The Nature of Obscuration in Dzogchen

heart

Re: The Nature of Obscuration in Dzogchen

Post by heart »

EPK once told me that Tulku Urgyen sometimes said that the obscurations was like having a paper bag over your head. That every time you recognised the natural state it was like you were punching a hole in that paper bag. Through that hole you will have a short experience of the natural state and then you would get distracted with the paper bag again. Eventually the paper bag will be mostly holes and one day it just fall off, full enlightenment.

Thinking about that over the years I have formed the idea is that purification and accumulation of merit is really helpful to punch hole in that paper bag. In fact without tremendous purification and merit it will not even happen once.

Happy new year everyone!

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

This is a great thread. Very helpful.

In regards to Dzogchen, where is the best place to start with Mipham?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Tao

Post by Tao »

Excelent thread, deep bow for the writers: Malcom, Krodha & Florin.

Sincere thanks
Natan

Post by Natan »

The problem with some of these examples is that they imply some reality or materiality with regard to the ignorances. They really and truly are delusions. Their is truly no sheath or veil. It's as if one has to talk the common babble but it doesn't give it substance. The best example is the rope mistaken for a snake. When the light comes on, the snake is not burned or destroyed. You don't poke holes in it until it crumbles. It doesn't go anywhere, because it never was there. So if you want to graduate from elementary school examples and talk like a grown up, I suggest dropping these examples. They are meant for children and uneducated people. The lamas know this.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Crazywisdom wrote:The best example is the rope mistaken for a snake. When the light comes on, the snake is not burned or destroyed. You don't poke holes in it until it crumbles. It doesn't go anywhere, because it never was there.
Time is the snake.

:sage:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

Crazywisdom wrote:The problem with some of these examples is that they imply some reality or materiality with regard to the ignorances. They really and truly are delusions. Their is truly no sheath or veil. It's as if one has to talk the common babble but it doesn't give it substance. The best example is the rope mistaken for a snake. When the light comes on, the snake is not burned or destroyed. You don't poke holes in it until it crumbles. It doesn't go anywhere, because it never was there. So if you want to graduate from elementary school examples and talk like a grown up, I suggest dropping these examples. They are meant for children and uneducated people. The lamas know this.
"Some examples"? I am pretty sure you only mean my post old friend :smile: . The rest of posts have that high intellectual standard that you feel comfortable with. But I like Tulku Urgyens example, I am sorry if you don't get it.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

"The Uttaratantra" is full of analogies that use material objects to make its points: clouds covering the sun, gold in ore, a statue wrapped in rags, etc. It's one of the seminal texts for these kinds of ideas.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

smcj wrote:"The Uttaratantra" is full of analogies that use material objects to make its points: clouds covering the sun, gold in ore, a statue wrapped in rags, etc. It's one of the seminal texts for these kinds of ideas.
But if you take them literally, your view will be no better than the Hindu view of self, which is why they require interpretation.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vasana wrote:This is a great thread. Very helpful.

There is very little that is published out there.

M
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Vasana wrote:This is a great thread. Very helpful.

Luminous Essence, his guide to the Guhyagarbha Tantra, is really good.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Some of us evidently have found Mipam on Buddhanature by Douglas Duckworth to be helpful, though it is academic (but not as academic as others).

Anyen Rinpoche's book Journey to Certainty covers a lot of Mipham's views in plain English.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser

Return to “Dzogchen”