Mahamudra same as Dzogchen?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Mahamudra same as Dzogchen?

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:This is because they are teaching Mahāmudra as a goal. Dzogchen (and actual Mahāmudra) is not a goal.
Nope. They are not teaching that the goal of the practice is to achieve Mahamudra, they teach that all practice IS Mahamudra.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Well, when they are practicing HYT practices, they are not practicing Dzogchen.
Okay, that is the point that needed clarification.

My teachers, so far, teach that all practice is ultimately Mahamudra practice.
This is because they are teaching Mahāmudra as a goal. Dzogchen (and actual Mahāmudra) is not a goal.
Well, I would interpret that they are teaching Mahamudra as a path. I agree it is not a "goal," but based on perspective, it may be seen as one.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Okay, that is the point that needed clarification.

My teachers, so far, teach that all practice is ultimately Mahamudra practice.
This is because they are teaching Mahāmudra as a goal. Dzogchen (and actual Mahāmudra) is not a goal.
Well, I would interpret that they are teaching Mahamudra as a path. I agree it is not a "goal," but based on perspective, it may be seen as one.
Mahāmudra is generally approached as a goal to be realized through gathering the two accumulations and so on, no?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

You can still apply Dzogchen view to the other practices.
One of Dudjom Rinpoche's Medicine Buddha sadhana's (terma) involves a frontal visualisation only yet the commentary and view is very much Dzogchen.

In certain cases , if you have a specific connection with a deity or yidam then you might gain swifter results than if you practice without. Mantra and visualisation has a clear function in working with movement too. Appearance and movement that you might not otherwise be able to integrate as quickly dependent upon your aptitude.

As C.NnR says,if you practice Dzogchen, your practice it without limitations. If other methods help them use them.
Last edited by Vasana on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vasana wrote:You can still apply Dzogchen view to the other practices.
Yes, but nevertheless, this still working with mind. It is not the main point.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Malcolm wrote:
Vasana wrote:You can still apply Dzogchen view to the other practices.
Yes, but nevertheless, this still working with mind. It is not the main point.
Yes my point was that when the appearances of samsara continue post-equipose, seeing them as illusory reflections in a mirror like the example deities body ,can help in the process of learning not to rely on mind or be moved by appearances. Integrating mantra and appearances as self-risen and self liberating just as the S.o.v arises naturally as a dynamic expression.
Last edited by Vasana on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Mahāmudra is generally approached as a goal to be realized through gathering the two accumulations and so on, no?
No.

Not in my experience--though of course, there is a presentation of Mahamudra as "fruition," and gathering the two accumulations, etc., as path practices, along with pretty much every other practice one can engage in, including the two stages, leads to a "goal," there is also a way of understanding Mahamudra as "Ground" and "Path."

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
No.

Not in my experience--though of course, there is a presentation of Mahamudra as "fruition," and gathering the two accumulations, etc., as path practices, along with pretty much every other practice one can engage in, including the two stages, leads to a "goal," there is also a way of understanding Mahamudra as "Ground" and "Path."
Yes, I understand the presentation to which you refer, but simply put, Mahāmudra is on a cause and result continuum or it isn't.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
Malcolm wrote:This is because they are teaching Mahāmudra as a goal. Dzogchen (and actual Mahāmudra) is not a goal.
Nope. They are not teaching that the goal of the practice is to achieve Mahamudra, they teach that all practice IS Mahamudra.
Actually, what the Mahāsiddhas state is that everything is mahāmudra, it has nothing to do with whether one practices or not.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Malcolm wrote:
Astus wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Because people have relative circumstances.
What do you mean by that? Is Dzogchen not sufficient, or is it functional only for some people?
Astus, for example, let us say you are a Dzogchen practitioner, but you have a problem with alcohol. In order to overcome that problem, you might adopt the pratimokṣa vows until you overcome that problem.

Let is say that you have a clear sign your lifeforce is dwindling, then you might want to resort to various methods of cheating death and prolonging life.

Dzogchen practitioners can use various methods in order to overcome problems that arise because of impure vision and karma, but the actual path of Dzogchen is never based on concepts and mind, unlike mahāyoga and anuyoga, and the rest of the Buddhist and non-Buddhist vehicles. This is all very straight forward and explained at length in the primary literature of Dzogchen.
So even magic from other traditions is OK? Hindu tantra, Kabbalah, Egyptian magic, ATR stuff (except where it involves animal sacrifice)?

But then again even if I wanted to, I probably couldn't make those stuff work because I don't have faith in them.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MiphamFan wrote: So even magic from other traditions is OK? Hindu tantra, Kabbalah, Egyptian magic, ATR stuff (except where it involves animal sacrifice)?
If you are sufficiently bored, sure.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
Actually, what the Mahāsiddhas state is that everything is mahāmudra, it has nothing to do with whether one practices or not.
Yup. Practice just serves as a reminder of the fact. Others believe that practice is the means and Mahamudra is the result, which is not a wrong view, per se, either.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Others believe that practice is the means and Mahamudra is the result, which is not a wrong view, per se, either.
From the point of view of Dzogchen, this is a deviation of the lower vehicles.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:Others believe that practice is the means and Mahamudra is the result, which is not a wrong view, per se, either.
If one engages in KyeRim, for instance, which is mind-based, but with one's Awareness of the Nature permeating all mental activities, is that a deviation, in the Dzogchen system?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
If one engages in KyeRim, for instance, which is mind-based, but with one's Awareness of the Nature permeating all mental activities, is that a deviation, in the Dzogchen system?
If you think any mind based activity will result in buddhahood, it is a deviation from a Dzogchen POV.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
If you think any mind based activity will result in buddhahood, it is a deviation from a Dzogchen POV.
Thus, for one who practices Dzogchen, deity practices are either deviations--if one understands those practices to be means toward Buddhahood--or not, if one practices with other "goals" or "mundane needs" in mind?

philji

Post by philji »

Looking forward to this , out in October.
Attachments
Looking forward to this
Looking forward to this
image.jpeg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
:thumbsup:

Dudjom Rinpoche says the same:

The eight lower levels have intellectually fabricated and contrived that which is changeless solely due to fleeting thoughts that never experience what truly is. They apply antidotes to and reject that which is not to be rejected. They refer to as flawed that in which there is nothing to be purified, with a mind that desires purification. They have created division with respect to that which cannot be obtained by their hopes and fears that it can be obtained elsewhere. And they have obscured wisdom, which is naturally present, by their efforts in respect to that which is free from effort and free from needing to be accomplished. Therefore, they have had no chance to make contact with genuine, ultimate reality as it is (rnal ma'i de kho na nyid).------Wisdom Nectar
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
No.

Yes, I understand the presentation to which you refer, but simply put, Mahāmudra is on a cause and result continuum or it isn't.
It very much depends on the practitioner.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
Thus, for one who practices Dzogchen, deity practices are either deviations--if one understands those practices to be means toward Buddhahood--or not, if one practices with other "goals" or "mundane needs" in mind?
Mipham explains it well, in his commentary on Mañjuśrimitra's Meditation of Awakened Mind:
  • If it is asked, “What is the method of realizing the definitive meaning through the indirect method?,” since nonactivity is illustrated with the activity of fabricated efforts, like pointing to the moon with the finger, also awakened mind correctly grasped through a symbol will accomplish awakening, because the Bhagavan Buddha, the teacher of devas and humans, has declared that it is “great awakening.” Any unfortunate one who conceptualizes entities should make efforts in the indirect method of realization.
This unfortunate one is anyone who has not discovered vidyā, or has difficulty doing so.

And:
  • If one meditates generating the thought that the samadhis and the mudras are dharmatā, and therefore are not different, the ultimate awakened mind arises from that. If one actualizes the meditation, one realizes that all phenomena do not exist apart from one’s mind. The accumulations are gathered and obscurations are purified because of that meditation. One becomes realized through one’s continuum being blessed by the deity of pristine consciousness.

Return to “Dzogchen”