Garchen Rinpoche and Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche

heart

Garchen Rinpoche and Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche

Post by heart »

A strange person posted some wild accusations on CNR's Facebook page (they have been removed now) among them was the accusation that CNR somehow taken Garchen Rinpoche's tulku title. Anyone that heard this or is it a some kind of misunderstanding?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
emaho

Re: Garchen Rinpoche and Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche

Post by emaho »

I don't even understand what sense that accusation would make. How could CNR "take" Garchen Rinpoche's tulku title? He could state that in his opinion Garchen Rinpoche is or is not a tulku. But "take the title"? What is that supposed to mean?
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
heart

Post by heart »

ReasonAndRhyme wrote:I don't even understand what sense that accusation would make. How could CNR "take" Garchen Rinpoche's tulku title? He could state that in his opinion Garchen Rinpoche is or is not a tulku. But "take the title"? What is that supposed to mean?
I really don't know.

I don't know so much about the previous incarnations of Garchen Rinpoche but CNR is the 11th tulku of the siddha Gar Drubchen. I guess Gar Drubchen could easily become Garchen, but I don't know.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pensum

Post by pensum »

Wasn't the third Garchen tulku also named Chökyi Nyima? So maybe they just got mixed up because of the similar names.
heart

Post by heart »

pensum wrote:Wasn't the third Garchen tulku also named Chökyi Nyima? So maybe they just got mixed up because of the similar names.
Could definitely be that simple.

Perhaps the dear mods can delete this whole thread, it feels like a mistake to post it.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

ratna

Post by ratna »

heart wrote:
pensum wrote:Wasn't the third Garchen tulku also named Chökyi Nyima? So maybe they just got mixed up because of the similar names.
Could definitely be that simple.

Perhaps the dear mods can delete this whole thread, it feels like a mistake to post it.

/magnus
No, there's a little bit of historical interest in this. I've always wondered if CNR and GR are recognized the tulku of the same lama. CNR's short bio says he's the seventh tulku of a certain Gar Drubchen ("Mahasiddha of the Gar clan") from Drikung Kagyu lineage who was an emanation of Nagarjuna. GR is the eighth tulku of Gar Chöding, an emanation of Aryadeva. Now either this Gar Drubchen is a Mahasiddha from the same clan and approximately same time period about whom little seems to be known (e.g. TBRC has nothing on him), or Gar Drubchen is the same as Gar Chöding. I don't know. Perhaps someone should ask more CNR about who Gar Drubchen was. Maybe there has been a great teacher worth knowing more about.

Of course, the accusations of someone "stealing" someone's title are absurd and uninteresting, IMO. Multiple tulkus happen all the time for all kinds of reasons, who cares.

R
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Seems to me that, apart from gossip this whole discussion has no bearing whatsoever regarding our progress on the path. At best it will lead to the accumulation of some negative karma that will make us take (another) two steps backward.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
pensum

Post by pensum »

ratna wrote:No, there's a little bit of historical interest in this. I've always wondered if CNR and GR are recognized the tulku of the same lama. CNR's short bio says he's the seventh tulku of a certain Gar Drubchen ("Mahasiddha of the Gar clan") from Drikung Kagyu lineage who was an emanation of Nagarjuna. GR is the eighth tulku of Gar Chöding, an emanation of Aryadeva. Now either this Gar Drubchen is a Mahasiddha from the same clan and approximately same time period about whom little seems to be known (e.g. TBRC has nothing on him), or Gar Drubchen is the same as Gar Chöding. I don't know. Perhaps someone should ask more CNR about who Gar Drubchen was. Maybe there has been a great teacher worth knowing more about.
R
Gar Drubchen was an emanation of Nagarjuna as well as Phamo Drupa (1110-70), who was one of the three foremost disciples of Gampopa. He was the founder of Drong Gompa in Nakchukha, Central Tibet.
ratna

Post by ratna »

pensum wrote: Gar Drubchen was an emanation of Nagarjuna as well as Phamo Drupa (1110-70), who was one of the three foremost disciples of Gampopa. He was the founder of Drong Gompa in Nakchukha, Central Tibet.
Thanks pensum! I'll try to see if I can find out more about him based on this. So far I've found a biography of a mGar dbon, the nephew and student of the first Garchen R, but this doesn't appear to be the guy.

R
honestdboy

Post by honestdboy »

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche is extremely kind. He tries his best to avoid all Tibetan politics and has worked hard for Kagyu reconciliation, so I cannot imagine him doing such a thing. :shrug:

Return to “Kagyu”