Karma Kagyu in Germany

Palzang Jangchub

Karma Kagyu in Germany

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

With HH Gyalwang Karmapa's recent visit this summer for such amazing teachings, and some reasons I won't get into here, Germany has now popped up on my Dharma radar in a very big way.

I was wondering if anyone here has any contacts at local Karma Kagyu centers around the Hamburg-Berlin area, or is from there themselves. I need to try and figure out a place to stay post-Monlam, and with my finances being what they are, I think perhaps a Dharma center would be the most willing to work with me given my situation. Short-term info would be fine, but it's got the vast potential to turn into long-term stay now that Germany has made university tuition free and this seems to apply to Americans as well.

Also, if you know of any particularly good universities with Tibetan Studies or Buddhist Studies/Tibetan Language, please let me know about that as well. This is all manifesting only since this morning, but I have a really good feeling about it. I'd most likely be trying to room with a good friend of mine from the U.S., so double rooms would be preferred.

Thukche nang!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
lelopa

Re: Karma Kagyu in Germany

Post by lelopa »

the universities of bonn and of marburg come to my mind......
as somewhat like an ex-karma -kagyu i do not actually know a good place near hamburg
Lost In Transmission
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

lelopa wrote:the universities of bonn and of marburg come to my mind......
as somewhat like an ex-karma -kagyu i do not actually know a good place near hamburg
I thought that the University of Hamburg was considered the major German university for Tibetan studies?

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, Bonn and Hamburg.

I just know the people in Hamburg, who are Gelugs. There are some Kagyü centers in Hamburg, but I don't know them personally.
A good place to ask your question once more would be the forum of the Gelug sangha in Hamburg: https://forum.tibet.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hm, but it is in German language.

This one is a good address in Berlin: http://www.bodhicharya.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And these are the Kagyüs in Hamburg: http://www.ttc-hamburg.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Palzang Jangchub

kirtu, the Uni of Hamburg is the one we keep going back to in our thoughts on this potential move. It seems they have a Bachelor's degree which focuses on Tibetan & Indian languages, and they teach in English from what we've gathered, so those are certainly two important factors.

Add to that that HH Gyalwang Karmapa visited Hamburg and gave teachings and empowerments there relevant to both our practices, and the whole thing seems very auspicious! But I'm gonna try to ask Karmapa where I should go rather than try and figure it out on my own again. Done that far too many times already, and the guru's blessings have proven soooooooo much more powerful (needless to say)...

Anyway, more info would be greatly appreciated. If anyone prefer it, please feel free to message me in private.

Thanks again!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Palzang Jangchub

Thank you, Ayu. I wasn't aware of the Gelukpa scene in Hamburg at all. Would you perhaps be willing to be our go-between with the sangha there? My friend was originally born a Frankenfurter, but he says sometimes his German isn't the best.

Personally, I'd be fine stay with or near the Gelukpas. Rimé view is very important, especially now-a-days when we're trying to preserve the tradition in exile. All of the Gelukpas here at Gyuto and up in McLeod Ganj have been very respectful and happy to welcome me, and just the other day I met HH Dalai Lama for the first time this life, so I'm all for it if we could do Karma Yoga for them in exchange for a place, or if they could help place us in a home-stay with sangha members.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes, we can try that. I'll write you a PN.

I know two great teachers in Germany:

- Khen Rinpoche Geshe Pema Samten, Gelug, he stays in Hamburg. But he also visits Hannover for one weekend per month.

- Dagyab Rinpoche Loden Sherab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loden_Sherab_Dagyab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , who works at the university of Bonn and gives lectures in Frankfurt often. http://www.tibethaus.com/en/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is holder of several lines and although he is a Gelug he has contact to Rime.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Tibetology at the University of Hamburg is excellent, but there is only one professorship left (due to budget cuts). Don't know how fixated you are on Germany, I think the University of Vienna might be worth taking a look at.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

kirtu wrote:
lelopa wrote:the universities of bonn and of marburg come to my mind......
I thought that the University of Hamburg was considered the major German university for Tibetan studies?

Kirt
it could be possible - but i only mentioned the universities i know & like to recommend or at least know some good students from there.
i don't know anything about hamburg, just one doctor who i think studied there - but for me he is more, or less :rolleye:
Lost In Transmission
Dakinisa

Post by Dakinisa »

Hey funny how small the word is, I remember posting your offering bowle on our Karmapa Youth website.
I am actually from Berlin and helped organizing the youth event in Berlin when His Holiness came, our center is called Bodhicharya you can also find us on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/bodhicharya.berlin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you know casey from Vienna as well?
If you like to know more please feel free to contact me , either here or thourgh Facebook (Yon Tong) or Karmapa Youth.

blessings :juggling:
lorem

Post by lorem »

Ah!!!! Ringu Tulku Rinpoche. Thank you so much for your post. So awesome!!! Thank you.

:thumbsup:
I should be meditating.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

Hamburg http://www.ttc-hamburg.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Berlin http://www.karma-tengyal-ling.de/de/htm ... rmapa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dakinisa

Post by Dakinisa »

just a quick note:

Karma Tengyal Ling is about 3 hours outside of Berlin and NOT in Berlin. It is a really beautiful country side place for study and practice.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I'm late seeing this, but as I used to live in Hamburg I thought I should chip in. Yes, as has been pointed out, Hamburg University has a superb Tibetan department. One of the main guys there, who used to be a personal friend (not that we fallen out, it's just been many, many, many years) went on to become curator of the Tibetan section of the British Museum.

The link provided to http://www.ttc-hamburg.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; relates to what was a very good centre, and I presume still is. Chime Rinpoche (of Marpa House, England) also has some students there, I could put you in touch if you like. There is, of course, also DW activity (am I allowed to say "Ahem"?). And for sure there are plenty of other groups. The Drikung Kagyu were big. Hamburg is a great city, so you can find pretty much everything you want there, except for mountains and good weather.

Good luck
Alex W
PS Give my love to the harbour!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com

Return to “Kagyu”