Dzogchenpa by Accident?

dakini_boi

Re: Dzogchenpa by Accident?

Post by dakini_boi »

Namdrol wrote:
The nature of appearances is empty, that is correct. But then you have to ask the question: do appearances arise? They seem to , but do they? Do appearances remain, they seem to, but do they? Appearances seem to vanish. They seem to, but do they? When you understand that appearances do not arise, remain, or vanish, then you understand the emptiness of appearances. If appearances do not in reality arise, remain or vanish, how could their emptiness arise, remain or vanish?

N
Namdrol,

How is this view different from nihilism?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
The nature of appearances is empty, that is correct. But then you have to ask the question: do appearances arise? They seem to , but do they? Do appearances remain, they seem to, but do they? Appearances seem to vanish. They seem to, but do they? When you understand that appearances do not arise, remain, or vanish, then you understand the emptiness of appearances. If appearances do not in reality arise, remain or vanish, how could their emptiness arise, remain or vanish?

N
Namdrol,

How is this view different from nihilism?
Annihilationism is the assertion that something existent becomes non-existent.

To discover whether the view above is annihilationism, we have examine how appearances arise. First, if an appearance is an existent, can it arise from another existent? Or does it arise from a non-existent? As for the first, an existent does not arise from another existent because the arising of something existent is a contradiction in terms; and the arising of an existent from a non-existent is impossible. To address this, Nāḡrjuna writes:

An existent does not arise from an existent;
an existent does not arise from a non-existent;
a non-existent does arise from an existent;
a non-existent does not arise from a non-existent —
where then can there be an instance of arising?

If the arising of existents is not established, the arising of appearances is not established. If arising is not established, remaining is not established, and likewise, perishing is not established. If the three, arising, remaining and perishing, are not established, then there is no reason to accept the charge of annihilationism since I never suggested that there was an existent entity that could perish.

All we are left with is empty appearances: they are not real because no existence, etc., can be ascertained regarding them; they are not unreal since they appear. All we can say about them is that they arise in dependence.

N
N
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ya, Baby!

Sorry, just feeling a bit silly today. But that was a great post. :smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Namdrol wrote:
Thank you, Namdrol. I'm still a bit confused - I thought nihilism was defined as the view that nothing exists. (which ignores the fact that things do appear) But I gather from your posting, this is an imprecise definition?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Thank you, Namdrol. I'm still a bit confused - I thought nihilism was defined as the view that nothing exists. (which ignores the fact that things do appear) But I gather from your posting, this is an imprecise definition?

Ucchedavada (literally "advocating cutting off") is the view that an entity which exists (such as a self) becomes non-existent (thus negating rebirth, karma and so on).

If you cannot find any existent there is no reason to propose non-existence.

N
Rinchen Dorje

Post by Rinchen Dorje »

Namdrol...love it!!..mind blowing stuff...if I was younger I would probably roll up a fatty and contemplate that for 6 hours or so and completely blow my mind.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Return to “Dzogchen”