Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Garchen giving Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya

Post by Grigoris »

lelopa wrote:What is the name of the lama who gave the lung at the beginning today?!?
It seems that he gave two seperate lungs. Is that the case or am I mistaken? I missed the intro and tuned in just as he was about to start the lung. How's that for karma? :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

the first lung seemed the lineage-prayer or an intro or something similar
the 2nd was the practice-text - afaik
Lost In Transmission
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yesterday Garchen Rinpoche said that he added the white torma offering to the practice too. I wonder if they gave the lung for that too?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Pero

Post by Pero »

Could someone send me the sadhana from Scribd please?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Here's the link to the text Pero:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/149130531/Puj ... tna-Lingpa

Scribd takes a bit of registering and mucking around
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Sherab Dorje wrote:
bryandavis wrote:If you have the sadhana that they are using in the drupchen i.e. the Ratna Lingpa Sadhana, you dont need an additional lung for it. If you received the empowerment you may practice with the text that they are using, period.
Sez who?
You may practice it daily as well. You received the empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche, his blessing is inconceivable, he is giving all of us permission to practice in the drubchen, as long as you receive the empowerment. Actually if you were in arizona and came late and missed the empowerment you could still practice in the drupchen.
Group practice (at drubchen or practice at a "temple") does not require a lung, but individual practice (or, basically, possession and use of the text) normally requires lung.
Individual practice normally requires lung, this is true and apparently they gave lung for this it seems. On the flip side this is an unrestricted text on the website. I was responding with the assumption that Rinpoche himself did not give the lung due to his heath. I have been to a Drupchen where there was no indication of the lung being given, i.e. no other lama stepping in and giving the lung after the empowerment or before the start of the practice. Everyone had the practice text, we were given instructions on how to practice using the text as a daily practice etc. at the end of the drubchen. So although there might have been a "lung" in the empowerment period, it did not seem like it. Actually this happend twice in my experience. Once at an empowerment and not a drupchen, where the sadhana was available for those who just received the empowerment. There was no lung at that time as well. Cant speak for other Groups, Lamas, etc.

Also, not saying there was no lung in the empowerment. Was only saying, if you received this paticular empowerment, and there was not a lung up to the start of the durpchen or it was unclear there was,and if they started practicing already, and nothing else was missed, then its fine for you to participate as im sure they would not allow the stream, the ordeing of the sadhana etc... and allow it to be an open webcast.

bryan
coolbreeze

Post by coolbreeze »

Just received an email from the Garchen Institute:

"In response to your requests, we will stream the afternoon session of the Vajrakilaya Drubchen, which will be in English, if our signal holds. We experienced signal issues this morning and are uncertain what the conditions will be this afternoon.

The session will run from 2-5 Mountain Standard Time, and the link for the streaming is:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vajrakila ... hings-2013

Thank you for all the beautiful messages you have been sending. We rejoice that so many of you can join in from afar!"

Happy Monday... :twothumbsup:
Pero

Post by Pero »

Shemmy wrote:Here's the link to the text Pero:

I'm not a subscriber now so I'd first have to pay. I don't really want to do that if I'm going to get practice text in paper later.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Pero wrote:

I'm not a subscriber now so I'd first have to pay. I don't really want to do that if I'm going to get practice text in paper later.

you do not have to pay - you just have to upload a text.
i do this if i need a particular text from there
Lost In Transmission
Pero

Post by Pero »

lelopa wrote:
Pero wrote:

you do not have to pay - you just have to upload a text.
i do this if i need a particular text from there
Ah, thank you.
- Shabkar
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

lelopa wrote:the first lung seemed the lineage-prayer or an intro or something similar
the 2nd was the practice-text - afaik
after listening to the replay i must say it was NOT the kilaya-lineage prayer :emb:
i don't know what it was...
Lost In Transmission
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Pero wrote:

I've never paid them anything. If you upload texts they will give you free downloads. Doesn't matter what you upload, you could write a couple of .txt homages to all your friends at Dharma Wheel: "The day we all got a Vajrakilaya empowerment/the moon hummed like a blue hum/Shemmy sent me a copy of Ratna Lingpa's Vajrakilaya/the fruit bats chuckled, the frogs lost their indigestion the sky suddenly cleared and.…" You have my permission to upload that.

Otherwise, if you pm me your email I'll send you a copy, no problemo. It's 1.6 megabytes, so your account needs to be able to accept files larger than that.

Cheers Cheery Cheerio.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I just want to say that the translation that is up on Scribd is the work of Sangye Khandro and Lama Chonam, I believe, and it sure would be nice if the translators got some financial remuneration--instead of Scribd--for their work. I've uploaded a few things there, for free distribution, but I have a day job and my translations are worthless anyway...whereas these folks who live the Dharma full time sure could use Dana.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Shemmy

Post by Shemmy »

Agreed, the best thing is to pay for the texts…in my own situation…in Thailand, they will not avail me, being a foreigner, nor my wife because she isn't gainfully employed of a credit card nor will my bank allow me to transfer funds to an alternative such as paypal. It is 60 dollars to do one wire transfer. I sincerely regret not paying for a text, but I also don't think the banks here should be paid for not allowing us to spend money outside the country so as to help them prop up the currency, or whatever the reason. We have no libraries here either, so I cannot, say for example, borrow a book, something we all do back home which also does not put money in penniless translators' pockets. I realize I am making excuses and I hope I will be in a position to pay those who should be paid in the near future.

That said, I wonder if the supplemental texts were available even at cost. And also I am not sure simply making the text unavailable on the Drikung-Kagyu site solves the problem of people making free copies available on Scribd. The texts not being available made participating from the streamcast a bit of a rough ride, or more than it should be, I'd rather be directing my energies to appreciating the wonderful opportunity we were given and the whole atmosphere than be worrying about trying work out whether what was being done was in the supplements or the main text. I had no idea what we were doing for most of the sadhana during the Tibetan reading, tho perhaps I get what I pay for, maybe even more than what I pay for actually.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

anybody here who can tell me the name of the lama/monk who gave the lung?
Lost In Transmission
heart

Post by heart »

lelopa wrote:anybody here who can tell me the name of the lama/monk who gave the lung?
From an other forum not far away, his name is Khenpo Samdup.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

heart wrote:
lelopa wrote:anybody here who can tell me the name of the lama/monk who gave the lung?
From an other forum not far away, his name is Khenpo Samdup.

/magnus
:bow: :applause:
Lost In Transmission
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I have sent an email off to garchen.net asking which lung were given yesterday. Once I get the reply I will post it here for everybody.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Sherab Dorje wrote:I have sent an email off to garchen.net asking which lung were given yesterday. Once I get the reply I will post it here for everybody.
:thanks:

the 2nd lung was word by word the same as the VK-Puja they use in the Drikung-centers here in europe...
Lost In Transmission
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

bryandavis wrote:
Sherab Dorje wrote:
bryandavis wrote:If you have the sadhana that they are using in the drupchen i.e. the Ratna Lingpa Sadhana, you dont need an additional lung for it. If you received the empowerment you may practice with the text that they are using, period.
Sez who?
You may practice it daily as well. You received the empowerment from Garchen Rinpoche, his blessing is inconceivable, he is giving all of us permission to practice in the drubchen, as long as you receive the empowerment. Actually if you were in arizona and came late and missed the empowerment you could still practice in the drupchen.
Group practice (at drubchen or practice at a "temple") does not require a lung, but individual practice (or, basically, possession and use of the text) normally requires lung.
Individual practice normally requires lung, this is true and apparently they gave lung for this it seems. On the flip side this is an unrestricted text on the website. I was responding with the assumption that Rinpoche himself did not give the lung due to his heath. I have been to a Drupchen where there was no indication of the lung being given, i.e. no other lama stepping in and giving the lung after the empowerment or before the start of the practice. Everyone had the practice text, we were given instructions on how to practice using the text as a daily practice etc. at the end of the drubchen. So although there might have been a "lung" in the empowerment period, it did not seem like it. Actually this happend twice in my experience. Once at an empowerment and not a drupchen, where the sadhana was available for those who just received the empowerment. There was no lung at that time as well. Cant speak for other Groups, Lamas, etc.

Also, not saying there was no lung in the empowerment. Was only saying, if you received this paticular empowerment, and there was not a lung up to the start of the durpchen or it was unclear there was,and if they started practicing already, and nothing else was missed, then its fine for you to participate as im sure they would not allow the stream, the ordeing of the sadhana etc... and allow it to be an open webcast.

bryan
I am not sure I correctly follow the discussion, but as far as I know, if you have received the empowerment (for that lineage), rlung is good to have but not necessary for doing practice. If you have received other lineage empowerment, or even other diety empowerment, you will need a rlung so that you can practice certain mantra and visualisation. If the person haven't received any vajrayana empowerment, I am not even sure it's good idea to give him/her rlung of anuttarayoga text. Theoritically, only people who have received vajrayana empowerment and keep pure samaya can enter drubchen mandala.

I think in this case, it might be easier for Rinpoche to give Sangthig Purba torma empowerment for some reason, and this should be enough for people who want to join the drubchen. However, since it is a Chokling Purba empowerment, it will allow people to 'participate' a drubchen using Ratnalingpa text (as most of monks have the ratnalingpa purba lineage anyway) but not to let them do the same text at home..... Theoritically people can do Chokling Purba at home without extra rlung though.

Return to “Nyingma”