Question About Nyingma Lamas

lorem

Question About Nyingma Lamas

Post by lorem »

Hi All,

Two questions. Does anyone know anything about Dzatrul Rinpoche? I can ask my lama so know big deal but I can find almost nothing on the web about him. Like what monastery and things like that. Any interesting stories, etc.?

The other is how did the release of Chhimed Rigdzin Rinpoche singing happen to be with the help of Current 93 on the Maldoror label? I can try to email James Low about this if no one knows.

Just rather interesting.
I should be meditating.
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Question About Nyingma Lamas

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

http://www.discogs.com/Venerable-ChiMed ... ter/256597" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yup, David Tibet was at the time a student of CR Lama (before he ditched Dzogchen/Vajrayana for esoteric Christianity). Also, James Low's 'Simply Being' was initially sold together with C93's Fire of the Mind CDEP:

http://www.discogs.com/Current-93-The-F ... se/1233620" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Released 1994 (around the time of Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre, a cracking LP, if you ask me), so back then Tibet still must have felt close to Buddhism. He is listed in the credits as 'Chi Med Sangs Rgyas...
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
lorem

Post by lorem »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre, a cracking LP, if you ask me), so back then Tibet still must have felt close to Buddhism. He is listed in the credits as 'Chi Med Sangs Rgyas...
HAH!!! One of my all time favorite albums. Also Island then Thunder Perfect Mind.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, did not know the connection. I saw his Wikipedia page got updated with a mention of Padmasambhawa some time back.

Need to check out Simply Being also. Thanks!
I should be meditating.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

lorem wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:Of Ruine Or Some Blazing Starre, a cracking LP, if you ask me), so back then Tibet still must have felt close to Buddhism. He is listed in the credits as 'Chi Med Sangs Rgyas...
HAH!!! One of my all time favorite albums. Also Island then Thunder Perfect Mind.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, did not know the connection. I saw his Wikipedia page got updated with a mention of Padmasambhawa some time back.

Need to check out Simply Being also. Thanks!
Thunder Perfect Mind and Tam Lyn are among my favorite albums. Maybe we should form a small neofolk sangha/singing choir!

:smile:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Nice to know there's other fans of such stuff on here!

To this day, As The World Disappears, with its references to Tibetan Buddhist concepts is one of my favorite C93 albums to listen to, when I first bought it in the 90's I didn't really know what he was on about, but I sure thought "the sadness of things, the world does not last" sounded cool!
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Any more information on the lama whose photograph is posted in the OP? He has a beautiful face.
M.G.

Post by M.G. »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Nice to know there's other fans of such stuff on here!

To this day, As The World Disappears, with its references to Tibetan Buddhist concepts is one of my favorite C93 albums to listen to, when I first bought it in the 90's I didn't really know what he was on about, but I sure thought "the sadness of things, the world does not last" sounded cool!
I actually have never heard that album; I'll look it up. Island has some Buddhist-influenced content, from what I remember, though its been years since I listened to it.

It might be fun to compile a list of modern music influenced by Buddhism here. Years before I became interested in Dharma I remember greatly enjoying Hawkwind's "Tibet is not China."
Last edited by M.G. on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Ah just found Dzatrul Rinpoche's bio here.

Chiwang Monastery, Solu Khumbu, Nepal. Incarnation of the Great 10th Dzatrul of Everest fame. Just needed to read further down on that page.
I should be meditating.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

lorem wrote:Ah just found Dzatrul Rinpoche's bio here.

Chiwang Monastery, Solu Khumbu, Nepal. Incarnation of the Great 10th Dzatrul of Everest fame. Just needed to read further down on that page.
:thumbsup:

Does he teach in North America and Europe with any frequency?
lorem

Post by lorem »

Yeah I've always kind of thought of David Tibet as one of my teachers. Impermanence and the suffering of change. Also the magic (David and Psychic TV) EDIT nothing serious more knowhow.

Kind of led right into Tibetan Buddhism.
Last edited by lorem on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I should be meditating.
lorem

Post by lorem »

Don't know. Took teaching in 2010 if I recall so probably same "tour".
I should be meditating.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

lorem wrote:Yeah I've always kind of thought of David Tibet as one of my teachers. Impermanence and the suffering of change. Also the magic (David and Psychic TV) EDIT nothing serious more knowhow.

Kind of led right into Tibetan Buddhism.

Funnily enough, right as I was getting into c93 in the 90's, I also befriended a Tibetan refugee, ex monk who was working at as a night auditor at the hotel where I was doing janitorial work. I think I even brought my As The World Disappears CD into him once and asked for translations..

We never really talked about Dharma at all, I think maybe he explained what "khor wa/samsara" meant to me due to asking about the album (which completely went over my head at the time) I just hung out and ate Chinese food buffets with him and his family, thought his apartment was cool with all the Thangkas, and helped him buy a laptop lol. Years later I also see this as my intro to Tibetan Buddhism..even though at the time I was way too busy with booze and fun to practice.

I have a love hate relationship with that whole music scene, I think it was a lot of people's intro to stuff..at the same time, it was pretty fickle in some ways, and some related groups went in an ugly direction, though Tibet seems to have steered clear of that. Some of the music of that scene (thinking most notably of Coil) to me really was quite "spiritual" in many ways..on a level a lot of music simply isn't.

I love the weird ways in which Vajrayana seems to intertwine with unlikely bits of western culture heh.

Sorry to OT the thread, i'll stop for now just couldn't resist the nostalgia;)

I'm starting a new thread for this kind of music.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Nyingma”