Thrinley Nyingpo Practice from Chokling tersar

Kunzang8

Thrinley Nyingpo Practice from Chokling tersar

Post by Kunzang8 »

Hi

Is anyone here familiar with the practice of Thrinley Nyingpo or done the Sadhana Ritual Course in Boudha before ? Thanks.
heart

Re: Thrinley Nyingpo Practice from Chokling tersar

Post by heart »

Kunzang8 wrote:Hi

Is anyone here familiar with the practice of Thrinley Nyingpo or done the Sadhana Ritual Course in Boudha before ? Thanks.
Yes, I am familiar with the Trinley Nyingpo, what do you want to know? Haven't done the Sadhana Ritual Course but I am sure it is excellent.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Kunzang8

Post by Kunzang8 »

heart wrote:

Yes, I am familiar with the Trinley Nyingpo, what do you want to know? Haven't done the Sadhana Ritual Course but I am sure it is excellent.

/magnus

Thanks for the reply. What are the benefits and aim of the practice? How long is the practice?
MaitriYNOD

Post by MaitriYNOD »

The Trinley Nyingpo is part of the Tukdrub Barchey Kunsel cycle from the termas of Chokgyur Lingpa. That cycle is particular powerful for dispelling obstacles to awakening, and I would recommend anyone connect in some way to the blessings of the Chokling tradition. The length of the sadhana depends on how long you want to recite mantras. What is your prior practice experience? I wouldn't necessarily recommend any development stage practice to a beginner. As always, it's best to ask your guru. If the ritual course is at Ka Nying Shedrub Ling, that is the main center for the Chokling Tersar in the world and you can rest assured the course will be excellent.
I am a lustful, angry dullard with no power of realization. Do not put anything I say into practice without first confirming it with a qualified teacher.
heart

Post by heart »

Kunzang8 wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus

Thanks for the reply. What are the benefits and aim of the practice? How long is the practice?
The benefits are enlightenment or as the Tukdrup Barche Kunsel put it "the dispeller of all obstacles". The sadhana is short and you recite the mantras of Amitayus, Chenresig but mainly focus on Guru Rinpoche.Take maybe 15-20 minutes to do if you want to make it short but there is also a "condensed daily practice" that you could do even faster. But normally people do Trinley Nyingpo practice after Ngöndro as a main practice. The whole cycle of Tukdrup Barche Kunsel, which is the biggest cycle in the Chokling Tersar, contain really many different teachings like Dzogchen, tsa-lung, protectors, Chö and so on. So you could say Trinley Nyingpo, which is like the central sadhana in this cycle, is a key practice in the Chokling Tersar.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
peterolin

Post by peterolin »

I am somewhat familiar with the practice.

I was staying at Nagi Gompa last year while the ritual course was in progress. I didn't really participate except for a couple of days for the tsog at the very end of it. I believe the participants first had 2 weeks of theory down in Boudhanath, and then 2 weeks up at Nagi where they were instructed in playing the instruments for group and individual practice ("bell puja" and "drum puja"), leading the chants, being chöpön as well as using bell, dorje, damaru etc. They also learned how to make the tormas.

As Magnus says, the root text can perhaps be speeded through in 15 minutes - but that is not how it is taught at the ritual course. There you learn how to do all the lineage chants, extra prayers etc according to the tradition with melodies and all. I rarely speed through that in less than an hour. So the length can be adjusted according to how much time you have.

The teacher was Phakchok Rinpoche's attendant, and British Ani Laura translated. The both did a great job, and the course is very thorough. Unless you have some familiarity with the practice, or sadhana practice in general, it's tough going and a lot to digest - both in terms of theory, but also learning to use the instruments, mudras, tormas, chöpön work etc. Whether you like that or not is an individual matter. I love it! And I love the practice.

/Peter
/Peter
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

I just finished doing the course this year. For me, it was a very informative and blessing to be able to learn this practice as complete as I did. It was more then just learning the practice. Being able to spend a month in nagi gompa and being able to practice with the nuns there was an amazing experience. I would highly recommend doing this course or any other courses that Phatchok Rinpoche offers.
philji

Post by philji »

Going slightly off subject but since the Chokling Tersar is being discussed, I will be in KTM in. March when the Tsekar Drubchen is taking place at Ka Nying Gompa.... Does anyone know where to get a text for this? If not maybe I can ask Ani Laura....also I and my wife would like to spend a couple of days at Nagi Gompa...would this be possible, does anyone know if this would be possible and how to arrange?
heart

Post by heart »

philji wrote:Going slightly off subject but since the Chokling Tersar is being discussed, I will be in KTM in. March when the Tsekar Drubchen is taking place at Ka Nying Gompa.... Does anyone know where to get a text for this? If not maybe I can ask Ani Laura....also I and my wife would like to spend a couple of days at Nagi Gompa...would this be possible, does anyone know if this would be possible and how to arrange?
Been a very long time since I been to KTM but it used to be possible to buy texts in the Ka-Nying Library. Not sure about Nagi, but you can just go up and ask I guess.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

yegyal

Post by yegyal »

You can get the texts in the library, but you'll need to order them in advance of the drupchen. They have a transliterated version prepared, if you can't read Tibetan, but the librarian, Kathy, will need time to make a photo copy for you, because she usually attends the drupchen, which means she won't have time to do it once it begins. So if you're not arriving early enough to ask her in person, contact the office via email and they should be able to put you in touch with her. Or just ask Ani Laura for her email address.
Rroman

Post by Rroman »

You can just go up to nagi when you want to stay. They should have room.
philji

Post by philji »

yegyal wrote:You can get the texts in the library, but you'll need to order them in advance of the drupchen. They have a transliterated version prepared, if you can't read Tibetan, but the librarian, Kathy, will need time to make a photo copy for you, because she usually attends the drupchen, which means she won't have time to do it once it begins. So if you're not arriving early enough to ask her in person, contact the office via email and they should be able to put you in touch with her. Or just ask Ani Laura for her email address.
Thanks for this. Will do.
philji

Post by philji »

Rroman wrote:You can just go up to nagi when you want to stay. They should have room.
Cheers.
PadmeSamadhi

Post by PadmeSamadhi »

Hi, once I went to a certain retreat with Neten Chokling Rinpoche and as a surprise we received a bonus empowerment!
It was the empowerment for Thrinley Nyingpo, I guess Rinpoche thought it would be auspicious.

Well, so me and others didn't took the full course, we got the empowerment and the sadhana.
I don't know about the ritual itself, with tormas and all, but I would like to ask here:

Is there a way I can practice this sadhana at home? Maybe in a concise way, since I didn't took the full course yet.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There's a very concise daily practice which I think is suitable for you. https://lhaseylotsawa.org/texts/the-con ... y-practice
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

PadmeSamadhi wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm Hi, once I went to a certain retreat with Neten Chokling Rinpoche and as a surprise we received a bonus empowerment!
It was the empowerment for Thrinley Nyingpo, I guess Rinpoche thought it would be auspicious.

Well, so me and others didn't took the full course, we got the empowerment and the sadhana.
I don't know about the ritual itself, with tormas and all, but I would like to ask here:

Is there a way I can practice this sadhana at home? Maybe in a concise way, since I didn't took the full course yet.
Like Cone said, do the short daily sadhana.
There is a good book on this practice: https://www.amazon.com/Dispeller-Obstac ... 9627341959
You should know that there is a way (you change a few words) to do the trinley nyingpo sadhana without the gektor (torma offering to the disturbing spirits) which is the the way you do when you do it as a daily practice. You do gektor when you make tsog normally.
There are short retreats arranged on this practice on the Rangjung Yeshe centers worldwide and that is a fantastic possibility to learn how to do the practice properly.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Nyingma”