Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Dronma

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dronma »

Fa Dao wrote:Thanks man..I knew that they represented the 5 elements, was just curious as to why I have seen so many different ones...they all had the 5 colors just not in the same order. Thought there might have been a reason why they were in different orders.
Yes, there are different orders of the colors. The one which we use during the Purification of the 5 Elements at the beginning of every practice is taken by Kriya Tantra as Rinpoche has explained many times, i.e. blue, green, white, red, yellow.
The correct order of the colors for Ati Guru Yoga is the following, starting from inside to outside: blue, green, red, yellow, white.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
krodha

Post by krodha »

Dronma wrote:
Fa Dao wrote:Thanks man..I knew that they represented the 5 elements, was just curious as to why I have seen so many different ones...they all had the 5 colors just not in the same order. Thought there might have been a reason why they were in different orders.
Yes, there are different orders of the colors. The one which we use during the Purification of the 5 Elements at the beginning of every practice is taken by Kriya Tantra as Rinpoche has explained many times, i.e. blue, green, white, red, yellow.
The correct order of the colors for Ati Guru Yoga is the following, starting from inside to outside: blue, green, red, yellow, white.
Yellow is on the outside, earth rests on water.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Dronma wrote:
I am sorry, but it is not! :smile:
Please, check it again....

Last edited by Dronma on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Thank you all..very helpful. Hopefully I am not the only one curious about this.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Dronma wrote:The one which we use during the Purification of the 5 Elements at the beginning of every practice is taken by Kriya Tantra as Rinpoche has explained many times, i.e. blue, green, white, red, yellow.
This is what I've been going by as in the purification of the 5 Elements :shrug:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Bhusuku

Post by Bhusuku »

Dronma wrote:The correct order of the colors for Ati Guru Yoga is the following, starting from inside to outside: blue, green, red, yellow, white.
Really? It's not that I don't believe you, but do you have a reference for that? I always visualize it in the same order as in the Purification of the 5 Elements, since in the short thun booklet (german version) it's the only order that's mentioned, and in the actual explanation of the Guruyoga it only says "white A in a five-colored thigle". However, I was always wondering why all the pictures show the colors in the order that you mentioned...
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

As far as I know, the order of the thigle's colours isn't really that important at all. Not during Guruyoga, in any case.
Last edited by treehuggingoctopus on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Mr. G wrote:
Dronma wrote:The one which we use during the Purification of the 5 Elements at the beginning of every practice is taken by Kriya Tantra as Rinpoche has explained many times, i.e. blue, green, white, red, yellow.
This is what I've been going by as in the purification of the 5 Elements :shrug:
Yes, this is correct for the Purification of the 5 Elements.
But the order of the colors change depending on the practice. I don't remember now which transmission was, but I have received a different arrangement of the colors than the two I mentioned before.
Nevertheless, during Ati Guru Yoga the correct order is the one which exists in the cover of the Tun Book, which I also posted here. :smile:
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I think heart's avatar shows the historical order -- it also corresponds with a real rainbow. It's the same as the purification of 5 elements but yellow and red switch places.
krodha

Post by krodha »

Dronma wrote:
asunthatneversets wrote:
Dronma wrote:
I am sorry, but it is not! :smile:
Please, check it again....
"Earth rests on water, water rests on wind (or "air"),
And wind rests on space;
But space itself does not rest on
These elements of air, water and earth.

Just so, our psycho-physical components, sensory elements, and sensory faculties
Rest on our karmic actions and emotional distortions,
While our karmic actions and emotional distortions themselves always rest
On our distorted psychic activity.

This distorted psychic activity
Rests on the purity of our mind,
Yet the nature of mind itself
Does not rest on any of these phenomena."
- Uttara-tantra
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

asunthatneversets wrote:
"Earth rests on water, water rests on wind (or "air"),
And wind rests on space;
But space itself does not rest on
These elements of air, water and earth.

Just so, our psycho-physical components, sensory elements, and sensory faculties
Rest on our karmic actions and emotional distortions,
While our karmic actions and emotional distortions themselves always rest
On our distorted psychic activity.

This distorted psychic activity
Rests on the purity of our mind,
Yet the nature of mind itself
Does not rest on any of these phenomena."
- Uttara-tantra

Asunthatneversets, the order of the colors of the 5 elements depends on the practice.
I am not going to participate in a discussion about that.
Everybody can ask for clarification from Rinpoche. :namaste:
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

It makes sense that the order has to do with the particular practice. With that in mind, there is the GY of the white A and now after the Longde retreat another one. (I wont mention the syllable but those that watched or do the practice know what it is) What, if any, is the difference between doing the two? (if necessary please PM me the answer)
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dronma wrote:...the order of the colors of the 5 elements depends on the practice.
[/color]
Yes, you are correct: there are two systems.

The Thun system: space, air, water, fire, earth. (e yam bam ram lam)

The Longsal system (which is the classical order of Indian cosmology): space, air, fire, water, earth (e yam ram bam lam).

Also these very same seed syllables in the latter system are also found in precisely the same order in Hindu element purification practice.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Malcolm wrote:
Dronma wrote:...the order of the colors of the 5 elements depends on the practice.
[/color]

The Longsal system (which is the classical order of Indian cosmology): space, air, fire, water, earth (e yam ram bam lam).

Also these very same seed syllables in the latter system are also found in precisely the same order in Hindu element purification practice.
If we're doing an Anuyoga practice, we would use the one in the thun?
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote:
[/color]

Thanks, but the tigle in dronmas post is space, air, fire, earth, water is that correct or not?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Mr. G wrote: If we're doing an Anuyoga practice, we would use the one in the thun?

Yes, always the Ati Guru Yoga is the same, even when it is linked with Anuyoga practices.
In fact, the Anuyoga practices which we have in the Tun book are composed by various levels, i.e. Purification of 5 Elements from Kriya Tantra, A from Atiyoga, Yidam from Anuyoga, long dedication of merits from Sutra etc.
Last edited by Dronma on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

heart wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
[/color]

Thanks, but the tigle in dronmas post is space, air, fire, earth, water is that correct or not?

/magnus
That Thigle was not made by me, but it is the official cover of the new Tun book which has been published by SSI with the advice of Rinpoche. :smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:

/magnus
Yes, as it should be IN THE THUN SYSTEM.

LONGSAL is different.

M
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mr. G wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
[/color]

If we're doing an Anuyoga practice, we would use the one in the thun?
It depends: if you are doing an Anuyoga practice like Jnanadakini you use the Longsal system. If you are doing something not connected with Longsal, you use Thun system. The system used in the Thun book comes from lower tantras.
Last edited by Malcolm on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Gotcha! Thanks all!
  • How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu

Return to “Dzogchen”