousness [ye shes];
    the basis of sentient beinghood is not pristine consciousness.
    When both the primordial state (ye) and recognition (shes pa) are combined,
    it is the sublime transcendent state of the buddhas.
I really think you need to reconsider your arrogance on this point. There are people here who understand Dzogchen far better than you. You should listen to them. On the Guru, for example, another of the 17 Tantras, the Precious Introduction Tantra, states:
  • Investigating into the intimate instructions of the Guru, one reaches the extent of effortless self-liberation.
The Rig pa Rang shar, the commentary tantra of Dzogchen, also chimes in the faults of not obtaining empowerments. Now mind you, this does not mean that one necessarily needs some kind of empowerment into an outer mandala and so on, as the Rig pa Rang Shar makes clear. That depends on the faculties of the student. But this tantra makes it absolutely clear that one must receive at least direct introduction from a proper master:
  • The faults of not obtaining the empowerment are as follows: in the bardo one is alarmed, panicked, exhausted, impeded and one can also lose consciousness.
    “While one has not left the body of traces, migrating beings will not see one as worthy of respect. One’s merit will be small, one’s life short, one’s enjoyments of living will be few, one will be powerless and many obstacles will occur. Nothing will be accomplished. Those are the faults of not obtaining the empowerment for the conduct of Secret Mantra. A yogin of Secret Mantra conduct must first obtain empowerment. If empowerment is not obtained, not even the Buddha will be able to turn the wheel on the stage of a tathāgata. If the wheel cannot be turned, then the nirmanakāya will not be able to benefit migrating beings with compassion. Therefore, the empowerment of the conduct of Secret Mantra must be obtained.
The root tantra of all Dzogchen teachings, the Sgra thal gyur, states:
  • Serve the guru as equal to a buddha
    by pleasing him/her with activities of body and speech.
And:
  • The Dharma is in accord with the transmission of the Guru.
Finally, since you like the Kun byed rgyal po, then heed what it says:

• Without an authentic master, like the scripture of a monkey,
    the basis and path will be erroneous, indeed one will be seized by conceptuality.
    Therefore, like applying ferrous sulfate to gold, the precious master
    should be paid with a gem of inestimable value.
This is also part of the lung called rtsal chen sprug pa, one of the five lungs brought to Tibet by Vairocana.

The Great Garuda, another one of the five lungs and also part of the Kun byed rgyal po states:
  • The virtuous mentor is like a precious jewel which produces everything.
    Unsupported, not depending on places of transformation,
    he fulfills hope through his excellent inner nature.
    When examined, nothing; but he has the great excellence of producing a variety for others.
Finally, you should heed Mañjuśrīmitra [Garab Dorje's main disciple], who states in yet another of the five lungs brought by Vairocana, the Meditation of Awakened Mind:
  • Subtle and difficult to understand, this path of the great seer is beyond nonconceptuality and conceptuality,
    difficult to analyze and difficult to explain, free from conventional expressions,
    inaccessible through words, while it is not shared with the domain of others and all of the immature,
    this meaning can here be seen through those definitive scriptures of the Teacher and the experiential intimate instructions of the gurus.
So, given these definitive statements in original texts of the Dzogchen tradition, you can see why no one agrees with your baseless and harmful assertions. However, you are free to following the three words of Jim Valby:
  • Introduce yourself to some delusion.
    Spread it as widely as possible.
    Continue in that state forever.
Because that is all you are doing, sad to say.
Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Matt J wrote:That's ridiculous. Steve_Bakr is expressing his interpretation. I find that he is maintaining civility and sincerity, even in the face of some aggressive expressions. While I disagree with what he says, I think he has every right to say it.
As far as I understand the ToS he has to respect the Dzogchen teachings in the Dzogchen subforum.
If the point is explained already, the issue is solved and the discussion can come to an end.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Matt J wrote:While I disagree with what he says, I think he has every right to say it.

In the U.S., there is the idea that free speech is better than censorship because the truth will win in the marketplace of opinions. This position seeks to drive alternate views into the shadows, where they will linger unopposed.
The refers to the press and public sphere only. You do not have the right, for example, to walk into a African American church and stand up and say that African Americans are inferior to whites, or walk into a synagogue and express your opinion that Hitler was correct to exterminate Jews. In other words, freedom of speech is not protected in private spaces, and never has been.
The debate and refutation of wrong views has a strong history in Buddhism.
Banishment of recalcitrant debaters also has a long history in Buddhism...
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

steve_bakr,it is indeed possible to get a glimpse of rikpa by reading a text. As it is for some people to meet this in a number of ways, by themselves, without a teacher or D.I. This is not a controversial point really, it is the innate nature of every being. Even during the death process the basis manifests for everyone, although it is rarely recognized. Many teachers have stated that it is indeed possible for anyone to encounter rikpa by himself/herself. Gangteng Rinpoche immediately comes to mind, as I have personally heard him state this a number of times over the years. That said, however, this is not Dzogchen. Dzogchen is something else and relies totally on the Guru. It is a condition for refining this recognition, for stabilizing rikpa and for ultimately putting an end to karmic perception. So the good people who argued against the intent you seem to have here are quite right, and Malcolm provided some great quotes to that effect. Your text is not wrong by stating that it is a direct introduction, but it exists within a certain context - i.e. the Dzogchen tradition - and this tradition has other characteristics as well. IMHO, you would benefit if you recognize the distinction between these things, as it may not have come across too clearly even in this thread.

In other words - if you were not that fixated on proving your point, you would have had a valid point. But since you are intent on proving it, the arguments against your point are actually the valid ones in this case. And you are making them rock solid :smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ivo wrote:steve_bakr,it is indeed possible to get a glimpse of rikpa by reading a text.
No, Ivo, actually it isn't, and I have demonstrated this already.
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

Malcolm wrote:
Ivo wrote:steve_bakr,it is indeed possible to get a glimpse of rikpa by reading a text.
Well, I wouldn't argue with this point, as I know where you are coming from, but I beg to differ. My personal opinion is irrelevant, but many of my Dzogchen teachers, especially during thogyal teachings, have stated the opposite again and again, and I mentioned one of those teachers. But since the possibility of any of them coming here and confirming it is quite minuscule, it is a moot point.
And I am clearly not saying that this kind of recognition can be a basis for Dzogchen practice. But I am also not saying that our father, Guru Rinpoche is wrong by clasifying the SLTSWNA text as a direct introduction. These things have tremendous blessings and we are living in the period when the outer seal of secrecy has been lifted. The blessings do not dissipate because of that, in fact they get even stronger, and I think that we should be very careful when discussing what is possible and what is not possible in this regard. Such a text is not only ink on paper.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ivo wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Well, I wouldn't argue with this point, as I know where you are coming from, but I beg to differ. My personal opinion is irrelevant, but many of my Dzogchen teachers, especially during thogyal teachings, have stated the opposite again and again, and I mentioned one of those teachers. But since the possibility of any of them coming here and confirming it is quite minuscule, it is a moot point.
Ivo — rig pa is the knowledge of a very specific thing, one's primordial state. This is very, very subtle and cannot be accessed through a coarse mind that is engaged in reading a book, not matter how nice those words are.

We are talking about a beginner, someone who has never met George. They might see George every day on the subway, but they will never know who George is. However, when they are at last introduced to George by someone who knows George, they will say, "Oh, I see you everyday on the Subway." After that point, they will always recognize George, even if he changes his suit, hat, shoes, etc. But without that introduction, they will never recognize George, and George, being rather disinterested in people, will never walk up and introduce himself, saying, "I am George."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ivo wrote:Such a text is not only ink on paper.
Yeah, it pretty much is, if it is not presented to a proper student in a proper way, complete with the oral transmission of the text and accompanying introduction.

Dzogchen is an intimate instruction that does not depend on a scripture. This is the point that is lost on steve.

What does Dzogchen depend on? Introduction by a master.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

I think we need to make a distinction between having a moment of rigpa while reading and having a moment of rigpa as a result of reading, possibly during a pause between phrases or whatever. I'm not sure if Ivo is saying that one could get a first glimpse of rigpa while in the actual process of reading, i.e. eyes looking at the page etc.
Last edited by dzogchungpa on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Ivo

Post by Ivo »

Malcolm wrote:
Ivo — rig pa is the knowledge of a very specific thing, one's primordial state. This is very, very subtle and cannot be accessed through a coarse mind that is engaged in reading a book, not matter how nice those words are.

We are talking about a beginner, someone who has never met George. They might see George every day on the subway, but they will never know who George is. However, when they are at last introduced to George by someone who knows George, they will say, "Oh, I see you everyday on the Subway." After that point, they will always recognize George, even if he changes his suit, hat, shoes, etc. But without that introduction, they will never recognize George, and George, being rather disinterested in people, will never walk up and introduce himself, saying, "I am George."
Well... I completely agree with this.
Malcolm wrote:
Yeah, it pretty much is, if it is not presented to a proper student in a proper way, complete with the oral transmission of the text and accompanying introduction.
But not with this... We are discussing the terma tradition here. It is not just a book, not even for a complete beginner. But going further with this discussion, even if we manage to do it with good intentions may not be suitable for a public forum.
Dzogchen is an intimate instruction that does not depend on a scripture. This is the point that is lost on steve.
Agree with this.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Ivo wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Well... I completely agree with this.
Malcolm wrote:
But not with this... We are discussing the terma tradition here. It is not just a book, not even for a complete beginner. But going further with this discussion, even if we manage to do it with good intentions may not be suitable for a public forum.
Agree with this.
I think the George thing can be right under the surface for some individuals, for others, it may take longer, and I've had Nirmanakayas in the form of teachers come up and introduce themselves "I'm George" which implies they care very much, more than most of us here can know, for me the outer "George" was the same as the inner "George"... and it's still that way, so there isn't a line of separation, what's outside is what is inside and what's inside is what is outside, so if your outside looks a certain way, thats YOU and nobody else, you created it, including whether you see a Nirmanakaya inside or outside or both at the same time. Everybody is different, some can understand immediately, some take more time, and some take ages, but people shouldn't be lumped into "he or she is just a beginner" when it comes to Dzogchen as CHNN has said again and again while giving teachings.

I agree fully with Ivo, he understands that the text itself is no different from the Guru, and both are Nirmankayas in this world imho.

Well done Ivo... I thought you were a little flakey at first but you bake up well after a while...

:twothumbsup:

:good: : Ivo!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ivo wrote: But not with this... We are discussing the terma tradition here. It is not just a book, not even for a complete beginner.
Yes, it is just a book, even for an advanced yogi. There is nothing special about a terma text that makes it superior to say a sūtra or a tantra in terms of blessings. This is just superstition. Of course there are some texts that can plant a positive connection in a person's mind so they can make a connection with the lineage at a future time. Even so, texts are always something relative and something quite limited.

Termas are also part of the oral tradition. They are held to have been orally taught by Padmasambhava [or someone else, like Saraha] to a specific person at a specific time and place, and when they are unpacked by the predicted terton, he again gives the oral transmission as he received it, thus continuing it without a break. Also tertons, by definition, must be realized Dzogchen masters.

Mahāyāna Sutras are actually termas. So are all Tantras.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Malcolm wrote:
Ivo wrote: But not with this... We are discussing the terma tradition here. It is not just a book, not even for a complete beginner.
Yes, it is just a book, even for an advanced yogi. There is nothing special about a terma text that makes it superior to say a sūtra or a tantra in terms of blessings. This is just superstition. Of course there are some texts that can plant a positive connection in a person's mind so they can make a connection with the lineage at a future time. Even so, texts are always something relative and something quite limited.

Termas are also part of the oral tradition. They are held to have been orally taught by Padmasambhava [or someone else, like Saraha] to a specific person at a specific time and place, and when they are unpacked by the predicted terton, he again gives the oral transmission as he received it, thus continuing it without a break. Also tertons, by definition, must be realized Dzogchen masters.

Mahāyāna Sutras are actually termas. So are all Tantras.

You will change your mind over time, it isn't "just a book".

:sage:

Return to “Dzogchen”