How did you do your Namcho Ngondro?

Somerset

How did you do your Namcho Ngondro?

Post by Somerset »

Hi all, I received the Namcho lung and commentary some years ago and have noticed that the way it generally seems to be practiced is a little different from the way I received it. For instance the accumulation of prostrations/refuge/bodicitta I was taught to use just the vajra verses (dun gi nam khar) In fact all the accumulations were taught using the vajra verses in but for other lamas (KPC etc.) it seems that refuge is accumulated using lama la kyabsu chi'o, Sanjay la kyabsu chi'o etc. Or Mandala is accumulated using the short madala verse Sa Zhi Po kyi...

If there are any practitioners who have done this ngondro any comments would be gratefully received.
I got the lovely commentary by Gyatrul Rinpoche hoping for some clarification, but no joy. I haven't been in touch with the lama I received it from for a long time and for various reasons am unlikely to do so in the near future.
Many thanks!
ngodrup

Re: How did you do your Namcho Ngondro?

Post by ngodrup »

Nam Cho ngondro is a very beautiful and profound practice.
From my point of view, it seems designed for solitary retreat.
That's what I did, reciting the vajra verses, following the associated
auto-commentary.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Somerset wrote:Hi all, I received the Namcho lung and commentary some years ago and have noticed that the way it generally seems to be practiced is a little different from the way I received it. For instance the accumulation of prostrations/refuge/bodicitta I was taught to use just the vajra verses (dun gi nam khar) In fact all the accumulations were taught using the vajra verses in but for other lamas (KPC etc.) it seems that refuge is accumulated using lama la kyabsu chi'o, Sanjay la kyabsu chi'o etc. Or Mandala is accumulated using the short madala verse Sa Zhi Po kyi...

If there are any practitioners who have done this ngondro any comments would be gratefully received.
I got the lovely commentary by Gyatrul Rinpoche hoping for some clarification, but no joy. I haven't been in touch with the lama I received it from for a long time and for various reasons am unlikely to do so in the near future.
Many thanks!

Details of practice should be between the practitioner and that specific Lama, so reconsidering getting in touch with the original teacher or his/her organization for these kind of details maybe the best route. Instructions on these practices from Nam Cho are given in closed retreats, lung, wang and tri, specifically the Tri (teachings on how to practice) are considered instructions for "extraordinary preliminary practices" so the specifics of instruction are considered secret by Nam Cho Lamas and practitioners, specifics are not generally discussed in public, in other words, the instructions are for those that got the wang, lung, and tri and Samaya, so discussions in public aren't encouraged due to Samaya. Gyatrul Rinpoche gives those "how too's" or "Tri" in person in Closed Retreat, and it can differ a bit from other teachers, as you've said, so specific instructions are not given in the book. The "tri" should come from the teacher you are being given the Nam Cho Ngondro from, if it is missing, you should try to follow up with a qualified teacher and organization, or perhaps since it was long ago, consider getting the practice from Upstate or when Khenchen Tsewang teaches it, or one of the other qualified Khenchens.
Somerset

Post by Somerset »

Thank you so much for your input, great advice from all. I'm located in the UK miles from anywhere so will take the opportunity when possible to seek clarification from a lama.
All the specific details naturally I would keep out of public, my question was more from the perspective of the mandala offering which was on the public website (note from Khenchen saying HH Penor Rinpoche would like people to accumulate the sa zhi prayer)
The other thing was the refuge which is detailed in the Ngondro book which i believe is not restricted. However if anyone would care to PM me I would be very grateful. Many, many thanks :)

Return to “Nyingma”