Some of the most common Nyingma opening prayers

Pema Rigdzin

Some of the most common Nyingma opening prayers

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Hey folks. If there's anyone out there drawn to Nyingma and looking to connect with a lama but haven't been able to yet, I thought it might be beneficial to post some of the very common prayers many Nyingmapas recite to open their practice sessions so you'd at least have a little structure in the meantime. I included a rough resemblance to the pronounced Tibetan, with English below each line. May it be of benefit:

1st - Mipham Rinpoche's Verses to the 8 Noble, Auspicious Ones (Generally recited 1x at open of session):
http://www.lotsawahouse.org/8_auspicious_ones.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2cd - Vajra 7 Line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava (Recite 3x, visualizing Guru Rinpoche and all the enlightened ones and their retinues in the space in front; if visualization is difficult, then confidently feel their presence in the space in front):

HUNG

OR GYEN YUL GYI NUB JANG TSAM

In the north-west of the land of Orgyen,

PE MA GE SAR DONG PO LA

In the heart of a lotus flower,

YA MTSEN CHOG GI NGÖ DRUP NYÉ

Endowed with the most marvelous attainments,

PE MA JUNG NÉ ZHÉ SU DRAG

You are renowned as the Lotus-born,

KHOR DU KHAN DRO MANG PÖ KOR

Surrounded by many hosts of dakinis.

KHYÉ KYI JÉ SU DAG DRUB KYI

Following in your footsteps I practice.

CHIN GYI LAB CHIR SHEG SU SOL

I pray to you: come to this place and bestow blessings.

GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG

(optional: follow the above prayer with a mala of the Vajra Guru mantra, then proceed)

3rd - General short lineage prayers and prayers to root guru (you can just think of Guru Rinpoche until you have a root guru) (Recite 1x each, continuing to visualize/feel the refuge field in the space in front):

KÜN ZANG DOR SEM GA RAB SHI RI SINGH

Samantabhadra, Vajrasattva, Garab Dorje, Shri Singha,

PE MA KA RA JE BANG NYI SHU NGA

Pemakara, the 25, king and subjects,

SO ZUR NUB NYAG TER TON JA TSA SOG

So, Zur, Nub, Nyag, and the 100 tertons and others,

KA TER LA MA NAM LA SOL WA DEB

The lamas of kama and terma lineages, to you I pray!

OG MIN CHÖ KYI YING KYI PO DRANG NA

In the palace of the Ogmin Dharmadhatu,

DÜ SUM SANG GYE KUN GYI NGO WO NYID

The essence of all the buddhas of the three times,

RANG SEM CHÖ KU NGON SUM TON DZE PA

The one who shows clearly the dharmakaya of my own mind,

TSA WE LA ME ZHAB LA SOL WA DEB

We pray at the feet of the root guru.

PAL DEN TSA WE LA MA RIN PO CHE

Glorious root lama, precious one,

DA GI CHI WOR PE ME DEN ZHUG LA

Dwelling on the lotus seat on the crown of my head,

KA DRIN CHEN PÖ GON NE JE ZUNG TE

Hold me with your great kindness.

KU SUNG TUG KYI NGÖ DRUP TSAL DU SOL

Bestow the accomplishments of body, speech, and mind.

*One might then follow with some version of the Calling the Lama from Afar, then some version of the 4 thoughts that turn the mind to Dharma, then some liturgy for refuge and bodhicitta, then whatever meditation practice one regularly does... I'll follow up later with some short closing prayers. May this be of benefit!

- Brian
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Ogyen

Re: Some of the most common Nyingma opening prayers

Post by Ogyen »

That's awesome, I've been wondering where I could find some of the Chenrezig practices they do at my sangha. Do you know which one I'm talking about?
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

OgyenChodzom wrote:That's awesome, I've been wondering where I could find some of the Chenrezig practices they do at my sangha. Do you know which one I'm talking about?
Hmmm.. I imagine it's probably one revealed by Terton Dorje Dechen Lingpa, maybe called "Accomplishing the Purpose of Beings Throughout Space"? If you can find out for sure the name of the sadhana and its author, I can see if they have it at Tashi Choling's bookstore. You can take a look at their web store, Vimalatreasures.org, although I know they only have the extensive practice, which is like for retreats and very complicated. There are other places to look too, but TC's book store is one of the best-stocked one can find for Nyingma practices.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
muni

Post by muni »

OgyenChodzom wrote:That's awesome, I've been wondering where I could find some of the Chenrezig practices they do at my sangha. Do you know which one I'm talking about?
Many oral teachings are available on CD as well these days. But the quality is not the same of course.

Ah yes. http://vimalatreasures.org/accomplishin ... ntary.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.chiso.citymax.com/dharma_samudra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then this short one: http://www.palyulproductions.org/html/note_cards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Nyingma”