Karmapa Scheduled to Visit Europe

Jinzang

Karmapa Scheduled to Visit Europe

Post by Jinzang »

The Karmapa Orgyen Thrinley will be visiting Europe for about two weeks in May and June.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Knotty Veneer

Re: Karmapa Scheduled to Visit Europe

Post by Knotty Veneer »

This is really good news at last. Let's hope there is no last minute cancellation as happened the last time. But it lloks like there are still unfair restrictions on his travel in that he is only going to be in Germany. What about Samye Ling etc. - I am sure there are many centers in Europe would love to have him visit. However, hopefully this visit will prove the first of many and he will be able to visit other countries on subsequent visits.

It's a welcome step forward in allowing the Karmapa to fulfil his role. Better late than never, I suppose.
This is not the wrong life.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I am really surprised there is not more of a buzz on the interwebs about this. It's a pretty big step forward in the relaxation of the controls around the Karmapa. Maybe it's too soon - the visit is not until late May. Or maybe people are wary after what happened in 2010.

If I remember correctly, the May/June 2010 visit was announced around the end of February also but was cancelled at the beginning of April. This visit is only for 12 days and only to Germany - so much more restricted than the 5-week tour of 9 countries that had been proposed in 2010.

India obviously still wants to keep control of where Karmapa visits but hopefully if this trip goes well exit visas for other European and even Asian destinations will be forthcoming.

Karmapa Khyenno!
togg

Post by togg »

I am going! I am going! I am going! :rolling: Even if i have
to roll to that place... Really , this is great news, hope it happens.
And thanks for sharing this,really. Guess this might mean that my
"usual" trip to Gyuto monastery to see HHK will not be happening -
Ahhh.. so many plans... but,one never really knows!

kind regards,T
togg

Post by togg »

:namaste: Some changes in the program : http://karmapafoundation.eu/activities/ ... isit-2014/

By the way,the" Empowerment of the 84 Mahasiddhas " been crawling the web about this... cannot find much
about it - anyone?

Cheers,Togg
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I'm thinking it's part of the Pema Benzra terma of Yongay Mingyur Dorje.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Yes, I think Cones right.
s.
heart

Post by heart »

There are also an empowerment of the eighty-four mahasiddha's (as well as various teachings) in the Dam Ngak Dzo.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Knotty Veneer wrote:I am really surprised there is not more of a buzz on the interwebs about this. It's a pretty big step forward in the relaxation of the controls around the Karmapa. Maybe it's too soon - the visit is not until late May. Or maybe people are wary after what happened in 2010.

If I remember correctly, the May/June 2010 visit was announced around the end of February also but was cancelled at the beginning of April. This visit is only for 12 days and only to Germany - so much more restricted than the 5-week tour of 9 countries that had been proposed in 2010.

India obviously still wants to keep control of where Karmapa visits but hopefully if this trip goes well exit visas for other European and even Asian destinations will be forthcoming.

Karmapa Khyenno!

Maybe many people think that the Karmapa has visited Europe, including the U.K. already.
I know my wife who is a student of Lama Jampa Thaye thinks so.
Just a thought.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

Event has high attention, but not all Europeans speak English hahaha :sage:
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Simon E. wrote: Maybe many people think that the Karmapa has visited Europe, including the U.K. already.
I know my wife who is a student of Lama Jampa Thaye thinks so.
Just a thought.
Sorry Simon I'm not really interested in making a political point here.
I am pretty sure that students of Ogyen Trinley are well aware that he has not been allowed visit Europe before. I would be surprised to learn that students of Thaye Dorje were not likewise apprised of the fact that Orgyen Trinley has not been allowed to visit Europe before.
I just wondered given the kerfuffle around Ogyen Trinley's last proposed visit that this one has received relatively little attention thus far. Maybe that'll change closer to the time.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Cone and Magnus,

Can either of you elaborate on the 84 Mahasiddhas wang and the related text/sadhana? I'd never heard of this prior to Karmapa's European schedule being released, and am quite curious...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

There are apparently several traditions that relate to the 84 mahasiddhas. In Karma Kagyu, I think the main practice that relates to this topic is Pema Benzra, which is a terma of Yongay Mingyur Dorje. In practice, it's done as a big Drupchen at monasteries, and it includes "Cham," or Lama Dancing.

But it's possible that this empowerment comes from some other tradition.....as noted, there's some stuff in Dam Ngak Dzo, I think in the supplemental volumes.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Ticket sale is open!

Tickets
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

Return to “Kagyu”