May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
narraboth

Re: Can nyingmapa be monk?

Post by narraboth »

of course. why?
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I was just talking with a Nyingmapa monk the other day about this....he said, that they try to follow and pracite as best as they can. But it's not reLly being a monk
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Of course you can be a Nyingmapa monk. If not, then there are a lot of guys at Namdroling who are sorely mistaken. (Not!)
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
philji

Post by philji »

Perhaps the original enquirer is unsure as to the vows that Nyingmapa Sangha observe????
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

Rroman wrote:I was just talking with a Nyingmapa monk the other day about this....he said, that they try to follow and pracite as best as they can. But it's not reLly being a monk
I think he was just being humble, saying that it's hard nowadays to fulfil the high standard for Bhikku. Nothing to do with Nyingmapa or not.
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I don't think iit is really about being. Nyingmapa and a monk. Just a Tibetan monk in general.
Of course he was being humble, but he was also being honest. I truly don't know the vinaya...but I don't think having a apple 6, owning a motorbike, or other things, eating at expensive restuarnts for dinner is truly being a renunciate. Of course, we are talking vajrayana monks. Hence, why they can't truly be monks. They can hold some of the vinaya, sure.
I have been living here in Nepal and India for almost three years now. I have a lot of friends that are monks And respect them.
It is just my option, which is worthless. And your right, I don't truly know where the mind of the khenpo that I was talking with, in a casual conversation, was truly talking about. Forgive me if I said something that I have offended you, or anyone.
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

Yes, all the Tibetan Buddhist schools have monks/monasteries. He was either making a joke/being humble in a way that didn't quite translate, or he meant that when comparing the various schools, Nyingma is overall less "monastic" than some others, Gelug for example.
edit: But they follow the same basic monastic vows, just to be clear.
pael

Post by pael »

I have red Vajrayāna is a path of non-renunciation.
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

pael wrote:I have red Vajrayāna is a path of non-renunciation.
Well... yes and no. Here's a thread about this specifically: http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=19222

Return to “Nyingma”