Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Hansei

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Hansei »

Norwegian wrote:Rinpoche recommended chapter 12 of the Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle (theg mchog mdzod) by Longchenpa after having received the relevant transmission.
Thanks, Norwegian.

Regarding the chakra that Rinpoche gave at the retreat, does anyone know the correct way to fold it?

In case we'd like to have it in our house, is it okay for non-practitioners to see it?

Regards.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

Dechen Norbu wrote: I hoping I'm not out of line by saying that it could be beneficial for those wanting to understand him throughly to study some Buddhadharma. I'll explain. ChNN in a talk speaks about nirmanakaya, for instance. He will assume you know what it is. Or anuyoga. The same. These are only simple examples. Basically, when he speaks of a Buddhist concept, he assumes you know what he is talking about, most of the times. He explains very precisely Dzogchen. Excellent booklets and books are available to deepen study. So, to better appreciate his teachings, having some Buddhist background helps a lot, especially if one is not attending webcasts in a group. I'm saying this by experience, because my wife became very interested in his webcasts, but after the talks I had to spend a lot of time explaining Buddhist concepts to her. Finally I've decided to give her good books to read and now I only have to explain two or three concepts occasionally. So, I think knowing this could be beneficial for those thinking about assisting to the webcasts. Besides, with a good background one learns more and more easily, but that you know already.
I am in a similar situation like your wife. Which books do you recommend?
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

HandsomeMonkeyking wrote:I am in a similar situation like your wife. Which books do you recommend?
I'd recommend Beyond Words: http://shop.shangshungfoundation.com/en ... 41272.html
swooping

Post by swooping »

Oldbob,

Thanks for the information on the webcast (I meant to say thank you earlier, ...but I forgot my password!). I see that it's all up now. Yay! :-)
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
swooping

Post by swooping »

I have a general question for DC folks:

A while ago I was recommended a practice pamphlet "Santi Maha Sangha: preliminary practices of the base," which I got and have been really enjoying. The person who recommended it to me was very nice in sharing the melodies; but unfortunately I don't have a good ear for melodies until I've heard and practiced them several times, and I no longer remember how they go, so I've been either reciting them or singing them with a melody that seems to fit.

Does anyone know this pamphlet and no what melodies correspond to "Melody A" "Melody B" and "Melody C?"
Even more ideal would be a recording of these practices, since my Tibetan is not very good.

Thanks so much!
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

The retreat that begins this weekend; Longsal Atii Lam-gyi Ngondro.

Is it likely Rinpoche will give lung for this on the last day as usual or will it be near the begining?

I'm working next week so I know I wont be able to watch it all live but would like to at least schedule my work around the lung.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

Vasana wrote:The retreat that begins this weekend; Longsal Atii Lam-gyi Ngondro.

Is it likely Rinpoche will give lung for this on the last day as usual or will it be near the begining?

I'm working next week so I know I wont be able to watch it all live but would like to at least schedule my work around the lung.
Did Rinpoche give the lung today? I missed most of the teaching unfortunately and came in before the short tun transmission.
heart

Post by heart »

Since the text is pretty long Rinpoche will probably, as he normally does, give the "lung" as he goes. If you want it all and can't follow the teachings you should probably should request Rinpoche to give the full "lung" on the last day when he normally gives a lot of "lungs".

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

Pema Yolo wrote:
Vasana wrote:The retreat that begins this weekend; Longsal Atii Lam-gyi Ngondro.

Did Rinpoche give the lung today? I missed most of the teaching unfortunately and came in before the short tun transmission.
No, he didn't.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

swooping wrote:I have a general question for DC folks:

A while ago I was recommended a practice pamphlet "Santi Maha Sangha: preliminary practices of the base," which I got and have been really enjoying. The person who recommended it to me was very nice in sharing the melodies; but unfortunately I don't have a good ear for melodies until I've heard and practiced them several times, and I no longer remember how they go, so I've been either reciting them or singing them with a melody that seems to fit.

Does anyone know this pamphlet and no what melodies correspond to "Melody A" "Melody B" and "Melody C?"
Even more ideal would be a recording of these practices, since my Tibetan is not very good.

Thanks so much!
There is an mp3 recording available on Shangshungstore
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

While following this teaching the connection got lost a few times when Rinpoche was giving transmission in Tibetan.

Should I consider I have transmission for this teaching?

Regards.

PS: My feeling is that if I didn't get everything, then I don't, but maybe it doesn't need to be like that.
heart

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote:While following this teaching the connection got lost a few times when Rinpoche was giving transmission in Tibetan.

Should I consider I have transmission for this teaching?

Regards.

PS: My feeling is that if I didn't get everything, then I don't, but maybe it doesn't need to be like that.
Don't worry about that now, many days left on this teaching.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Thanks, Magnus.

Sometimes I have those kind of doubts. It is still not completely clear to me if we should count the lung as received if we are missing some part of the Tibetan transmission.

Basically, I'm afraid to proceed with the texts and practice and create some problem. (Not only this particular time, but every time I have Internet issues while following a teaching.)

Regards.
heart

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote:Thanks, Magnus.

Sometimes I have those kind of doubts. It is still not completely clear to me if we should count the lung as received if we are missing some part of the Tibetan transmission.

Basically, I'm afraid to proceed with the texts and practice and create some problem. (Not only this particular time, but every time I have Internet issues while following a teaching.)

Regards.
It is really beneficial to see Rinpoche (any master really) in person if you can. Your doubts come from not making a personal connection I think.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Hansei

Post by Hansei »

heart wrote:It is really beneficial to see Rinpoche (any master really) in person if you can. Your doubts come from not making a personal connection I think.

/magnus
I had the fortune to meet him. Maybe I think too much... :?

Regards.
heart

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote:
heart wrote:It is really beneficial to see Rinpoche (any master really) in person if you can. Your doubts come from not making a personal connection I think.

/magnus
I had the fortune to meet him. Maybe I think too much... :?

Regards.
Did you talk to him in person?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Hansei

Post by Hansei »

heart wrote:Did you talk to him in person?

/magnus
Yes. Once I asked him a few questions, at the end of a retreat.

Regards.
heart

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote:
heart wrote:Did you talk to him in person?

/magnus
Yes. Once I asked him a few questions, at the end of a retreat.

Regards.
You should talk with him more, ask any question that bother you no matter how stupid they sound. As long as the questions are about Dharma it will be all good. In my experience this is the way to arrive at confidence in your Lama and your practice.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Hansei

Post by Hansei »

heart wrote:You should talk with him more, ask any question that bother you no matter how stupid they sound. As long as the questions are about Dharma it will be all good. In my experience this is the way to arrive at confidence in your Lama and your practice.

/magnus
Thanks, Magnus.

Yes, maybe I should talk to him more. I'm quite new to the teachings and the community and still have much to learn.

Usually I try to find answers in the community because I know he's very busy and has thousands of students, so if I regard my question as simple I don't ask him.

Anyway, I've been having the feeling to contact him for some time now, so maybe that's what I should do.

Regards.
heart

Post by heart »

Hansei wrote:
heart wrote:You should talk with him more, ask any question that bother you no matter how stupid they sound. As long as the questions are about Dharma it will be all good. In my experience this is the way to arrive at confidence in your Lama and your practice.

/magnus
Thanks, Magnus.

Yes, maybe I should talk to him more. I'm quite new to the teachings and the community and still have much to learn.

Usually I try to find answers in the community because I know he's very busy and has thousands of students, so if I regard my question as simple I don't ask him.

Anyway, I've been having the feeling to contact him for some time now, so maybe that's what I should do.

Regards.
Just remember that the advice from the Sangha often comes often with an agenda. Try to put important questions only to the master.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Dzogchen”