Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Hansei

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Hansei »

If you have any problem you can try the translation streams.

http://webcast.dzogchen.net/index.php?id=translations

Russian and Spanish usually work well.
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

Long life to the true spiritual Masters - may they live long with good health and success in all things.

Perhaps for many who are following the teachings via the webcasts, it is very sad when the webcast drops out. This is not so important if you are listening to the webcasts from a curiosity, academic or an intellectual POV. However, if ChNNR is an important teacher for you, and you are listening to the webcast to get the transmissions / permissions as well as the special instructions to be able to understand and perform the practices, then, from a spiritual POV, even missing one word, perhaps, becomes a source of cognitive dissonance, frustration, and real unhappiness.

Perhaps for some serious newcomers, the dropouts are a showstopper, and not being able to afford the membership / books / recordings of the replays, they go elsewhere.

For myself, who is just a befuddled old guy – with no hope of attainments at all (also no fear of not-attaining, at all.) I am not going anywhere.

So to befuddle things a little in an attempt at understanding the current rules (to be unbefuddled by someone official.)

If you attend an open retreat, in person, doing your best to be attentive, (even if you are snoring) or if you are listening in webcast delayed, quasi-real time, to a retreat with half drop outs (and / or are snoring), you have then received the transmission from the Master. If you are a member of IDC, you then have authority to listen to the replay, buy the books / pamphlets / CDs and DVDS from SSI, and / or you can order an audio-only recording from the archives of SSI.

Whether you are a member or not, you have also received transmission and permission to do the practices taught in the retreat and read / hear see the media owned by someone else. So just showing up (physical participation) – counts for a lot in this model.

:soapbox:

The problem I have with this model is that it cuts out those who are not able to afford membership, or afford to purchase the media, or replays, from being allowed to have equal access to the Teachings. This separation of the haves and have nots, creates an artificial social hierarchy structure, with those who can afford these things on top.

My problem is that in my “understanding” of Dzogchen it simply is not possible to differentiate between those who have money, and those who do not, with relation to the right of equal access to the teachings for all. This is not a reasoned or intellectual decision, but is akin to trying to write on air or water. My differentiating capacity simply doesn’t function. The question of duality, with relation to higher and lower capacities, social position or wealth, simply does not arise. The intention to be of benefit to all sentient beings has no diferentiation or limit at all. The action side of this intention is to make the teachings available to anyone who is sincerely interested.

The capacity to "turn away" anyone who is sincerely interested does not exist.

A possible solution to these issues would be to allow anyone showing up (a sign of sincere interest) to have free / very low priced access to the media, replays, and recordings of replays.

I believe that some Dzogchen Masters are already teaching from an "allowing equal access to the Teachings" social structure. The phrase, “No one will be turned away due to lack of funds,” is incorporated into all of their advertisements for retreats. I believe that some Gars and Lings of the IDC already use this phrase.

If you agree with my befuddled view, perhaps you can write a short note to ChNNR, and / or the IG, to ask that this phrase be included with all of the advertisements for the IDC events.

Certainly we should all honor the wishes of the Master, but sometimes perhaps the social hierarchy is determined by those employed by the Master and is perhaps, less than ideal.

This is not meant as a criticism of the IDC, but just is being voiced as a sign of my sincere befuddlement.
It remains for the Master to clarify these things if he wants to.
With sincere befuddlement,
oldbob
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Most web casts are open,free.

Guru Yoga is the main practice in every retreat,no need for replay,videos, recordings to

do the best practice,Guru Yoga.

Dzogchen for everyone.
swooping

Post by swooping »

I apologize for an obvious question, but I haven't been keeping up with the recorded webcasts.
Do ALL open webcasts end up in the membership area?
If not, does anyone know if this current one will?
When I look inside and see that I am nothing, that is wisdom When I look outside and see that I am everything,that is love. And between these two, my life turns.
– Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat
- Ben Hecht
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

amanitamusc wrote:Most web casts are open,free.

Guru Yoga is the main practice in every retreat,no need for replay,videos, recordings to

do the best practice,Guru Yoga.

Dzogchen for everyone.
Yup

:soapbox:

– and if you can maintain Ati Guru Yoga 24/7, and not be disturbed by the 8 worldly conditions 24/7, then indeed it is Dzogchen for you. You don’t even need to sound the AH to enter contemplation / practice: whatever arises or doesn’t arise is integrated in Ati Guru Yoga.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p256523

If you are not in Ati Guru Yoga 24/7 then you need the secondary practices, one of which is Yantra / Tsa Lung as taught in this retreat.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p276914

Only yourself and your teacher can judge your spiritual progress.

If you are making believe that you are in contemplation 24/7, and don’t feel the need to do the secondary practices, then the direct introduction of the retreats becomes a kind of “Emperor’s new clothes” experience and then the “I got it, didn’t you?” feeling (even between you and yourself) perhaps becomes an ego trip / block to progress.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p272174
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p241247
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p187560
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p243242
and last but not least
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... es#p165748

In the fullness of time all of the 500 retreats will be available on-line, for free, with transmission and links to lineage holders.

Make the wish!

slowly, slowly

quickly, quickly

:heart:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

swooping wrote:I apologize for an obvious question, but I haven't been keeping up with the recorded webcasts.
Do ALL open webcasts end up in the membership area?
If not, does anyone know if this current one will?
So far as my experiance goes, all webcasts end up in the replay / members only section. The length of time they remain there, seems to vary depending on secondary causes. You can write to the webcast team if you need to know how long the replay's will be available. There is no technical reason the webcasts can't stay in the replay section forever.

In general i think is is good to listen / copy them quickly. Perhaps eventually it will be possible to have the webcasts appear in the replay section immediatly after the end of the session. I don't see any technical issue with this. Now it seems the replays appear about a day or so later.

ob
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Yup

If you are not in Ati Guru Yoga 24/7 then you need the secondary practices, one of which is Yantra / Tsa Lung as taught in this retreat. Says oldbob.

I have never heard Rinpoche say anything like this.

He does say Ati Guru Yoga is indispensable.

Never secondary practices.
davyji

Post by davyji »

amanitamusc wrote:Yup

If you are not in Ati Guru Yoga 24/7 then you need the secondary practices, one of which is Yantra / Tsa Lung as taught in this retreat. Says oldbob.

I have never heard Rinpoche say anything like this.

He does say Ati Guru Yoga is indispensable.

Never secondary practices.
I have heard Rinpoche say repeatedly, paraphrasing, aside from the main practices if one is having a problem then use the appropriate secondary practices, if one wants to. He has also said secondary practices can be done perhaps for enjoyment to gain positive results.
I practice hatha yoga & tsalung for fun often.
Simply try to recognize the natural state while performing secondary practices.
These are examples i have heard during many live webcasts.
I cannot speak to todays webcast, i was sleeping at 3AM.

dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

The essence of the elements is light
ChNN
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Here is Rinpoche.

Kevin
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Ah, it is time for music, I thought it was teaching.

Kevin :namaste:
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

What is going on here? Everyone just listens to music together for a while?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Pema Yolo wrote:What is going on here? Everyone just listens to music together for a while?
It's the Khaita Joyful Dances. You can read a little about it here (Rinpoche explains both in text and in video):
http://www.dzogchen.org.au/khaita---har ... space.html
http://tsegyalgar.org/theteachings/tibetanmoderndance/

For example, this song was used as the waiting song for before and after webcasts a couple years ago:
phpBB [video]

Rinpoche also communicated with several Tibetans in and outside of Tibet, who wrote Tibetan music. After this the ball started rolling, Rinpoche collected songs, and the Khaita Joyful Dances became a thing.
Pema Yolo

Post by Pema Yolo »

Norwegian wrote:
Pema Yolo wrote:What is going on here? Everyone just listens to music together for a while?
It's the Khaita Joyful Dances. You can read a little about it here (Rinpoche explains both in text and in video):
http://www.dzogchen.org.au/khaita---har ... space.html
http://tsegyalgar.org/theteachings/tibetanmoderndance/

Rinpoche also communicated with several Tibetans in and outside of Tibet, who wrote Tibetan music. After this the ball started rolling, Rinpoche collected songs, and the Khaita Joyful Dances became a thing.
Thank you for the info!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

NO, first there is generally singing, then there is dancing.
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

Does the Khaita also have a direct effect (like the breathing and yoga) on the channels and winds? Or it is primarily a social activity?
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

saraswati wrote:Does the Khaita also have a direct effect (like the breathing and yoga) on the channels and winds? Or it is primarily a social activity?
AFAIK it is mostly used for relaxation and practice of being present and integrating the movement. Rinpoche often quotes Milarepa who said that every movement is yantra or sth like that. :)
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Does anybody remember the name of the book with Longchenpa's commentary related to this teaching?
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Hansei wrote:Does anybody remember the name of the book with Longchenpa's commentary related to this teaching?
Rinpoche recommended chapter 12 of the Treasury of the Supreme Vehicle (theg mchog mdzod) by Longchenpa after having received the relevant transmission.
saraswati

Post by saraswati »

Miroku wrote: AFAIK it is mostly used for relaxation and practice of being present and integrating the movement. Rinpoche often quotes Milarepa who said that every movement is yantra or sth like that. :)
Indeed, that is why I included the word "direct" :). Incorporating movement is great, especially after those complicated pranayamas, but I didn't know if there was a teaching about the khaita (such as visualization or breathing while doing it) that I missed.
Let yourself become that space that welcomes any experience without judgement.
- Tsoknyi Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

saraswati wrote:
Miroku wrote: AFAIK it is mostly used for relaxation and practice of being present and integrating the movement. Rinpoche often quotes Milarepa who said that every movement is yantra or sth like that. :)
Indeed, that is why I included the word "direct" :). Incorporating movement is great, especially after those complicated pranayamas, but I didn't know if there was a teaching about the khaita (such as visualization or breathing while doing it) that I missed.
Oh sorry. :) Well as far as I know there's no kind of visualisation nor breathing method. It's basically just mindful dancing.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Dzogchen”