Brass kapala

philji

Brass kapala

Postby philji » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Can someone advise on how the small brass kapala is used in the shrine. Should it remain in shrine at all times and if so what should go in it ? Should it only be put in shrine during tsok for instance and if so does one fill with alcohol and mendrub and then dispose of contents afterwards? Any practical advise appreciated.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Brass kapala

Postby Grigoris » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:23 pm

Normally the brass ones come in pairs (one for men and one for rakta) and are placed permanently on the altar and opened during practice. The offering in the men kapala is used to bless and purify other offerings.

There are specific practices (normally involving visualizing oneself as the yidam) for the kapala offering. If you do not have transmission for these practices, I see no reason why you cannot just offer mendrup dissolved in strong alcohol and purify the offering with the "om ah hum" mantra while splashing some ritually purified water.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

philji

Postby philji » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for reply. So mendrub dissolved in alcohol in kapala on shrine and replaced how often?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:59 pm

philji wrote:Thanks for reply. So mendrub dissolved in alcohol in kapala on shrine and replaced how often?
Personally I do the associated practice on all the auspicious days: full moon, new moon, dakini day, and Sangye Menla/Tara and/or Guru Rinpoche day.

Not replaced, added to... That is why you need strong alcohol , so it won't go mouldy.

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Any problem if the men turns green?

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:29 pm

This is a serious question. When I put wine in a brass kapala, and leave it, the wine turns green. I also assume that when doing long life practices, with ingested substances, using a brass kapala plain or painted, is not a good idea?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 pm

If the green is due to oxidation, well, not really so good for you to use it for ingestion.

I recommend enamel spray paint, like the type they use on oven tops, but red for the inside of the kapala.

Empty the kapla. Scrub it really clean. You can use tape on the outer section of the kapala so it doesn't get painted too. Spray paint. Leave to dry. Spray paint again. Leave to dry. Spray paint one more time. Leave to dry.

The enamel paint (when dry) is non-stick and can be wiped clean and it forms a chemically neutral protective barrier between the brass and the wine.

Or you can use spirits instead of wine. Wine is acidic and caused oxidation. Spirits have a more neutral pH.

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:42 pm

In most Nyingma sadhanas the kapalas are in front of the main image or the torma representing the deity, and they're usually in pairs--Men and Rakta. Sarma sadhanas sometimes do this, as well. In many Sarma practices, one keeps a kapala on one's own practice table, as well, for Amrita/Inner offering.

I have a silver one on my table, and I use small brass ones or the famous "White metal" stuff from Nepal on my shrine. Gregoris' "enamel"technique works well, and for instances where one's kapala has substances to be ingested, we often line it with saran wrap for the length of the puja. We do the same for actual bone kapalas, too, when using them for tsoks.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."

May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.

Fortyeightvows

Postby Fortyeightvows » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Grigoris wrote:If the green is due to oxidation, well, not really so good for you to use it for ingestion.

I hear that, but doesn't make you think of the thirteenth vow for a minute?
:smile:

Lhasa

Postby Lhasa » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:04 pm

conebeckham wrote:In most Nyingma sadhanas the kapalas are in front of the main image or the torma representing the deity, and they're usually in pairs--Men and Rakta. Sarma sadhanas sometimes do this, as well. In many Sarma practices, one keeps a kapala on one's own practice table, as well, for Amrita/Inner offering.

I have a silver one on my table, and I use small brass ones or the famous "White metal" stuff from Nepal on my shrine. Gregoris' "enamel"technique works well, and for instances where one's kapala has substances to be ingested, we often line it with saran wrap for the length of the puja. We do the same for actual bone kapalas, too, when using them for tsoks.

And for the ingested substances, save the remainder in glass, like a cruet, and leave it on the altar?
:thanks:

tomamundsen

Postby tomamundsen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Grigoris wrote: If you do not have transmission for these practices, I see no reason why you cannot just offer mendrup dissolved in strong alcohol and purify the offering with the "om ah hum" mantra while splashing some ritually purified water.

I guess, as with everything in Vajrayana, some teachers will say differently. I was told that there are very strict protocols with how to handle these offerings. I was advised not to do them at all since I don't know how to do them properly. The teacher that told me this attributed a horrible accident that happened to them with making mistakes with these offerings. Just something to consider...

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Grigoris wrote: If you do not have transmission for these practices...

...you cannot and should not do them, including making their offerings. Stick to the outer offerings.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Sudarsana Mandala, Tibetan Medicine and Herbs
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

"Belief is useless."

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm

conebeckham wrote:do the same for actual bone kapalas, too, when using them for tsoks.
Why not just wax them? Bees wax is also anti-fungal and some other anti- too, so it works to seal and protect the skull and the contents.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 pm

PS I reckon the next generation of Mahasiddhas are going to have a grand old time deconstructing the Brahmanic tendencies of "modern" Vajrayana.

conebeckham

Postby conebeckham » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Grigoris wrote:
conebeckham wrote:do the same for actual bone kapalas, too, when using them for tsoks.
Why not just wax them? Bees wax is also anti-fungal and some other anti- too, so it works to seal and protect the skull and the contents.

Yes, I've heard that's a really good solution.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."

May any merit generated by on-line discussion
Be dedicated to the Ultimate Benefit of All Sentient Beings.

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Grigoris wrote:PS I reckon the next generation of Mahasiddhas are going to have a grand old time deconstructing the Brahmanic tendencies of "modern" Vajrayana.

Mahāsiddhas were the ones who set forth these protocols, like Padmasambhava.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

"Belief is useless."

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:40 am

Malcolm wrote:
Grigoris wrote:PS I reckon the next generation of Mahasiddhas are going to have a grand old time deconstructing the Brahmanic tendencies of "modern" Vajrayana.

Yup, and it will be up to the next Mahasiddhas to overturn their protocols, just like the 84 overturned the protocols of their forefathers...

Kunga

Postby Kunga » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:00 am

There is also rakta powder, which should be given by your lama and nobody else. This should be dissolved in tea (or red liquid) but not alcohol.

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:34 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Yup, and it will be up to the next Mahasiddhas to overturn their protocols, just like the 84 overturned the protocols of their forefathers...

You have strange ideas about mahasiddhas. They did no such thing.
Atikosha
Tibetan Medicine Blog
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

"Belief is useless."

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Malcolm wrote:You have strange ideas about mahasiddhas.
So it seems.

Return to “Nyingma”