How can Karmapa OTD help Tibet in the future?

Luke

How can Karmapa OTD help Tibet in the future?

Post by Luke »

In the past, I have read articles and posts excitedly speculating about how Karmapa Orgyen Trinley Dorje could become the number one public figure of Tibetan Buddhism after the current Dalai Lama dies, but really, how could the Karmapa help Tibet in a way which HHDL hasn't yet been able to? What is the best case scenario? Is the Chinese government more receptive to talking with him than with the current Dalai Lama? Does Orgyen Trinley Dorje speak Chinese?

I really do hope that the Karmapa will find some ways to save Tibet! :namaste:
narraboth

Re: How can Karmapa OTD help Tibet in the future?

Post by narraboth »

Luke wrote:In the past, I have read articles and posts excitedly speculating about how Karmapa Orgyen Trinley Dorje could become the number one public figure of Tibetan Buddhism after the current Dalai Lama dies, but really, how could the Karmapa help Tibet in a way which HHDL hasn't yet been able to? What is the best case scenario? Is the Chinese government more receptive to talking with him than with the current Dalai Lama? Does Orgyen Trinley Dorje speak Chinese?

I really do hope that the Karmapa will find some ways to save Tibet! :namaste:
1. The Chinese government hasn't attacked Karmapa as they did to HHDL yet. So yeah, we assume the conversation might be easier.
2. yes, he speaks Chinese.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

From what I read on Chinese websites, many monasteries in Tibet are allowed to rebuilt and recover their curriculum. These days, many chinese have turned tibetan Buddhism and some of them seem to have links and connection to help secure some resources for the rebuilt. There already seem to have a strong revival taking place. Strict political control are mainly on Gelugpa monasteries. Even on this, there is also some subtle change as former high gov officials are allowed to be seen praying in front of a photo of Dalai Lama

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30983402
Luke

Post by Luke »

WeiHan wrote:From what I read on Chinese websites, many monasteries in Tibet are allowed to rebuilt and recover their curriculum. These days, many chinese have turned tibetan Buddhism and some of them seem to have links and connection to help secure some resources for the rebuilt. There already seem to have a strong revival taking place. Strict political control are mainly on Gelugpa monasteries. Even on this, there is also some subtle change as former high gov officials are allowed to be seen praying in front of a photo of Dalai Lama
I really hope that what you say is true! :anjali:
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Non-Chinese government controlled web sites give quite a different story, although Chinese officials have much toleration for religions under complete Chinese government control. It is depressingly cynical. Chinese officials continue to try to neuter Tibetan culture by "Han-ifying" what they can,using mass tourism the way the Indonesian goverment tried to use mass tourism to absorb Balinese Hindu culture (and had the opposite effect!). In China proper, officials will allow a certain level of religious activity by ethnic Tibetans in Tibetan led activity, but crack down if large numbers of Han get involved. Interestingly Chinese officials continue to lighten up on what they view as "real Chinese Buddhism." Chan activity is increasingly allowed, if heavily infiltrated and watched.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Caodemarte wrote:Non-Chinese government controlled web sites give quite a different story, although Chinese officials have much toleration for religions under complete Chinese government control. It is depressingly cynical. Chinese officials continue to try to neuter Tibetan culture by "Han-ifying" what they can,using mass tourism the way the Indonesian goverment tried to use mass tourism to absorb Balinese Hindu culture (and had the opposite effect!). In China proper, officials will allow a certain level of religious activity by ethnic Tibetans in Tibetan led activity, but crack down if large numbers of Han get involved. Interestingly Chinese officials continue to lighten up on what they view as "real Chinese Buddhism." Chan activity is increasingly allowed, if heavily infiltrated and watched.
Yeah, that's what I expected was still going on there. There were another 2 self-immolations in Tibet a few days ago which indicates that there are still serious problems there.
http://www.lionsroar.com/two-tibetan-nu ... this-year/

Here's an article from several years ago in which the Karmapa tells his view about self-immolations:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/n ... monks-stop

I think that the Karmapa always speaks the truth in a very skillful way. I wish him continued success. :namaste:
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

The Karmapa seems quite skillful. We can only hope that his skillful actions and polices, combined with changes in China, will contribute to beneficial changes for the Tibetan people. Perhaps the only thing we can offer is our moral support for the Karmapa and the Dalai Lama's wise polices.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Luke wrote:
WeiHan wrote:From what I read on Chinese websites, many monasteries in Tibet are allowed to rebuilt and recover their curriculum. These days, many chinese have turned tibetan Buddhism and some of them seem to have links and connection to help secure some resources for the rebuilt. There already seem to have a strong revival taking place. Strict political control are mainly on Gelugpa monasteries. Even on this, there is also some subtle change as former high gov officials are allowed to be seen praying in front of a photo of Dalai Lama
I really hope that what you say is true! :anjali:
Although there maybe some positive changes, still it is not all smooth road ahead for development of Buddhism. Political control from the authority is just one issue. Another problem is the collaboration between corrupted local government officials and businessmen which sought to obtain buddhist properties such as land and monasteries immorally. Budddhists still have to fight very hard from what I see, from different forces that want to limit its space.

Return to “Kagyu”