Did I Receive Transmission?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Did I Receive Transmission?

Post by Grigoris »

Dear Lhug-Pa,

Chill out, you are not going to vajra hell (yet), but if you keep tormenting yourself you may just be capable of reproducing it in your mental continuim during this lifetime.

Be cool. Everyhing is perfect!
:namaste:
PS Where did you get that excellent icon for your avatar? Care to link to it? :twothumbsup:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

gregkavarnos wrote:but if you keep tormenting yourself you may just be capable of reproducing it in your mental continuim during this lifetime.
... and project it to the next one if you still doing so at the end of this one. Then it will become vajra hell!

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

True indeed.

Thanks Gregkavarnos and Sönam

The Gnostic Egyptian Tarot (and a more updated version than as seen in my Sig) is found here:

Gnostic Egyptian Tarot

Gnostic Egyptian Tarot (Pics)

Edit:

Oh wait, you said my Avatar, not my signature.

Can't find the web-source at the moment, although here's a similar picture (right-click to see its web-source):

Notice how the Tibetan-Letters are assigned to different Elements in the two pictures.
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Dechen Norbu wrote:Lhug-pa,

Probably that friend of yours is a bit :crazy:
Just forget the whole thing. He was playing the master and your were gullible enough to fall for it.
Well, it's not that I fell for anything so much; but that I didn't even have a good idea of what Transmission really is back then. I think that I'd thought that this friend was simply attempting to provide a form of help that doesn't include any type of specific commitment. Meaning that I wasn't like: "Yes great "Lama __________", please give me the Transmission so that I can devote myself to Guru Yoga and continue to rest in the Natural State, and perform Ganapuja regularly to restore Samaya if I break it." or something like that.

And like I'd said, I don't even remember how it really went down that day. Now that I think about it more, I might have even refused to take part in what he (might have) offered that day; because I specifically remember not even really trusting the guy a whole lot.

Needless to say, mystery solved lol. There was obviously no Samaya, as you guys have been saying. :consoling:

Best Regards
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Another very important question:

What if someone were to make a promise to the Adi-Buddha alone at home by themselves, and was not able to keep their promise? :crying:

This obviously would not be good karma for the mental continuum. :oops:

But would it have the same ramifications as breaking Samaya (for example: the whole having only three-years to purify it rule) ?

:?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Lhug-Pa wrote:What if someone were to make a promise to the Adi-Buddha alone at home by themselves, and was not able to keep their promise?
The Adi-Buddha is your mind, the promise is made only to yourself. You wanna stop the self flaggelation at some point in time and get on with practicing?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

You're right. Great idea. :idea:

Might as well do what is possible to purify it; because if I do, then there's at least a chance of purifying it. :heart:

But if I don't, then there is no chance of purifying it. :toilet:

Best to go with the former, obviously. :bow:

Thanks Gregkavarnos. :namaste:
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

your natural state is the only samaya, you cannot lose it, enter it or leave it... it is always with you from the day of birth to the day of death... just this normal natural state. no fireworks.

you have always had sponteneously complete transmission by virtue of always being in this natural state of just living. just living is the natural state.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Pero

Post by Pero »

White Lotus wrote:your natural state is the only samaya, you cannot lose it, enter it or leave it... it is always with you from the day of birth to the day of death... just this normal natural state. no fireworks.

you have always had sponteneously complete transmission by virtue of always being in this natural state of just living. just living is the natural state.

best wishes, Tom.
:zzz:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

White Lotus wrote:your natural state is the only samaya, you cannot lose it, enter it or leave it... it is always with you from the day of birth to the day of death... just this normal natural state. no fireworks. you have always had sponteneously complete transmission by virtue of always being in this natural state of just living. just living is the natural state.
Yeah right. No suffering, no cause, no cessation, no path, no guru, no practice. Just relax and do nothing you're already enlightened. Or something like that. :zzz:
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

your basic nature is enlightenment, it always has been. of course the ego hates this and it always wants 'something' to abide/rest in, to hang onto.

there is no enlightenment, nothing at all to worry about... and this paradoxically when known is enlightenment.

your natural state is enlightenment, just as it is. can you let go of your ambitions, and just accept this normal old life. its like a glass of water... tasteless.

not a thing to worry about, just relax.

best wishes, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Paul

Post by Paul »

White Lotus wrote:your basic nature is enlightenment, it always has been. of course the ego hates this and it always wants 'something' to abide/rest in, to hang onto.

there is no enlightenment, nothing at all to worry about... and this paradoxically when known is enlightenment.

your natural state is enlightenment, just as it is. can you let go of your ambitions, and just accept this normal old life. its like a glass of water... tasteless.

best wishes, Tom.
You keep going on about this. This is only the dzogchen method of shamatha. It is absolutely not the method of dzogchen vipashyana. You're just stuck in the alaya, an entirely samsaric state - it isn't the nature of mind at all.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
mint

Post by mint »

Paul wrote:
White Lotus wrote:your basic nature is enlightenment, it always has been. of course the ego hates this and it always wants 'something' to abide/rest in, to hang onto.

best wishes, Tom.
You keep going on about this. This is only the dzogchen method of shamatha. It is absolutely not the method of dzogchen vipashyana. You're just stuck in the alaya, an entirely samsaric state - it isn't the nature of mind at all.
How did you infer that he was tlaking about the Dzogchen method of Shamatha based on what he said?? I don't even know what that is...but still, I thought he was confusing Dzogchen with Dogen.
Paul

Post by Paul »

mint wrote:
Paul wrote:

best wishes, Tom.
How did you infer that he was tlaking about the Dzogchen method of Shamatha based on what he said?? I don't even know what that is...but still, I thought he was confusing Dzogchen with Dogen.
Because he's talking about one of the preliminaries to dzogchen which can be used to jump to the recognition of rigpa.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Paul wrote:
mint wrote: How did you infer that he was tlaking about the Dzogchen method of Shamatha based on what he said?? I don't even know what that is...but still, I thought he was confusing Dzogchen with Dogen.
Because he's talking about one of the preliminaries to dzogchen which can be used to jump to the recognition of rigpa.
So... what is dzogchen vipashyana? I found this, but it says nothing:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Vipashyana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

the one who speaks of dzogchen vipassana and shamatha does not realize that these are only expedients to occupy the distracted mind of the student and are in fact nothing to do with dzogpa chenpo which has no path and no method whatsoever. read the kunjied gyalpo (i reccomend professor neumayer's translation).

this 'i am', just as it is will always be and always has been, regardless of whether an ego i is perceived or not, regardless of whether subjective buddha nature has ceased or not. i am... emptiness. there is no i to be an am, nor am to be an i, and yet conventionally the i am is experienced. it is our natural state... empty.

spontaneously complete... i am.

best wishes, Tom.
Paul

Post by Paul »

padma norbu wrote:
Paul wrote:
mint wrote: How did you infer that he was tlaking about the Dzogchen method of Shamatha based on what he said?? I don't even know what that is...but still, I thought he was confusing Dzogchen with Dogen.
So... what is dzogchen vipashyana? I found this, but it says nothing:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Vipashyana" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Methods for recognising rigpa. There are many different ones.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

White Lotus

Maybe that works for you, and I hope that it does; however most of us do need accumulation of Merit & Wisdom and various Skillful Means (but from the Dzogchen View), such as say Direct Introduction to the Natural State (by a qualified Lama), Guru Yoga, Mantra, Ganapuja, Sexual-Transmutation/Integration of physical movement (Yantra Yoga, Tsa-Lung, Pranayama, Karmamudra, etc.), Rushen, Semdzin, and sitting Meditation to develop Shamatha and Vipassana, etc.

Speaking of which, Padma Norbu, in Appendix One of The Crystal, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche wrote that in Dzogchen:

Shamatha/Shiné/Zhiné is referred to as: NEPA

Vipassana/Lhagthong is referred to as: MIGYURWA

Best Regards
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Paul wrote:Methods for recognising rigpa. There are many different ones.
Ah, thanks. I didn't realize these fell under 'vipashyana.'
Lhug-Pa wrote: Speaking of which, Padma Norbu, in Appendix One of The Crystal, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche wrote that in Dzogchen:

Shamatha/Shiné/Zhiné is referred to as: NEPA

Vipassana/Lhagthong is referred to as: MIGYURWA

Best Regards
Thanks, but these terms don't mean anything to me. I know very little Tibetan. :smile:
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Pero

Post by Pero »

White Lotus wrote:the one who speaks of dzogchen vipassana and shamatha does not realize that these are only expedients to occupy the distracted mind of the student and are in fact nothing to do with dzogpa chenpo which has no path and no method whatsoever. read the kunjied gyalpo (i reccomend professor neumayer's translation).

this 'i am', just as it is will always be and always has been, regardless of whether an ego i is perceived or not, regardless of whether subjective buddha nature has ceased or not. i am... emptiness. there is no i to be an am, nor am to be an i, and yet conventionally the i am is experienced. it is our natural state... empty.

spontaneously complete... i am.

best wishes, Tom.
Perhaps you should act on those best wishes and stop posting things that have nothing to do with Dzogchen as Dzogchen, or someday someone will read this and become confused.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Dzogchen”