First encounter with Tibetan culture

Joelbjaques

First encounter with Tibetan culture

Post by Joelbjaques »

I encountered Tibetan Buddhism when my grandmother gave me books by a writer named Lobsang Rampa. This writer wrote fantastical stories of the lives of these Lamas living in Tibet.
Yogis melting ice with body heat... I do not remember many details it was like 45 years ago.
Later I learned this these were indeed imaginings by a very creative writer from England. But in a very mid construed way this writer has helped lead people to their teachers and their paths. So many can laugh at the new agers but how did you get here.
Boomerang

Re: First encounter with Tibetan culture

Post by Boomerang »

Before I was Buddhist, the initial spark that got me interested in Eastern religions was seeing an infographic on the web that falsely claimed the Vedas contained modern astronomical knowledge. It really makes me think about how karma and be both black and white.

The first time I ever thought about Tibetan Buddhism was when I met an occultist who also happened to be a Tibetan Buddhist. It was his opinion that Tibetan magic is as advanced as technology is in the Western world. I'm glad I had that experience.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I encountered Tibetan Buddhism in a library. In the early 80's, not much of any import had been translated accurately. But I read Guenther and Trungpa, and others. Evans-Wentz. In university, I met a Tibetan Geshe, and read some Berzin, Thurman, and believe it or not, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. But it was Kalu Rinpoche's writing that I strongly connected with, back in 1982-3.....and I have continued down that path since.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

My first encounter with Tibetan Buddhism was an ex-monk who was night auditor at the hotel I worked at in the 90s. he was hilarious, taught me dirty words, asked me to explain gay people in America to him (during a late night episode of Jerry Springer - seriously), and was generally really fun, kind, and relaxed. I remember being blown away by the wall to wall thangkas in the tiny little apartment he lived in. Took me many years before arriving at the Tibetan traditions, but the guy sure left me with a positive feeling towards them.

For Buddhism generally, my first exposure was (probably like a lot of people) A Buddhist Bible by Dwight Goddard. Easy text to knock, but that book set me on the path, and I still own my dog eared copy of it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
heart

Post by heart »

Kathmandu december 1984.The Boudhnath stupa made my heart beat faster. I loved the Tibetan people from the start, they where strong and beautiful and looked you straight in the eye. Met my Guru day two when I was told by some Tibetans that the big white Gonpa was renting out apartments to Westerners. Walked straight in to his reception room and asked him that, made him laugh a lot. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”