Cutting Hair

kashmir

Cutting Hair

Post by kashmir »

According to Tibetan Buddhism, is there a specific way one should dispose of ones Hair after brushing and nails after cutting, in some mystical traditions it has been said that one must be careful how one disposes of these for example.
tingdzin

Re: Cutting Hair

Post by tingdzin »

I don't know about other traditions, but in some Nyingmapa contexts one is indeed supposed to have awareness about hair disposal, although I don't recall anything being said about fingernails (but that just may be my bad memory).
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There is calculation for this from what is called 'bras rtsi, the calculation of results. It is a part of Tibetan "astrology."
Adder

Post by Adder »

I used to ritually burn them... but it just seemed the right thing to do. :shrug:
kashmir

Post by kashmir »

what about hanging hair on a really big prayer wheel?
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Are these hairs and nails really so important?
Maybe in Tantra. i guess so.

In Dzogchen they are left behind as not so pure things.
I heard, that they would not be permeated by conciousness , these hair and nails, therefore they could not be dissolved into Kadag.

But it could also be that as a prove of attaining the Body of Light , some evidences are left behind.......

Two valid opinions maybe?

Mutsug Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Most Tibetans that I've know burn their hair and nails. The issue, as I understand it, is that no one else should come in possession of it or they can work magic on you. At least that's what I've been told. This is the same in many traditional cultures where magic is still an everyday practice.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Nyingma”