New Ngondro book from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Palzang Jangchub

New Ngondro book from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Slated to be published this summer, Turning Confusion Into Clarity promises to be a contemporary Ngondro commentary that stands on par with Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche's recent Not For Happiness.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to Mingyur Rinpoche's 416 page treatment on the (presumably Karma Kagyu) preliminaries. Here's hoping he gives us as much to work with as Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye's Torch of Certainty.

Product Description:
Advice and encouragement from a leading spiritual teacher and popular author on how to approach the foundational practices of Tibetan Buddhism.

For anyone interested in Buddhist practice and philosophy, this book gives detailed instruction and friendly and inspiring advice for those embarking on the Tibetan Buddhist path in earnest. By offering guidance on how to approach the process and giving instruction for specific meditation and contemplation techniques, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche provides gentle yet thorough commentary, companionship, and inspiration for committing to the Buddhist path.
Reviews:
“This blending of insight into people's minds, personal testimony, and enthusiastic openness to contemporary understanding are some of the hallmarks of Mingyur Rinpoche's unique ease in presenting the deepest teachings of Buddhism along with issues that are relevant to our modern world. In Turning Confusion into Clarity, Rinpoche applies these wonderful skills.”

— Matthieu Ricard, from the foreword
“The foundational teachings of ngondro form the very basis of Vajrayana Buddhist studies and practice. Here is a masterful presentation of these timeless teachings by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, with his characteristic brilliance, mastery of the Buddhadharma, and superior understanding of the contemporary world. It is a must-read for all who aspire to undertake the quintessential practice of ngondro preliminaries.”

— Mindrolling Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche
http://www.shambhala.com/books/buddhism ... arity.html

P.S. I've sent an email to Shambhala asking for them to clarify whether this will be a general treatment of Ngondro, or if it will be lineage specific (to either Karma Kagyu, Chokling Tersar, or Longchen Nyingthik). Will let you all know what they say...

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Adi

Re: New Ngondro book from Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Post by Adi »

Thank you very much for posting about this new book. I've enjoyed his past works and really look forward to reading this one.

Also, anyone that follows the grand tradition of becoming a true wandering yogi is someone I would like to know more about, especially what they choose to publish to the world. :)

Adi
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

He must be due to finish his retreat some time soon or am I mistaken?
This is not the wrong life.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Yes, should be later this year...assuming he stick to the 3 years etc.

Also Tsoknyi Rinpoche told me 'it wouldn't be long' until MR returned...that was last September.

I personally can't wait to see him :)
s.
Palzang Jangchub

Based on his wandering, I wonder how long this book has been in the works. Could he have written this prior to leaving Tergar and it's just being published close to when he returns, or is it possible he wrote some of it while in the midst of his retreat? Perhaps I'll try contacting Helen Tworkov or Cortland Dahl, both of whom would likely know.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I'm pretty sure it will be compiled from Rinpoche's teachings before he went into retreat... Most Lama's have very little to do with the final layout of their books...they provide the raw materials, editors do the rest...my friend was involved in editing Rinpoche's first two books...and I was fortunate enough to help look through some of the draughts... Plus we were travelling with Rinpoche in Europe at the time so he clarified many points, and we relayed them back to the main editor in the U.S
s.
Palzang Jangchub

UPDATE: Got a reply from Shambhala...
Mariele Ventrice wrote:Although some material for Turning Confusion into Clarity comes from Jamgon Kongtrol’s The Nectar of the Simple Yogi, it is meant to be for anyone regardless of which ngondro tradition they are practicing in.
So it will be a general treatment, with some specifics from the short Karma Kagyu ngondro.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

"The Nectar of the Simple Yogi" is not really standard Karma Kagyu, actually. I mean, it's related to Karma Kagyu practice, but it's not historically something that's been part of the Karma Kagyu transmission. Yongay Mingyur Rinpoche borrowed from Kongtrul's text, to create his own condensed Ngondro.....and I think YMD's work is less "Karma Kagyu specific" than the "Long Ngondro" of the Kamtsang tradition, "Chariot for Travelling the Supreme Path," or even the full text of Kongtrul's.....
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

Great news!!!! To bad it will take time to reach my country argentina. Hope someone travels soon and brings it back as a gift XD.
LolCat

Post by LolCat »

For anyone interested in Buddhist practice and philosophy
Does this mean that it is also for people who don't have a teacher currently? I have read The Joy of Living and it really helped my practice, would love it if this book were for everyone.

Also, do they have any plans for a kindle edition?

Return to “Kagyu”