Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Malcolm

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Malcolm »

Bob:

It is very straight forward — Rinpoche has stated countless times that if you are not actually participating during a webcast, you do not receive transmission and you do not receive the lung for whatever text he is teaching. The occasional lag time during the streaming is not an issue as long as you are actually participating in a webcast while it is happening, live.

Your anecdote regarding Jigme Lingpa is irrelevant.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote:Bob:

It is very straight forward — Rinpoche has stated countless times that if you are not actually participating during a webcast, you do not receive transmission and you do not receive the lung for whatever text he is teaching. The occasional lag time during the streaming is not an issue as long as you are actually participating in a webcast while it is happening, live.

What does participating while receiving a lung mean exactly?

Wanting the lung and paying attention?
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote:

It means you have to be listening to the teachings, not multitasking and surfing the internet.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote:
Motova wrote:

It means you have to be listening to the teachings, not multitasking and surfing the internet.
Thanks Loppon. :twothumbsup:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Everything Malcolm writes is exactly correct, and it is clear that he has a greater understanding of these things, than I do.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

There seems to have been a previous robust discussion of this issue, expressing many different viewpoints.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... ansmission

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p240712

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p231304

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... &start=320

and

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p231105

My 2 cents:

"Observe yourself" and "work with circumstances" trumps a hard and fast rule, "no transmission from recordings." :smile:

While I certainly do not have the capacity of Ven. Jigme Lingpa, I do not limit myself, and am completely content with all of the varieties of transmissions I have received from Ven. ChNNR.

Certainly it is very important to follow your teacher's instructions exactly and precisely as you understand them.

:heart:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

oldbob wrote:Everything Malcolm writes is exactly correct, and it is clear that he has a greater understanding of these things, than I do.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

There seems to have been a previous robust discussion of this issue, expressing many different viewpoints.

The only viewpoint that matters in this respect is ChNN's and he has made himself abundantly clear on this issue innumerable times to anyone who has ears to hear him.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

oldbob wrote:Please to remember that webcast transmission (an officially accepted means of transmission) is not / not simultaneous, but is delayed by several minutes.
Is it really that much? I didn't know that.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:
oldbob wrote:Please to remember that webcast transmission (an officially accepted means of transmission) is not / not simultaneous, but is delayed by several minutes.
This is not true. Sometimes, the video buffering can be a bit delayed, but the audio only is very much on track all the time. So people who are super neurotic about digital lag times can elect to follow audio only. Actually, they should really sit in Rinpoche's lap so there is virtually no time between when the air crosses his vocal cords and the sound hits your ear -- who knows, in those microseconds you might miss the transmission...
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:
This is not true. Sometimes, the video buffering can be a bit delayed, but the audio only is very much on track all the time. So people who are super neurotic about digital lag times can elect to follow audio only. Actually, they should really sit in Rinpoche's lap so there is virtually no time between when the air crosses his vocal cords and the sound hits your ear -- who knows, in those microseconds you might miss the transmission...
Even if you were to sit on his lap there would be a delay. :geek:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Motova wrote:Even if you were to sit on his lap there would be a delay. :geek:
Yes, the well-known "lap lag" phenomenon.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Motova wrote: Even if you were to sit on his lap there would be a delay. :geek:
Ummm.... :thanks: ?
Motova

Post by Motova »

Malcolm wrote:
Motova wrote: Even if you were to sit on his lap there would be a delay. :geek:
Ummm.... :thanks: ?
:sage:
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:Image
The irony of my answer seems to have been lost...
rai

Post by rai »

Hi all, is it some kind of mudra? if yes, which one? thank you!
Attachments
Namkhai Norbu.jpg
Namkhai Norbu.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

:namaste:

Traditionally:

http://www.silkroadcollection.com/buddh ... tions.html

So Vitarka Mudra, with all the qualities as described, is the traditional answer to your question.

Vitarka Mudra:
Intellectual Argument, Debate, Appeasement
The gesture of discussion and debate indicates communication and an explanation of the Dharma. The tips of the thumb and index finger touch, forming a circle. All other fingers are extended upwards. Sometimes the middle finger and thumb touch, which is gesture of great compassion. If the thumb and ring finger touch, they express the mudra of good fortune.

Many historical masters are symbolically represented using this mudra.

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Iconogra ... 8185179719

My 2 cents: - i am not a scholar - just a silly old bozo who knows how to search on the web.

The picture here, is the mudra being given by a Dzogchen Master -so this can not be translated into words - because it is a symbol of Ati guru yoga, which contains all words but is beyond all words - and you can't even say that!

Please to remember you are looking at pixels on a screen, so there is no live transmission involved -

yet the feeling - tone is:

"Not to worry - everything's perfect as it is." :smile:

:namaste:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Newer older thoughts on transmissions, lags and drop outs.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 00#p156097
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

In the Green Tara book, Rinpoche says that one should be able to do the main practice perfectly before working with action mantras. He also particularly mentions that one should visualize the seed syllable and the mantra rotating around it when doing a personal retreat.

How perfect does the visualization need to be? I am struggling even wih latin characters, the colour keeps changing to black for some reason, and while I can attempt visualizing the Tibetan syllable as it appears before me, I find it impossible to visualize reversed, facing outwards from me, as I assume it should be done. There is no way I will be able to visualize the mantra rotating around the seed syllable in Tibetan, even latin would be difficult. Is there anything I can do to help with the visualization, or is it okay to approximate?

Also, after the practice, I feel really peaceful but tired, is that okay or should I be taking it easier?
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Hi everyone, a quick question.

Is it possible to practice the Varjrasattva yab-yum method having just received direct transmission or does one need a specific empowerment or authorization to practice it?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

LolCat wrote:I find it impossible to visualize reversed, facing outwards from me, as I assume it should be done. There is no way I will be able to visualize the mantra rotating around the seed syllable in Tibetan, even latin would be difficult. Is there anything I can do to help with the visualization, or is it okay to approximate?
for help visualizing in reverse just print a mirror image for reference or you could print it on acetate so you can see either side. I am working on a project to produce all the main seed syllables in metal on moon or sun discs so they can be put on one's puja table and turned if needed. I am also trying to work on a way to do that with mantras that will rotate as well. something like that might be helpful for you and many other with practicing visualization

Return to “Dzogchen”