Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Malcolm »

Blue Garuda wrote: Does it apply to all practitioners that they benefit the animal by eating it, or only those who are able to do so when in the natural state, as I am unsure how many DC members are at that level where it would be much help?
You can use a mantra as a support for blessing, such as om ah hum, or འ་ཧ་ཤ་ས་མ, or if you have the confidence of instant presence, that is sufficient. In any case, the main point is not to remain passive -- this is the fault of Mahāyāna style vegetarianism.

M
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Malcolm wrote:this is the fault of Mahāyāna style vegetarianism.

M

Mahayana is fine for what it is.
Dzogchen is fine for what it is.
No need for comparisons and conceptual conclusions.
Sectarianism is not necessary at all.
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Wow, this is all so crazy. Last week someone brought some dried Italian sopressata sausage into work. It was delicious, and I understood somehow that it was good for treating rlung. I got the recipe from them and decided that I might try to make some myself. Then I started thinking about blessing it to create a casue for the beings who it is made up of and in the next webcast the master talked about the benefits of singing the Song of Vajra and the six sylabble mantra with blessing food and in general. I thought, of course! I got the idea to make, hang and dry some sausage (and possibly smoke it too I'm not sure yet) and sing the Song of the Vajra everyday in the room where it hangs. Now Rinpoche specifically mentions sausage... lol.

Anyway, if the beings are already dead it is better to make the connection with them!

Beings will always die for your food, see the Great Vegetarian Debate thread.

Kevin
Pero

Post by Pero »

Blue Garuda wrote:If you are talking of those who are practising actual Dzogchen as opposed to the DC members who have yet to experience it, the latter should all therefore be vegetarian.
There is no "should". Also there are other options like the six spaces mantra.
If I can create the cause for an animal not to be killed, or create a cause for its liberation in a way other than by eating it, is that wrong?
Not at all. But just by not eating it you're not creating any causes for their liberation.
How about those who will not eat meat unless the animal died naturally or in an accident? Those people can surely also create the causes for its liberation, so why not personally seek out those animals instead of using animals bred for slaughter?

I don't know where you live but over here it would be pretty odd if I started bringing dead cats and mice back home and ate them. Which are about all the accidentaly dead animals I encounter.
Must they have helped feed you to be worth liberating?

Ridiculous question.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Anybody here goign to be at the MA retreat? I am hoping to make it out there even if only for the 4'th, and possibly the 5'th (constraints due to work).

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Also, can anybody post the specific retreat schedule. I can't open the file. Thank you!

Kev
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Malcolm wrote:
Blue Garuda wrote: Does it apply to all practitioners that they benefit the animal by eating it, or only those who are able to do so when in the natural state, as I am unsure how many DC members are at that level where it would be much help?
You can use a mantra as a support for blessing, such as om ah hum, or འ་ཧ་ཤ་ས་མ, or if you have the confidence of instant presence, that is sufficient. In any case, the main point is not to remain passive -- this is the fault of Mahāyāna style vegetarianism.

M
Malcolm - I strongly agree that aversion or passivity can be very regrettable, and I do agree that we should use any possibility we have to help other beings. One Guru taught me to use mantras (or Phowa) when encountering any dead or dying being rather than just staring at it and feeling 'compassionate' sympathy or empathy.

@Pero - some useful answers, thanks.

Believe it or not there are folk around here who really enjoy a tasty roadkill hedgehog, badger or deer - whatever they can 'forage' (the fashionable word for the year here) and in India I've seen chunks of roadkill camel disappear into villages at incredible speed. :)
Left
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Blue Garuda wrote:It would seem that I have a different view from ChNNR on this issue at the moment, so having discovered that for sure, I'll leave it there. ;)
I remember another critical point in ChNNR's view that hasn't been mentioned here. Saving animals from slaughter stops suffering for them in one of their lifetimes. Liberating animals from samsara stops an INFINITE amount of suffering over an infinite number of lives.
Sally Gross

Post by Sally Gross »

Sound is down on the webcast. Is it just me?
Dukkham eva hi, na koci dukkhito,
kaarako na, kiriyaa va vijjati,
atthi nibbuti, na nibbuto pumaa,
maggam atthi, gamako na vijjati

Suffering there certainly is, but no sufferer,
no doer, though certainly the deed is found.
peace is achieved, but no-one's appeased,
the way is walked, but no walker's to be found.

- Visuddhimagga XVI, 90
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

First sound disappeared, then picture disappeared.
Jacob

Post by Jacob »

Now it's back.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

What is the Dzogchen text he mentioned that he wrote down and edited?
Left
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

The sgra thal 'gyur tantra.

Edit: I should add, that it was the root tantra plus commentary as well.
Last edited by Norwegian on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Norwegian wrote:The sgra thal 'gyur tantra.
Thanks. :)
Left
Pero

Post by Pero »

Norwegian wrote:Edit: I should add, that it was the root tantra plus commentary as well.
Right, it's Vimalamitra's commentary on the tantra.

BTW, Malcolm, do you know if Rinpoche made his edition available somewhere? Do you have to write to him and ask him for it if you want it? Yudron was wondering some time ago and I didn't know.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
coolbreeze

Post by coolbreeze »

Hi All,

Is anyone else having trouble w/the webcast? It was up 5 minutes before start time, and now, nothing.
Pero

Post by Pero »

coolbreeze wrote:Hi All,

Is anyone else having trouble w/the webcast? It was up 5 minutes before start time, and now, nothing.
You messed up the time, the webcast's been over for about 1.5 hours now...
- Shabkar
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Event: Tsegyalgar East: Pre-Retreat Events
Date: July 2nd-3rd, 2012.

Tsegyalgar East: Pre-Retreat Events

Monday, 2 July
New info ref Jnnadakini Retreat

Rinpoche arrives lower Khandroling
Info. TBA

Tuesday, 3 July
3:30PM Car-pooling from Conway Schoolhouse to Khandroling
Please bring your own cushion.
4:00PM
Khandroling
Sang & Serkyem
Full Moon Ganapuja with Dance Tun in Costume
Khyentse Yeshe and Prima Mai's Birthdays

For more information about the July 4-10 Jnanadhakini Retreat with Chögyal Namkhai Norbu including link to updated retreat schedule, go to:
http://tsegyalgar.org/localcenters/tseg ... thchoegya/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

^^

Thankyou.

Kevin
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Where do you combine practice of Vajrapani with Guruyoga of Garab Dorje? Before or after the invocation? And also, what does the melody sound like?

Return to “Dzogchen”