Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

kashmir

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by kashmir »

I found the prayer I was looking for at Lotsawa House the Prayer for Auspiciousness
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

T. Chokyi wrote:
pothigai wrote:I plan to participate in the next WWT on the 25th of July, I have a few questions regarding this.

In order for me to receive transmission/direct introduction, how essential is it that I get all of the mantras/visualisations for the practice exactly correct? If I get something wrong is the transmission in some way invalidated?

During the transmission, will rinpoche explain or give some sort of prompts for visualisation as we go along, or should I memorise the entire practice? Would it be okay for me to read off the practice text as a support?

Lastly, after the WWT, what should I base my daily practice off? I've heard things such as the the 'Tun', 'Cycle of Day and Night' and the Guru Yoga book mentioned, but I'm not sure how all of this fits into the path for practice.

Thankyou :thanks:
Because of your location, it maybe a good idea to collaborate locally. You are in Sydney Australia so the group there has a contact with phone and address here:
http://www.dzogchen.org.au/

It's wise to contact the center nearest to you.

As to your first question, it isn't really important to get all visuals "perfect" or "clear" the first time around, that kind of clarity develops over time. It's more important to get the "feel" and to follow Rinpoche the best you can, the transmission won't be invalidated at all by your effort, don't worry, just "do your best".

Your second question: You can go over the practice ahead of time by yourself, you can read along with Rinpoche, and ahead of time you can go over it with someone from the group I gave the link for, it is always a good idea to collaborate, this way you've done what you can from your side to help yourself ahead of time.

Lastly, Rinpoche says that the Guru Yoga of the White AH and Tigle would be the daily practice, however a practitioner can combine this practice with the Tun book depending on time, and learn the practices in it and apply those as your time permits, as you know there is a short, medium, and long version, learning the Ganachakra and learning how to do the sadhanas on the special days of the month isn't so hard, Rinpoche gives the lungs for these texts quite often and also many other secondary practices, the main practice is Guru Yoga.

You have excellent questions, and from your questions it shows that you are a very thoughtful person, so if I were you I'd connect with the secretary for http://www.dzogchen.org.au/ Namgyalgar, and therefore if you have questions in the future you will have local people who you can talk with, but of course, no pressures.
Do you need a lung for the Tun book? After the WWT, what would you say are the "essential texts" that are necessary for establishing a daily practice you can do at home that you don't need any further transmissions for?

It sounds like there are loads of practices you can be doing. I remember in particular someone talking about the Rushens and Semdzins as being useful for clarifying doubt about rigpa. Which text contains that practice, and do you need further instructions or a lung in order to practice that, or is the transmission enough to guide you in that domain?
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

chimechodra wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:
pothigai wrote:I plan to participate in the next WWT on the 25th of July, I have a few questions regarding this.

In order for me to receive transmission/direct introduction, how essential is it that I get all of the mantras/visualisations for the practice exactly correct? If I get something wrong is the transmission in some way invalidated?

During the transmission, will rinpoche explain or give some sort of prompts for visualisation as we go along, or should I memorise the entire practice? Would it be okay for me to read off the practice text as a support?

Lastly, after the WWT, what should I base my daily practice off? I've heard things such as the the 'Tun', 'Cycle of Day and Night' and the Guru Yoga book mentioned, but I'm not sure how all of this fits into the path for practice.

Thankyou :thanks:
Because of your location, it maybe a good idea to collaborate locally. You are in Sydney Australia so the group there has a contact with phone and address here:
http://www.dzogchen.org.au/

It's wise to contact the center nearest to you.

As to your first question, it isn't really important to get all visuals "perfect" or "clear" the first time around, that kind of clarity develops over time. It's more important to get the "feel" and to follow Rinpoche the best you can, the transmission won't be invalidated at all by your effort, don't worry, just "do your best".

Your second question: You can go over the practice ahead of time by yourself, you can read along with Rinpoche, and ahead of time you can go over it with someone from the group I gave the link for, it is always a good idea to collaborate, this way you've done what you can from your side to help yourself ahead of time.

Lastly, Rinpoche says that the Guru Yoga of the White AH and Tigle would be the daily practice, however a practitioner can combine this practice with the Tun book depending on time, and learn the practices in it and apply those as your time permits, as you know there is a short, medium, and long version, learning the Ganachakra and learning how to do the sadhanas on the special days of the month isn't so hard, Rinpoche gives the lungs for these texts quite often and also many other secondary practices, the main practice is Guru Yoga.

You have excellent questions, and from your questions it shows that you are a very thoughtful person, so if I were you I'd connect with the secretary for http://www.dzogchen.org.au/ Namgyalgar, and therefore if you have questions in the future you will have local people who you can talk with, but of course, no pressures.
Do you need a lung for the Tun book? After the WWT, what would you say are the "essential texts" that are necessary for establishing a daily practice you can do at home that you don't need any further transmissions for?
Yes. Rinpoche gives lungs for the Tun quite often during the open retreats, especially at the end of the retreat.
You can do the Guru Yoga of the White Ah and Tigle after getting the transmission on July 1st actually, see the link below where it says " 5:00-7:00 PM (Eastern Time)- Chögyal Namkhai Norbu: Introduces this retreat's teaching & transmits Ati Guru Yoga

This is all going to be webcast openly (meaning anyone can attend, including online) so this will happen shortly:
http://tsegyalgar.org/localcenters/tseg ... hchoegya4/

Wherever it says "Chögyal Namkhai Norbu" on this page, thats where they will be broadcasting Rinpoche live, so basically they will broadcast the teachings and he generally gives transmission of Ati Guru Yoga every time he teaches, also many lungs for secondary practices on the last day, but what is important is to listen to the teachings. Rinpoche will explain step by step what to do and what the visual is etc... on the day he transmits the Ati Guru Yoga.

Just a side, but make sure to convert the Eastern Time zone USA to your time zone. :smile:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

chimechodra wrote:
It sounds like there are loads of practices you can be doing. I remember in particular someone talking about the Rushens and Semdzins as being useful for clarifying doubt about rigpa. Which text contains that practice, and do you need further instructions or a lung in order to practice that, or is the transmission enough to guide you in that domain?

Yes, Rinpoche gives these teachings, also sometimes Rinpoche has some of the senior students help new people in The DC who are learning them for the first time, sometimes when Rinpoche gives teachings some of the senior members will help with those teachings (positions, visualization etc). I'm pretty sure many senior students have learned them well, so this is one of the reasons Rinpoche stresses collaboration. I remember not that long ago Rinpoche was going to give a teaching on an important Dzogchen tantra with commentary etc... but he left the text behind so he switched out to the teachings on Rushen, so it was offered in person and online not that long ago in Conway (USA). I do believe the transmission is enough, but getting guidance on what you might miss the first time (maybe a visual) could be important, that's why it maybe good to collaborate locally. I didn't check the bookstore for booklets, but if you need info you can write them. :smile:
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Thanks for the help guys! Unfortunately I also live on the east coast and work until 6 PM, so I don't think I'll be able to access the transmission happening this Wednesday.

Perhaps a silly question but, like the transmission, can you also receive the lung for these extra practices via webcast as well? In general is it safe to assume that if he's transmitting a text via webcast, then you're receiving the proper lung to continue to practice this on your own? Sounds like a really generous policy, after going to WWT it seems that you can just tune into the webcasts whenever possible and gain access to the current teachings he is offering, and coordinate your practice from there? And that's how you'd get access to Rushen/Semdzin/Tun practices, or whatever other secondary practices he offers at the end of retreats? Apologies for the barrage of questions!

My plan right now is to attend the WWT ceremony on July 25 at my local Ling (I live in NYC) and from there find someone who is willing to answer all my questions in detail about practice! In the meanwhile, if there are any other resources that people would recommend reading, that would be much appreciated!
Paul

Post by Paul »

chimechodra wrote: Perhaps a silly question but, like the transmission, can you also receive the lung for these extra practices via webcast as well?
Yes.

Rushan and semdzin don't require a lung.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Thank you Paul. Would this be the appropriate e-book to purchase after receiving transmission to study the Rushens/Semdzins?

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=829

Many thanks for everyone's help!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes. Same with 21 Semdzins of the Dzogchen Upadesha, The Precious Vase and The Song of the Vajra.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

chimechodra wrote:Thank you Paul. Would this be the appropriate e-book to purchase after receiving transmission to study the Rushens/Semdzins?

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=829

Many thanks for everyone's help!
I have that book and it's very good, it is a compilation of Rinpoche's oral teachings concerning those subjects from eight retreats, from 1981 to 1994.

There is also a small booklet on the Dzogchen State and the Semdzin of the syllable Phat (small booklet). The book Precious Vase and the book on Song of the Vajra are important.

Quick search for you:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... d=Semdzins

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=281

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=239
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Appreciate all the help! Very much looking forward to getting through all this material once I've received transmission. Do you need membership to buy these books as well, or just solely transmission?
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Can anyone explain what the upcoming teaching on the 25 Spaces of Samantabhadra is about?

Thanks!
florin

Post by florin »

Some info here http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=645
http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=832

From what i remember one has to has some knowledge of contemplation and is practiced similar to SOV.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

chimechodra wrote:Appreciate all the help! Very much looking forward to getting through all this material once I've received transmission. Do you need membership to buy these books as well, or just solely transmission?

You're welcome.

This is a link for the public books:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... x&cPath=88

This link explains what "reserved" means when buying on the site:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... x&cPath=74

Conditions of Use: http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... conditions

Quote:
"I hereby certify that when buying any RESTRICTED item(s) I have received Direct Introduction from Choegyal Namkhai Norbu, have received the specific lung transmission for any practice materials including mantras, and have attended the retreat (either by webcast or in person) for any retreat mp3 I am purchasing."

When you contact the bookstore when they re-open after this retreat you can ask them what they consider to be several of the most informative books, there are books like "Crystal and the way of Light"," Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State", "The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde Kunjed Gyalpo".

I like the book on Guru Yoga:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=539

Becoming a member is a good thing imho, doing that helped my practice in so many ways, because you can listen to the teachings again, or if you missed a teaching because perhaps it was at a time you couldn't listen, then you have a way to log in and listen.

I'm happy for you.

:namaste:
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

T. Chokyi wrote:
chimechodra wrote:Appreciate all the help! Very much looking forward to getting through all this material once I've received transmission. Do you need membership to buy these books as well, or just solely transmission?

You're welcome.

This is a link for the public books:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... x&cPath=88

This link explains what "reserved" means when buying on the site:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... x&cPath=74

Conditions of Use: http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... conditions

Quote:
"I hereby certify that when buying any RESTRICTED item(s) I have received Direct Introduction from Choegyal Namkhai Norbu, have received the specific lung transmission for any practice materials including mantras, and have attended the retreat (either by webcast or in person) for any retreat mp3 I am purchasing."

When you contact the bookstore when they re-open after this retreat you can ask them what they consider to be several of the most informative books, there are books like "Crystal and the way of Light"," Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State", "The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde Kunjed Gyalpo".

I like the book on Guru Yoga:
http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=539

Becoming a member is a good thing imho, doing that helped my practice in so many ways, because you can listen to the teachings again, or if you missed a teaching because perhaps it was at a time you couldn't listen, then you have a way to log in and listen.

I'm happy for you.

:namaste:
Thank you! I finished reading the Guruyoga book and I've been working through Crystal and the Way of Light, which was recommended to me earlier when I first started looking into ChNN's teachings. With regards to replays through memberships, do they have archives of retreats that are available when you become a member, or is it just a replay of the most recent retreat? How long do they stay available, and if you miss something but watch a replay with a lung/transmission, does that count as receiving it as well?

We really live in an incredible time where such profound teachings are so easily accessible. Very grateful for the generosity of ChNN and what seems to be a very healthy and generous community!
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

chimechodra wrote:
Thank you! I finished reading the Guruyoga book and I've been working through Crystal and the Way of Light, which was recommended to me earlier when I first started looking into ChNN's teachings. With regards to replays through memberships, do they have archives of retreats that are available when you become a member, or is it just a replay of the most recent retreat? How long do they stay available, and if you miss something but watch a replay with a lung/transmission, does that count as receiving it as well?

We really live in an incredible time where such profound teachings are so easily accessible. Very grateful for the generosity of ChNN and what seems to be a very healthy and generous community!
It is an incredible time, and you're right, CHNN has been very generous, so actually it's not a whole archive that is readily available, but it is usually the most recent retreat in an audio form, and usually there are several other retreats there that came the time before, and possibly the time before that etc... but they are not in a visual form, only audio, however if you have the lung etc and want to request an archived retreat you can write in and request it. The replays are usually there for a month or more, and if you miss a lung/transmission it means you missed it for that particular time, because you can't get it from replays according to what Rinpoche instructs, but you would most likely be able to get the lung in the future as he repeats the lungs for the secondary practices quite often.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

T. Chokyi wrote:
chimechodra wrote:

It is an incredible time, and you're right, CHNN has been very generous, so actually it's not a whole archive that is readily available, but it is usually the most recent retreat in an audio form, and usually there are several other retreats there that came the time before, and possibly the time before that etc... but they are not in a visual form, only audio, however if you have the lung etc and want to request an archived retreat you can write in and request it. The replays are usually there for a month or more, and if you miss a lung/transmission it means you missed it for that particular time, because you can't get it from replays according to what Rinpoche instructs, but you would most likely be able to get the lung in the future as he repeats the lungs for the secondary practices quite often.
Ah I see, thank you! That sounds like a very useful resource.

Also it seems that luck has turned in my favor and I will actually be able to attend tomorrow's transmission in person! There's a small part of me that's slightly worried if I might be rushing into this, but there's a greater part that feels very confident about the situation. I figure if my karma has put me in this direction, then there's no reason not to have full trust in that. I almost attended the WWT earlier this year but decided against it at the last minute. Things feel very different now, and the momentum towards this feels inevitable. Very much looking forward to it!
kashmir

Post by kashmir »

Does any one have any information regarding the kalacakra anuyoga practice?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Incidentally...

Tsegyalgar West, a many of you know, was badly damaged in a heavy storm last year. The good folks there are still trying to restore it. If you'd like to help, or at least spread the word among those who may be able to do so, go to the Indiegogo website and search for "Los Naranjos Nature Reserve" (the other name for TW).
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

It made me quite happy to watch Rinpoche teach today. Mostly because it seeme to make him happy. He was teaching a group of students who were educated in the tibetan tradition. This was good to see.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
Garudavista

Post by Garudavista »

Dear Vajra Brothers and Sisters,

I am a DC practitioner who lives in central Pennsylvania (near Harrisburg), and I am looking for any other DC practitioners who live within a 100 mile radius of Harrisburg so I may contact them to see if they are interested in getting together for group practice. If you are a DC practitioner who lives in Pennsylvania or know of a DC practitioner who lives in Pennsylvania, please private message me.

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Dzogchen”