Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Dronma

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by Dronma »

T. Chokyi wrote: Answer from Rinpoche:

4/10/2013 10:19:49 A.M.

Dear T. Chokyi,

You can't the lung from replay.

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.

I deeply thank you, T. Chokyi! :smile:

PEACE, everybody!!! :group:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Jikan wrote:http://www.indiegogo.com/

or indiegogo, which might be more suitable to not-for-profit orgs.
Oh, you're absolutely right. That's the thing. :bow:
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

T. Chokyi wrote:
Answer from Rinpoche:

Dear T. Chokyi,

The principle of receiving transmission works because Master and students are on the same moment on the same state.

Ciao ciao!!! NN.
This means that the webcast transmissions work by the same logic as the old start-the-dvd-at-the-right-moment approach previously used, no?
heart

Post by heart »

Jikan wrote:
T. Chokyi wrote:
Answer from Rinpoche:

Dear T. Chokyi,

Ciao ciao!!! NN.
This means that the webcast transmissions work by the same logic as the old start-the-dvd-at-the-right-moment approach previously used, no?
Yes.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Thats also my understanding.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

In the context of Bob's comments on the expense and hence exclusivity of retreats in the DC as currently organized, I thought this model may be of relevance:
We encourage retreat participants, both long-time members of the community and those who are attending a retreat for the first time, who would like a reduced retreat fee to join VFNM’s Work-Exchange program. Work-exchange is a valuable way to contribute to the overall activity at the Zuni Mountain Stupa and to fulfill many necessary duties throughout the retreat season while also offsetting one’s retreat costs.Members of the VFNM Board of Directors have pledged their commitment to making retreats at Zuni Mountain Stupa affordable for all who wish to participate in this way. While we never turn anyone away who cannot afford the costs associated with the retreats, the work-exchange program allows people to attend while guaranteeing that the crucial aspects of the work needed at the stupa can continue to be shared within the community.

http://www.zunimountainstupa.org/volunt ... -exchange/

I could also describe how work practice is incorporated into all retreats for all participants at Tendai Buddhist Institute ( www.tendai.org ) if anyone thinks this is relevant.
Dan Dorje

Post by Dan Dorje »

Jikan wrote:In the context of Bob's comments on the expense and hence exclusivity of retreats in the DC as currently organized, I thought this model may be of relevance:
We encourage retreat participants, both long-time members of the community and those who are attending a retreat for the first time, who would like a reduced retreat fee to join VFNM’s Work-Exchange program. Work-exchange is a valuable way to contribute to the overall activity at the Zuni Mountain Stupa and to fulfill many necessary duties throughout the retreat season while also offsetting one’s retreat costs.Members of the VFNM Board of Directors have pledged their commitment to making retreats at Zuni Mountain Stupa affordable for all who wish to participate in this way. While we never turn anyone away who cannot afford the costs associated with the retreats, the work-exchange program allows people to attend while guaranteeing that the crucial aspects of the work needed at the stupa can continue to be shared within the community.

http://www.zunimountainstupa.org/volunt ... -exchange/

I could also describe how work practice is incorporated into all retreats for all participants at Tendai Buddhist Institute ( http://www.tendai.org ) if anyone thinks this is relevant.
:good:

This is a very good ideea!

In poor countries (i.e.: Eastern Europe), dharma centers are developed more on voluntary work and less on donations (quite obvious why).
Maybe in Merigar East they will implement such program.

:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

And the long awaited reply from SSI regarding recording teachings:
I'd like to thank you for your question about SSI's about Choegyal Namkhai Norbu webcast's recordings.

Although it is very unlikely to control all recordings and Rinpoche's intellectual creations throughout any legal line
just because of the large number of people and material involved, as SSI we strive to follow Rinpoche's indications
as close as possible.

Therefore, as a thumb of rule, we kindly suggest that:
dealing with an open webcast, a member can record and/or download CHNN's teachings and/or practices only
for personal use (same as attending a live retreat) and no distribute in any way to any body:
2. by the same token, it is not allowed to publish or distribute any CHNN's teachings/practices in any forum, blog,
etc. without an authorization from SSI;
I very appreciate your collaboration and enquiry about this matter and looking forward to help clarify any other future
concern about Rinpoche's indications.

Warm regards,
yuchen namkhai
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

gregkavarnos wrote:And the long awaited reply from SSI regarding recording teachings:
I'd like to thank you for your question about SSI's about Choegyal Namkhai Norbu webcast's recordings.

Although it is very unlikely to control all recordings and Rinpoche's intellectual creations throughout any legal line
just because of the large number of people and material involved, as SSI we strive to follow Rinpoche's indications
as close as possible.

Therefore, as a thumb of rule, we kindly suggest that:
dealing with an open webcast, a member can record and/or download CHNN's teachings and/or practices only
for personal use (same as attending a live retreat) and no distribute in any way to any body:
2. by the same token, it is not allowed to publish or distribute any CHNN's teachings/practices in any forum, blog,
etc. without an authorization from SSI;
I very appreciate your collaboration and enquiry about this matter and looking forward to help clarify any other future
concern about Rinpoche's indications.

Warm regards,
yuchen namkhai
Thank you, Greg!
Everything is clear now. :smile:
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Retreat from Lima, Peru

Teaching from Dra Thalgyur Tantra

April 19th - 21st, 2013
OPEN WEBCAST - TIMEZONE: GMT -5
(Eastern time is one hour ahead of time in Lima Peru)

Friday 19 April: 4:00pm a 6:00pm

Saturday 20 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm

Sunday 21 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

T. Chokyi wrote:Retreat from Lima, Peru

Teaching from Dra Thalgyur Tantra

April 19th - 21st, 2013
OPEN WEBCAST - TIMEZONE: GMT -5
(Eastern time is one hour ahead of time in Lima Peru)

Friday 19 April: 4:00pm a 6:00pm

Saturday 20 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm

Sunday 21 April: 10:00am a 12:00pm
In addition:
Peru Sangha is doing a 20 year celebration right now, 1:30 pm Eastern Time 12:30 pm Peru time
(April 21, 3rd day, at end of the Peru retreat)
http://www.shangshunginstitute.net/webcast
nocompass

Post by nocompass »

Hello.. I hope this is the right place to post this (if it isn't, I'm really sorry)...

I'm a TOTAL newcomer to Dharma practice. I've just read books, and so I have the resultant head full of words and concepts, but no understanding.

I just joined the DC (paid my dues 3 days ago) and I followed the webcast from Peru every day. Truly incredible. When I reflect on it, I cannot believe how something so fortunate as this is even possible... especially for a creature such as myself. :emb:

What I am wondering is.. well, today ChNN gave a lot of lung(?) transmissions (the first time I have heard something like this, mind you), and I just have no idea if I really received them. I feel devotion to Rinpoche and since reading certain of his books recently, something strange did seem to awaken in me for truly the first time in the 5 or 6 years that I have been a very lazy "Dzogchen book-reader". It would be a lot to get into, so I won't, but I feel that I have finally found my Teacher.

But I don't know if I really received the Direct Introduction (I'm guessing I haven't, since people say that "you'll know it when you do"). Just feeling that I've finally found the right teacher has been a VERY strange feeling for me, along with other things that have been happening over the past few days which appear to be related to this, so it's hard to sort it all out.

More to the point of my real question though... I watched and listened attentively to the transmissions at the end-- although I did try to write the name of them down when Rinpoche stated what they were, along with shorthand notes of the explanations he gave for them-- so that WAS a self-imposed distraction, however briefly.

But If, to begin with, I don't know how to remain in "connection" with the guru due to not really knowing what that is supposed to "feel" like... how do I know if I really received the transmissions and am therefore permitted to practice them? I don't want to practice something things that I am not authorized to practice and/or create more obstacles for myself than I already have. I did do the Guru Yoga but since I didn't know ahead of time that the Song of the Vajra would be sung (like I said, I'm a totally clueless beginner in the DC), I kinda flubbed the words until I got the .pdf file of it from the webcast files page. I've never chanted anything before so needless to say, I pretty much screwed up (I think) the Guru Yoga too.

Many thanks to anyone who can help set me straight on these things... regardless of my perpetual confusion, I am overjoyed to have found my Teacher.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

It was a nice retreat.

If you heard all the words uttered during the "lung," then yes, you did get it. It's that simple.

If you participated in the guru yoga with Rinpoche, then you did your best to show up for "direct transmission." Did you get it or not? No one on the interwebz can answer that for you. You can count yourself among those who has received transmission if you are interested in any of the reserved materials at the Shang Shung bookstore.

I wish you all the best in your practice.
nocompass

Post by nocompass »

Thank you for the clarifications, Jikan.

No, I wasn't asking for someone to tell me if I "got it," in terms of whether I finally "saw my own face" so to speak. I know that that is impossible on a web forum.

What I was wondering was whether or not just being present for the teaching and hearing Rinpoche's words in an attentive and committed way, is enough to be able to practice what was given.

You answered my question; thank you for your kindness in responding.

Dronma

Post by Dronma »

nocompass wrote:But I don't know if I really received the Direct Introduction (I'm guessing I haven't, since people say that "you'll know it when you do"). Just feeling that I've finally found the right teacher has been a VERY strange feeling for me, along with other things that have been happening over the past few days which appear to be related to this, so it's hard to sort it all out.

More to the point of my real question though... I watched and listened attentively to the transmissions at the end-- although I did try to write the name of them down when Rinpoche stated what they were, along with shorthand notes of the explanations he gave for them-- so that WAS a self-imposed distraction, however briefly.
Hello, nocompass, and welcome! :smile:
From what I read you did your best, so do not worry so much. As Rinpoche is saying to all of us, relax and at the same time being aware.
Rinpoche did not transmit Direct Introduction during this last retreat from Peru. When he does, you'll surely recognize it - at least, the external procedure.
As for the lungs of the secondary practices he gave today, it is enough to be present and listen to the sound of his voice.
You can also subscribe to Norbunet, the mailing list of DC, so you'll receive all the news in your email: http://groups.google.com/group/norbunet?hl=en.
Moreover, you can listen again to the teachings since you are a paying member. First of all you have to ask for your personal password from your local Gakyil or Gar.
Then you click on the link of the Replay website, which exists in the main webcast page, and you connect with your personal password.
nocompass

Post by nocompass »

Thank you for the warm welcome, Dronma. :smile:

I really did try my best.. I just wasn't sure whether my best was "good enough" in this case, because I was unsure if "something" in addition to hearing Rinpoche's voice and the words of the lung was needed in order to practice the lungs, especially since I had felt that I "screwed up" the Guru Yoga in the beginning. I'm just aware of how important it is to have transmission to practice these, and as a total newcomer to practice in general, I wanted to verify. And I had heard that ChNN usually gives DI at retreats, so I just assumed that he had given it and that it had flown over my head this time around. For some reason I had the thought in my head that one already needed to have had some experience of "recognition" before one could do the lungs. My mind is more than a bit overwrought after way too much study and no real serious practice.. :emb:

I'll definitely subscribe to Norbunet... that sounds very useful indeed.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

nocompass wrote:Thank you for the clarifications, Jikan.

No, I wasn't asking for someone to tell me if I "got it," in terms of whether I finally "saw my own face" so to speak. I know that that is impossible on a web forum.

What I was wondering was whether or not just being present for the teaching and hearing Rinpoche's words in an attentive and committed way, is enough to be able to practice what was given.

You answered my question; thank you for your kindness in responding.

Hi nocompass,

Actually, the idea of saving face hadn't entered my mind. I was responding to this comment of yours with the intention of being helpful to you:
nocompass wrote:t I don't know if I really received the Direct Introduction (I'm guessing I haven't, since people say that "you'll know it when you do").
My apologies for misunderstanding your meaning.

Anyway, yes, you certainly have all you need to practice. Enjoy...
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

nocompass wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome, Dronma. :smile:

I really did try my best.. I just wasn't sure whether my best was "good enough" in this case, because I was unsure if "something" in addition to hearing Rinpoche's voice and the words of the lung was needed in order to practice the lungs, especially since I had felt that I "screwed up" the Guru Yoga in the beginning. I'm just aware of how important it is to have transmission to practice these, and as a total newcomer to practice in general, I wanted to verify. And I had heard that ChNN usually gives DI at retreats, so I just assumed that he had given it and that it had flown over my head this time around. For some reason I had the thought in my head that one already needed to have had some experience of "recognition" before one could do the lungs. My mind is more than a bit overwrought after way too much study and no real serious practice.. :emb:

I'll definitely subscribe to Norbunet... that sounds very useful indeed.

It is true that Rinpoche is giving DI in most retreats, but not always. When he does, then he explains everything in details before the transmission.
So, do not worry, because when it happens, it is impossible to miss it! :smile:
You can find all the material for studying the main and secondary practices in Shang Shung Institute Web Store: http://www.shangshungstore.org/
nocompass

Post by nocompass »

Nooo Jikan! :)

I didn't say "saving face"... I said, "saw my own face", as in, "recognizing my own nature". I've often come across "to see one's own face" used as a euphamism for recognizing one's own nature, and that was my meaning.

Sorry for the misunderstanding there, because your response really was quite helpful. Also, my wording about Direct Introduction was poor.. my meaning there really was unclear. I can see why you read it that way.

Last edited by nocompass on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nocompass

Post by nocompass »

Thanks for that information Dronma. I just have to wait for my membership number to arrive before I can get the texts, though. Hope it doesn't take too long... I Must.. practice patience.. ;)

Return to “Dzogchen”