Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

ThoroughlyCutting

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by ThoroughlyCutting »

Hi guys, I'm new to the Community as well, and have no idea how to contact ChNN with questions. I don't want to pester him, but it'd be nice to have the ability to ask him pressing questions - it's the main reason I joined the DC to begin with. Please feel free to PM me to your satisfaction. I've had no luck with getting answers from... anyone, on this issue.
"I may attain the Great Perfection in this lifetime, but if not, at least I'll have been happy! Wah!" ~ Patrul Rinpoche
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Hi all,

As some of you know, been practicing for quite a while now, yet I'm rather new to the Dzogchen Community.

Was wondering what the usual way was to integrate one's former yidampractice within the DC style practices? Obviously all is there in Guru Yoga, I'm aware of that, yet I'd like to keep the connection in a more direct way, including some mantra recitation.

All informed suggestions welcome!
:namaste:

PS, the recent webcast/retreat was amazing. Looking forward to meet Rinpoche in Prague, if all goes well.
'I will not take your feelings seriously, and neither will you' -Lama Lena
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Is there any problem with continuing your yidam practice simply informed by whatever Dzogchen view/understanding you may be developing? Why do you call it "former"?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

ThoroughlyCutting wrote:Hi guys, I'm new to the Community as well, and have no idea how to contact ChNN with questions. I don't want to pester him, but it'd be nice to have the ability to ask him pressing questions - it's the main reason I joined the DC to begin with. Please feel free to PM me to your satisfaction. I've had no luck with getting answers from... anyone, on this issue.
He responds directly to emails.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Adamantine wrote:Is there any problem with continuing your yidam practice simply informed by whatever Dzogchen view/understanding you may be developing? Why do you call it "former"?
Excellent question! I guess mainly because I don't want to increase the number of practices, but keep it simple. In fact, make it more simple then it was. Moving more and more towards an Anuyoga style of practice. Seems I might just integrate it that way within the context of a Short Tun for example.
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Kelwin wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Is there any problem with continuing your yidam practice simply informed by whatever Dzogchen view/understanding you may be developing? Why do you call it "former"?
Excellent question! I guess mainly because I don't want to increase the number of practices, but keep it simple. In fact, make it more simple then it was. Moving more and more towards an Anuyoga style of practice. Seems I might just integrate it that way within the context of a Short Tun for example.
Honestly, it's best to possibly discuss this with the Lama you received the yidam practice from. Generally if it's a Mahayoga practice then it's taking too many liberties to turn it into an Anuyoga practice. But if the Lama that transmitted it to you is
realized and gives that permission only then would I have confidence in adjusting it. Or if ChNN alternately encourages that if you ask him personally. To change practices around ourselves or mix up different practices on a whim is not the best thing to do imho.

Is it a very long sadhana? How many pages?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Kelwin wrote:
Rinpoche is crystal clear on the issue of taking non anu deity practices and doing them in an anu style .It won't work.

There is not a more direct way to keep samaya than Ati Guru Yoga.
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Adamantine wrote:Honestly, it's best to possibly discuss this with the Lama you received the yidam practice from. Generally if it's a Mahayoga practice then it's taking too many liberties to turn it into an Anuyoga practice. But if the Lama that transmitted it to you is
realized and gives that permission only then would I have confidence in adjusting it.
I have discussed going in the Dzogchen direction, and I do have full and direct permission to integrate my former practices into any true practice of Guru Yoga. No problem there. Never really discussed integrating it in a different (anu-) style though. It just occurred to me recently as an option, and was curious if such a thing was common.
amanitamusc wrote:Rinpoche is crystal clear on the issue of taking non anu deity practices and doing them in an anu style .It won't work.
Thanks! I wasn't aware that Rinpoche made such statements. Any specific source or recent webcast that I can check out? Would be nice to hear him talk about it.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Kelwin wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Honestly, it's best to possibly discuss this with the Lama you received the yidam practice from. Generally if it's a Mahayoga practice then it's taking too many liberties to turn it into an Anuyoga practice. But if the Lama that transmitted it to you is
realized and gives that permission only then would I have confidence in adjusting it.
I have discussed going in the Dzogchen direction, and I do have full and direct permission to integrate my former practices into any true practice of Guru Yoga. No problem there. Never really discussed integrating it in a different (anu-) style though. It just occurred to me recently as an option, and was curious if such a thing was common.
amanitamusc wrote:Rinpoche is crystal clear on the issue of taking non anu deity practices and doing them in an anu style .It won't work.
Thanks! I wasn't aware that Rinpoche made such statements. Any specific source or recent webcast that I can check out? Would be nice to hear him talk about it.
I believe he spoke of this during the Tsalung retreat..If I'm mistaken on this someone will correct me.I'm certain i'm not though.
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

As an example, Rinpoche often mentions that once a group of people approached him, they formerly received an initiation of Yamantaka, and they asked if they could do it in anuyoga style. He said no.
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Kilaya. wrote:As an example, Rinpoche often mentions that once a group of people approached him, they formerly received an initiation of Yamantaka, and they asked if they could do it in anuyoga style. He said no.
It's a good thing they asked
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Thanks guys, this is useful!

Can I just act like an idiot though, and ask, why?
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Kelwin wrote:Thanks guys, this is useful!

Because this is the way how you received it from your teacher, we are not supposed to change things when it comes to practice and transmission. But as Rinpoche said a million times, you don't need to limit yourself in any way, you can happily do your sadhanas you received before, what actually matters is the View. However, if you insist on finding a way to do your yidam sadhanas in the anuyoga style, you either approach your former teacher and ask him about it, or find a teacher who transmits those specific sadhanas with the anuyoga method of visualization.
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

Kilaya. wrote:
Kelwin wrote:Thanks guys, this is useful!

Because this is the way how you received it from your teacher, we are not supposed to change things when it comes to practice and transmission. But as Rinpoche said a million times, you don't need to limit yourself in any way, you can happily do your sadhanas you received before, what actually matters is the View. However, if you insist on finding a way to do your yidam sadhanas in the anuyoga style, you either approach your former teacher and ask him about it, or find a teacher who transmits those specific sadhanas with the anuyoga method of visualization.
Ok, makes a lot of sense, and agrees with things I heard before. Thank you once more.

Somehow I still have to reconcile that it's not ok to change the way we received a practice, but it is ok to keep all commitments through doing any Guru Yoga, and it's also ok to recite the mantras of other practices after doing that Guru Yoga, which in fact often results in self-arising as that yidam.
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

Adamantine wrote:
ThoroughlyCutting wrote:Hi guys, I'm new to the Community as well, and have no idea how to contact ChNN with questions. I don't want to pester him, but it'd be nice to have the ability to ask him pressing questions - it's the main reason I joined the DC to begin with. Please feel free to PM me to your satisfaction. I've had no luck with getting answers from... anyone, on this issue.
He responds directly to emails.

For the love of Buddha, everyone stop emailing ChNN.
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

I think I probably know the answer to this question already, but figured it can't hurt to ask:

Is Ati Guru Yoga by itself able to maintain/strengthen your connection with the guardians/dharmapalas? Or, in order to build this relationship, is more elaborate practice absolutely necessary? Obviously I do what I can when I can, but I'm not sure I've read anything speaking one way or the other about this point as it pertains to the DC specifically.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

chimechodra wrote:I think I probably know the answer to this question already, but figured it can't hurt to ask:

Is Ati Guru Yoga by itself able to maintain/strengthen your connection with the guardians/dharmapalas? Or, in order to build this relationship, is more elaborate practice absolutely necessary? Obviously I do what I can when I can, but I'm not sure I've read anything speaking one way or the other about this point as it pertains to the DC specifically.
As ChNN says often, the protectors are in you. So yes, Guru yoga is sufficient.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

Malcolm wrote:
chimechodra wrote:I think I probably know the answer to this question already, but figured it can't hurt to ask:

Thank you Malcolm. :anjali:
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote:

The Protector is another name for a Buddha. Since that is one's own nature, Guru Yoga is invoking the protector.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

The Protector is another name for a Buddha. Since that is one's own nature, Guru Yoga is invoking the protector.
Here, I am referring to dharmapālas, not the Nātha [mgon po], a title of the Buddha.

Return to “Dzogchen”