Vajrayogini

aussiebloke

Vajrayogini

Post by aussiebloke »

Hello all
I have been pondering over the authorship of the long Vajrayogini sadhana. Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche states in "The heart of the Buddha" book that it was Rangjung Dorje, but that this was a chig gyu lineage until the time of Design Shekpa ( thirteen generations from Naropa ).Would such a text have been used if only intended for one student, as it includes an empowerment for students ( plural )?
Any ideas?
I'd be interested in knowing what the text says itself, in the colophon.
conebeckham

Re: Vajrayogini

Post by conebeckham »

Sadhanas are often collations of various bits and pieces.....The Kamtsang Vajrayogini sadhana was "authored" by Karmapa Tongwa Donden, if I recall correctly, but parts of it were written by previous masters....for example, the internal mandala is, if I recall, from Marpa....so, Karmapa Tongwa Donden composed parts of it, and borrowed pieces from others, to create what we now know as the Vajrayogini Sadhana, the "common" long one with the Ngondro, Self generation, In Front Generation, Vase Generation, Tsok and DagZhug (Entering the Mandala/self-Empowerment).
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

..oh, and prior to Karmapa Tongwa Donden, you'll find Vajrayogini sadhanas by various Karmapas, including First Karmapa's collection of the Five Heart Practices of Five Deity Mandalas....this Vajrayogini/Varahi is one of the five....I don't know what actual liturgy Karmapa Rangjung Dorje recited. I have heard that, earlier on, the liturgy and sadhanas were likely shorter in general, but they expanded and evolved to accommodate larger monastic and Drupdra groups........I've also heard that perhaps there were no "written" sadhanas but that recitations of creation stage were oral transmissions committed to memory. Certainly, the pith instructions for various practices started out that way, before being committed to writing.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

Hi Cone
I'm a little surprised that Trungpa Rinpoche would have made such an error.I have two translations of the text . An copy of the Nalanda translation which states " I ,holding the name of Rangjung Donden"
and one by Peter Roberts that says "the one named Rangjung Donden "Peter Roberts then goes on to name the Karmapa as Tongwa Donden.
It is at odds with what Trunpa Rinpoche writes in the above named book.
Do you perchance know the five deities that Dusum Khyenpa referred to? I have an old translation by Sister Palmo of the Vajrayogini text you mentioned. I remember it having the triple Om mantra in it. I get the feeling ( maybe wrongly) that this isn't practiced widely these days.Although what would I know ...
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

The Three Om mantra is, in fact, practiced in Kagyu, in association with the sadhana you have--with emendations and appendices from a text by Pawo Rinpoche, in three year retreats. But not in Trungpa's system. Not sure which sadhana would have been translated by Sister Palmo.

DuSum Khyenpa's 5 Heart Practices of Five Deity Mandalas are, if I recall correctly, A five deity Tara practice, Phagmo Lha Nga, Demchok Lha Nga, a Five Deity Hayagriva mandala....and one other I have to look up!

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ah...likely the fifth mandala is the 5 deity Gyalwa Gyamtso.......

aussiebloke

Post by aussiebloke »

Thanks for the clarification , you are a wonderful source of useful information
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Information, yes....useful--your call!

You're welcome! :smile:

Return to “Kagyu”