Bodhicharyavatara as taught in Kagyu

Palzang Jangchub

Bodhicharyavatara as taught in Kagyu

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Was wondering what resources or commentaries are out there for studying Shantideva's magnum opus from Kagyu lamas.

Most of what is readily available comes thru Dza Patrul Rinpoche's lineage. Patrul Rinpoche---while definitely well-respected by all schools and Rimé in view---was Nyingmapa in training. The best known and most widely used commentary, The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech, was authored by his student, Khenpo Kunpal.

Try as I might, I found the traditional layout of NMS quite incomprehensible, almost as if written in code or like I needed to have Shantideva's work in one hand and Khenpo Kunpal commentary in the other, jumping back and forth. This is certainly my failing, rather than Khenpo Kunpal's.

Nonetheless, I've always found the commentaries of the Kagyu masters to be quite simple, concise, and pithy, and that they read like great works in and of themselves, full of lucid and practical teachings. The works of Karma Chagme are a prime example, with Kyabjé Bokar Rinpoche's and Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche's being modern paragons.

So, any Kagyu commentaries on the Bodhichariot out there that someone can point me (and others) to?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
KonchokZoepa

Re: Bodhicharyavatara as taught in Kagyu

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i was a bit dissapointed about the layout of the nectar of manjushris speech, the downside of it is that the root text is not embedded in the commentary, so it makes it hard to read and reflect. like you said you need the original text alongside the commentary.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

to answer your question, the only one i know of is the kunzang pelden's commentary that is the nectar of manjushris speech. and i would quite strongly believe that it is the only translated commentary, at least of the kagyu commentaries.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Palzang Jangchub

KonchokZoepa wrote:to answer your question, the only one i know of is the kunzang pelden's commentary that is the nectar of manjushris speech. and i would quite strongly believe that it is the only translated commentary, at least of the kagyu commentaries.
Kunzang Palden (a.k.a. Khenpo Kunpal) was a Nyingmapa, as was his teacher. I have nothing against this, as my first and most tender steps on the path were guided by Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso Rinpoche, student and regent of His Holiness Penor Rinpoche of the Palyul lineage.

That said, surely some of the many Kagyu masters were inspired to write commentaries on this most important text. Have to imagine so, based on the inspiration that it gives me, the ordinary being that I am.

Obviously Ngulchu Thogme's 37 Bodhisattva Practices was based on it... Some of the 37 eponymous practices are I daresay direct quotes. Has NT's commentary on Shantideva's text, the Ocean of Good Explanation (legs bshad rgya mtsho), been translated into English yet?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Bardor Tulku gave a commentary on the Bodhicharyavatara. It's available as audio CDs through the Namse Bangdzo bookstore, but it's pretty pricey. Lama Phurbu Tashi is teaching it on Tuesday nights in Annapolis. Drop in if you're in the area and say hi.

If Nectar of Manjushri's Speech is too much, I'd suggest reading the Dalai Lama's commentary. I also liked Geshe Kelsang Gyamtso's commentary< meaningful to Behold. Neither of these take the Kagyu perspective,, obviously.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Palzang Jangchub

Lama Jim, leader of the Shantideva Study Group at Bardor Rinpoche's monastery in NY, had this to say:
Bardor Tulku Rinpoche gave an extensive commentary at KTD some years ago. The KTD bookstore has CD audio recording for some of this, e.g. http://www.namsebangdzo.com/product_p/13022.htm

I think eventually more of these recording will be made available.

Here is my little collection of books related to the Bodhicaryavatara: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/kuk ... lection=-1

One book certainly worth looking at is Pema Chodron's commentary.

Karl Brunnholzl's Center of the Sunlit Sky is centered on a Kagyu commentary, by Pawo Rinpoche, a student of the 8th Karmapa, on the 9th chapter - the commentary covered the whole text but Brunnholzl only includes the 9th chapter.

This is probably not the delightful answer you were hoping for but the best I can do!
Not quite sure how Pema Chödrön's commentary, No Time to Lose, slipped my mind entirely. She's a perfect example of the kind of lama-author I was talking about: fresh, lively, and lucid.

Here's hoping my own exercise in futility and forgetfulness has brought some benefit to others.

:cheers:

Skydancer

Post by Skydancer »

Ringu Tulku Rinpoche is teaching Bodhicharyavatara in the form of online shedra on his website. At the moment the website is off-line, but I'm sure it will be back online soon. Meanwhile you can take a look around via Google cache.

Bodhicharya: Online Shedra.
Palzang Jangchub

:good:

Thank you, Skydancer! Always lovely to see free online shedra :twothumbsup:

Palzang Jangchub

Does anyone who has this set of teachings care to tell us more about them? Stumbled upon this in the Shambhala Holiday Catalog that just went out via email.

http://www.shambhala.com/giving-our-best-1.html

Return to “Kagyu”