Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

heart

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by heart »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Jikan wrote:with regard to the upcoming (starting tomorrow) webcast:

Is there a publication coming out involving (or including) this tantra? Of course receiving the transmission on its own is important. I also wonder if it's intended to make certain studies and practices possible in the future too.
Yes, when I was in Tenerife last April Rinpoche said Shang Shung will be publishing the sgra thal gyur along with info from two separate commentaries, and Rinpoche's own commentary.
Wow, any idea when?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
krodha

Post by krodha »

heart wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:Yes, when I was in Tenerife last April Rinpoche said Shang Shung will be publishing the sgra thal gyur along with info from two separate commentaries, and Rinpoche's own commentary.
Wow, any idea when?

/magnus
Not sure when, hopefully soon. I thought you were there too when he made the announcement, it was last day (or maybe second to last day) of the retreat we were at. Although I do remember you had to leave early to catch your flight so perhaps he made the announcement after you left.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Wow, I've never been so happy to be wrong before. :rolling:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

asunthatneversets wrote:
heart wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:Yes, when I was in Tenerife last April Rinpoche said Shang Shung will be publishing the sgra thal gyur along with info from two separate commentaries, and Rinpoche's own commentary.
Wow, any idea when?

/magnus
Not sure when, hopefully soon. I thought you were there too when he made the announcement, it was last day (or maybe second to last day) of the retreat we were at. Although I do remember you had to leave early to catch your flight so perhaps he made the announcement after you left.
Probably, or maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention . :smile: Either way I am very happy now! Lets hope the webcast is solid.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
florin

Post by florin »

My advice is that we try to listen via audio only.
The video quality wasnt great in the last few webcasts from teneriffe.
There were delays, break ups and robotic like sound...
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

alpha wrote:My advice is that we try to listen via audio only.
I'm assuming the audio/sound constitutes the vital part of the lung more than vision then?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
florin

Post by florin »

Vasana wrote:
alpha wrote:My advice is that we try to listen via audio only.
I'm assuming the audio/sound constitutes the vital part of the lung more than vision then?
In this instance yes
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I have a practical question about the DC Phowa practice (yes I've had the lung for it) that a careful reading of the book The Phowa Practice hasn't answered. If anyone can offer some knowledge on it, please PM me, as I'd rather not discuss in the open forum. Thank you.
Apraksin

Post by Apraksin »

T. Chokyi wrote:If you're new to DC this means that the transmission is OPEN webcast, this means you do not have to be a member of the Dzogchen Community to attend this webcast.

Link to the Webcast Site:
http://webcast.dzogchen.net

There are links for the live webcast at the top of this webpage, see "LIVE WEBCAST", or the "LIVE TRANSLATION" link at the top of the page, there is also a "MOBILE" link. You can check out the webcast page in order to coordinate your time with the time of the webcast. The time at the retreat is located in the upper right hand corner of the webpage, that is the current time at the retreat's location where Rinpoche is located physically, that is the time you use so you can make sure to coordinate to your time. There is also a link for the world clock right underneath it if you want to use the world clock's calculation.
Every time I enter this page bitdefender warns me that the page contains malware, has the site administrator checked and made the site secure?

Thanks
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Apraksin wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:If you're new to DC this means that the transmission is OPEN webcast, this means you do not have to be a member of the Dzogchen Community to attend this webcast.

Link to the Webcast Site:
http://webcast.dzogchen.net

There are links for the live webcast at the top of this webpage, see "LIVE WEBCAST", or the "LIVE TRANSLATION" link at the top of the page, there is also a "MOBILE" link. You can check out the webcast page in order to coordinate your time with the time of the webcast. The time at the retreat is located in the upper right hand corner of the webpage, that is the current time at the retreat's location where Rinpoche is located physically, that is the time you use so you can make sure to coordinate to your time. There is also a link for the world clock right underneath it if you want to use the world clock's calculation.
Every time I enter this page bitdefender warns me that the page contains malware, has the site administrator checked and made the site secure?

Thanks
:shrug:

Since I posted the web site url for Rinpoche's web cast I will answer you to the best of my knowledge. This site is totally secure as far as I am aware, and there has been no announcement by the DC web cast team to the contrary.

In addition none of the DC members has posted anything about a problem, and I have not received any emails referring to any kind of security problem with Rinpoche's site from a DC gar or any other DC members. The site has been up and working quite well (running smoothly) for practitioners for some time and I have not heard anyone have a problem. My own malware program is up to date and has never come back with any problems and it is quite current.

It would be a shame if it is something to do with a setting in your malware/anti-virus program and then you miss a webcast due to some incompatibility. I have noticed that some programs can be incompatible with a site due to some setting, so maybe you could write the admin for your malware/anti-virus program and check those settings with their support people for your program bitdefender, also be very clear with them, have them give you the specifics as to why it is coming back with some kind of warning for you when you click on the url.

You can also request information first hand to the web cast site by writing them directly with your question at: [email protected]
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Vasana wrote:Hi everyone, a quick question.

Is it possible to practice the Varjrasattva yab-yum method (as found in Guru-Yoga book ) having just received direct transmission or does one need a specific empowerment or authorization to practice it?
bump. anyone?
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Vasana wrote:
Vasana wrote:Hi everyone, a quick question.

Is it possible to practice the Varjrasattva yab-yum method (as found in Guru-Yoga book ) having just received direct transmission or does one need a specific empowerment or authorization to practice it?
bump. anyone?

Generally any secondary practice which require mantras to practice, Rinpoche gives the lung for that practice by request at the last day of the web cast. He has said that mantras work if you get the lung for the practice and don't work if you don't have the lung, he has said this in several teachings, it's in a few of the booklets Rinpoche has released as well. If you contact your local Gar they will tell you how to contact Rinpoche with a request, or perhaps the head of your Gar will choose to pass that information (request) on to Rinpoche directly, and then you can get your answer directly, hope this helps.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Greetings all,

Here are two general questions to any DC members that could help.

In the Santi Maha Sangha book it mentions two methods to practice purification of the six lokas. We have many methods available to us in the DC.

Does any one know which Nyingtik cycle Rinpoche is using for the method where we simply visualize the seed syllables and then the three syllables with no other visualization?

Also in the Zernga practice taken from any paticular cycle?

Thanks all.

Bryan.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I will be at the DC retreat at Tara Mandala this July. Anyone else signed up for this? I'm interested in meeting DW people, of course, but also perhaps coordinating travel and logistics (I'm flying in from the east coast).
Dragpo

Post by Dragpo »

Regarding the recent London retreat "Ati Evolution" 22-24th May 2015, last time he came to London someone was kind enough to share a List of Lungs that he gave, I wrote most down but missed one or two, would someone have this list to share.

Thanks in Advance

Neil
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Dragpo wrote:Regarding the recent London retreat "Ati Evolution" 22-24th May 2015, last time he came to London someone was kind enough to share a List of Lungs that he gave, I wrote most down but missed one or two, would someone have this list to share.

Thanks in Advance

Neil
I also missed a few due to poor connection on the Sunday, the one's i noted were;

Short & Medium Tun, Green-Tara, Vajrapani, Red + blue garuda , Mandarava,Shitro, guru-yoga of Machig Labdrön (and Chöd practice i'm assuming?)

I believe the lung of Medicine Buddha in form of Guru-Rinpoche was given too, but my transmission cut out right after the first mantra. Everything after that on the Sunday i missed.

(feel free to list the others not mentioned.)
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Dragpo wrote:Regarding the recent London retreat "Ati Evolution" 22-24th May 2015, last time he came to London someone was kind enough to share a List of Lungs that he gave, I wrote most down but missed one or two, would someone have this list to share.

Thanks in Advance

Neil
Hi Neil,

Last Day at the end (Open Webcast):
Annuyoga System
Green Tara (root mantra) we combine with Ati Guru Yoga, then invocation from Atisha and chanting mantra (explained mantra) then gave White Tara, also gave action mantras of Green Tara (21 of Green Tara), suggested booklet, Odzer Chenma, Vajrapani, Red Garuda terma teaching Adzom Drugpa, also gave action mantra, Dark Blue Garuda from Changchub Dorje (gave two mantras one for one aspect one for another), Long life practice of Mandarava, also combined with Chudlen you should chant this mantra (gave), Shirto practice of Namchö Mingyur Dorje, Divination Dorje Yudronma, Long Life practice Guru Amitayus from Nyala Pema Dündul teaching (Guru Padmasambhava & Mandarava accomplish in Maratika cave) Guru Amitayus Long Life this was from Ayu Khandro from Nyala Pedma Dundul to me, Shitro Khorde Rongdrol from Changchub Dorje unique teaching from him so there is booklet so giving mantra for this, Purification of Six Lokas (do this combined with Medium Tun), 25 Space of Samantabhadra, Dorje Drollo terma teaching of Adzom Drukpa, Avalokiteshvara Korwa Tang Drup, mantra of Buddha of Medicine Buddha in general, then special mantra (medicine) combined with Guru Padmasambhava (Orgyen Menla), Dorje Gotrab, mantra for good or bad day (for operation: example), Rite of Sang (fire and smoke purify) from Adzom Drukpa, Naga offering, Serkyem offering for 8 classes offering by Nubchen Sangye Yeshe very famous teacher ancient time, strengthening capacity of fortune writing on dress strengthening life elements, then strengthening element of the body, then strengthening element of capacity, Chod condensed essence of the Chod (Jigme Lingpa), Guru Yoga Chod teaching (Machig Labdron) essence, second practice of Chod Lujin main practice of Chod, then invocation I'll read longer one (most words and terma of Jigme Lingpa), practice of Longsal Ngondro (also 100 syllable mantra of Vajrasattva), Simhamukha mantra from Ayu Khandro, Kalachakra mantra from Changchub Dorje, Invocation of Butter Lamp from Adzom Drugpa, Medium Tun, empowering Namkha and Lungta (Namkha is for harmonizing our own elements), Lungta (prayer flags) prepare Lungta etc, Marme Monlam invocation of the lamp I gave you already but when you have longer for practice then do puja of Tun then the longer invocation so then I give you lung of that, Rahula, Dorje Legpa, ok this is collection of the protection practices.

The Practice of Guru Medicine Buddha
http://melong.com/?p=1899
Dragpo

Post by Dragpo »

Thanks T. Chokyi and Vasana really helpful.
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

I was wondering about the last DC retreat, what exactly is the practice that was taught? Is there a corresponding booklet or some sheet? I see there was a sheet for a Longsal Ngondro from several years ago posted to the DC retreat resources page, but as it is not linked directly to the teaching just given, I am not 100 percent confident. Old website lay out was better I think with sheets and texts right next to the video player. Now they are all lumped together the last few years retreats on the resource page so it is more difficult to know which sheet you should use for the practice being taught at the retreat. I was a bit surprised that ChNN did not do a walk through on the practice for us. I attended the retreat only via webcast, saw every minute of it, and there was no practice demonstrated. I don't mean to complain just to say that it is different from how some of the other retreats have been done and I was wondering if there was any particularly meaningful reason for that. It occured to me, well, maybe the important point is simply that we try and do Vajrsattva 100 syllable in a state of contemplation, and not be to worried about Dzogchen Ngondro per se, that he main point is Vajrasattva and that after doing guru yoga, instead of the usual way, using a Vajrsattva practice to launch us into that state or in the general direction of such a state. There was brief mention of six lokas, but not much detail. I know, from my own possibly mistaken impressions, that it is possible to wage major warfare on your kleshas with the Dorsem Nasjyong, which is a DC practice that uses "reversal" of the 6 lokas, but as I understand from posts on this website, reversal of the 6 lokas is very different from purification of the 6 lokas. Again maybe this is just getting hung up on relative level hair splitting. Also, I have done a lot of Vajrsattva practice in various forms and have much faith in that alone, I wonder if that is all that is needed anyway and that maybe what is being taught by ChNN lately is that there are many ways to purify for Dzogchen, and most of them are good, not just Longsal Ngondro. I was glad enough to get the hint from the retreat to do Vajrsattva when i know I am in contemplation. Perhaps that was the point of the last retreat, I am not sure. I tried it and was amazed. Anyway, I will go over the retreat recordings I made with a fine toothed comb and see if I can glean what exactly the Dzogchen ngondro entails. Sorry in advance if what I have said here implies anything about ChNN's teaching that it isn't complete or clear, I don't mean to complain, I more than happy that we get them at all and perhaps things being not so crystal clear is good, it makes process what was taught a little more actively. Sorry to always be nothing more than more than a bit dense about everything every single time I post on here. OK everybuddy, stay cool, or go back to school!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Shemmy wrote: Anyway, I will go over the retreat recordings I made with a fine toothed comb and see if I can glean what exactly the Dzogchen ngondro entails.
Check out the rushan, semdzin and kumbhaka sections in The Precious Vase for relevant info - those are the dzogchen-specific preliminary practices.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell

Return to “Dzogchen”