Gyalwa Gyatso / Red Avalokiteshvara / Jinasagara

Dorje Nyingpo

Re: Gyalwa Gyatso / Red Avalokiteshvara / Jinasagara

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

I received an initiation in the 5 deities mandala of Gyalwa Gyatso (red, single, 4-armed, sitting, mala in upper right hand, plus Padmasambhava, Hayagriwa, Sangwa Yeshe, Dorje Bernagchen/Rangjung Gyalmo/Garwa Nagpo) by Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche, but so far I couldn't get or find a sadhana text. Can anyone help me and send me the text or the link where I can find or buy one?

Thank you & Best Wishes in the Dharma!
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

To correct myself a little: for the Dharmapalas there my have been only Dorje Bernagchen without Rangjung Gyalmo and Garwa Nagpo.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

If you read Tibetan, there is a collection of Kamtsang Liturgy, 3 vols.--one volume devoted to Gyalwa Gyatso, both Lha Gu and Lha Nga versions, over at TBRC.

Also, you may want to check with folks at Bokar Ngedon Chokhor Ling, this practice was, I think, something taught in the context of a Mahamudra program, and it may continue to be taught. They may have translated some stuff, I don't know.

Good luck.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

conebeckham wrote:If you read Tibetan, there is a collection of Kamtsang Liturgy, 3 vols.--one volume devoted to Gyalwa Gyatso, both Lha Gu and Lha Nga versions, over at TBRC.

Also, you may want to check with folks at Bokar Ngedon Chokhor Ling, this practice was, I think, something taught in the context of a Mahamudra program, and it may continue to be taught. They may have translated some stuff, I don't know.

Good luck.
Thank you very much!!! I can read all Tibetan letters, but understand only the special dharma words in Tibetan. At least a Tibetan text of the 5 deities mandala of Gyalwa Gyatso could help to identify the specific deities' mantras and that's my main interest. I don't know TBRC or Bokar Ngedon Chokhor Ling, but I'll try to google them and let you know later, if I was successful!

May all beings be happy!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center, the Shangri-La of Tibetan text:

www.tbrc.org

Bokar Ngedon Chokor Ling monastery Home page:

www.bokarmonastery.org

Also, and this may be obvious, but....did you ask the folks affiliate with the sponsors of the empowerment you received? They may have texts available (though maybe not) or may be able to point you in the right direction.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

Oh, thank you for the links!!! Very helpful as I didn't find the time to google yet and then will save precious time!

Well, I asked the center where the initiation took place, but they couldn't provide a sadhana text and there even was some confusion: they anounced the initiation of Gyalwa Gyatso yabyum, put a thangka of Gyalwa Gyatso yabyum on the wall behind/besides the Lama and made copies of this form to give to the initiates which I received also during the initiation, but then Sanyge Nyenpa Rinpoche gave the single 5 deity empowerment!

I tried to get a text despite the center couldn't provide one and later asked some other Karma Kagyü vajra bros and sis related to Benchen Monastery. They asked Tenga Rinpoche and he again gave them a text of the 9 deity yabyum sadhana which they translated and I received therafter! :smile:

But with your help maybe I succed now to get the precise text of the empowerment!

Best Wishes!
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

The above story reminds me of Traga Rinpoche's visit to the Florida DDC. We had advertised teachings on the Bardos from Padmasambhava's text, Natural Liberation, but when the time came Rinpoche said he'd brought a different text by mistake (ha!) and instead taught on The Ocean of the Single Intention line-by-line.

I think a number of things are possible here, if I may interject. Perhaps you should try and get ahold of the translator who was with Rinpoche to confirm whether it was the 5- or 9-deity, ekavira or yab-yum form which you received empowerment and transmission for. It could be that you received wang for one, and lung for the other (though this might seem odd, it's not unheard of).

Since Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche and Kyabjé Tenga Rinpoche both are from Benchen monastery, I have to imagine that there was a reason that you received the sadhana for the 9-deity Gyalwa Gyatso. Maybe because it's the more commonly practiced of the two at Benchen?

Either way, the sadhana was given by the late Tenga Rinpoche to your friends towards the end of his life. They then went thru and freshly translated it and gave you a copy. I'd say there are some major blessings there. Who knows, perhaps that's the reason you were told you were getting the yab-yum... You got the sadhana for it when you inquired later!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

Karma Jinpa wrote: Either way, the sadhana was given by the late Tenga Rinpoche to your friends towards the end of his life. They then went thru and freshly translated it and gave you a copy. I'd say there are some major blessings there. Who knows, perhaps that's the reason you were told you were getting the yab-yum... You got the sadhana for it when you inquired later!
Well, thank you very much, you hit an essential point! To be open, the reason why I went to this initiation was that I had a vison of Gyalwa Gyatso yabyum before, giving me the transmission just by touching my energy field with theirs from above my head in a very special occasion.

So in essence I already received the transmission directly form the deity, but without a sadhana or mantra. When I told this experience to my Root Master Chögyal Namkhai Norbu he gave me the tridlung transmission of Gyalwa Gyatso Yabyum from Namchö in Anuyoga style (instant self-transformation with the seed syllable) accompanied by the mantra.

I'm doing this almost daily besides other practices and it has very much blessing, also when done for others. So I already received the most important thing I was searching for! But still I'm completing the sadhanas and mantras of all the transmissions I received for my collection of practices integrating all of them in the ones I actually do.
Dorje Nyingpo

Post by Dorje Nyingpo »

@Karma Jinpa: BTW, Karma Jinpa is (also) my refuge name I received from Lopön Tsechu Rinpoche in 1994! So greetings to you, dear Karma Kaygü vajra brother! :hi:
Palzang Jangchub

Recently read some quite amazing things about Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche. You're quite fortunate to have connection to such a mahasiddha! A pleasure to meet you as well, kind sir.

:hi:

This name was bestowed by Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche not long ago at a very special time in my life. My fiancee (now ex) took refuge as well, and we later found out she was pregnant with our daughter. KKR gave us three part names, and obviously the "Karma" portion is quite common in Kamtsang to denote refuge taken with a teacher in Karmapa's lineage. The same is true in the Drikung lineage, where most names begin with "Konchog," denoting refuge taken with a teacher in Lord Jigten Sumgön's tradition.

I often wonder if European-derived names would be seen quite differently if, like in Tibetan, we used common words rather than ones whose meanings are shrouded in the mists of time and need etymology to decode. Obviously for Westerners there is a possible element of exoticism and romantic orientialism, with one thinking it cool to have a Tibetan name kind of like belonging to a secret club. Personally, I've been interested in foreign languages since I can remember, so it's nothing new as far as that goes. Honestly, i tend to think that my teachers have given me names truer to my being than my legal name, or at least names which show me which qualities I should aspire to cultivate.

May all beings be long-lived, generous, wise, realize their indestructible Buddha-nature, and value like precious jewels all fellow beings they meet along the path!

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

Pero

Post by Pero »

Silent Bob wrote:Not to be outdone by my friend Cone, I offer this quote from "The Autobiography of Jamgon Kongtrul": "This practice of Jinasagara, being the quintessential life force of the dakinis, is traditionally said to be very hazardous, and so there are many stories of others, too, who have encountered dangers with this practice. For me, though, I just have never experienced a personal retreat more upsetting than this one." (p.67)

Chris
Could someone elaborate on this please? Why is the practice hazardous? What was upsetting?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

If I recall, Pero, he talks in his Autobio about getting sick, and having many "disturbances." I even recall he broke retreat at least once, though maybe that wasn't part of the "disturbance."

You know, it's often said that certain practices come with obstacles; I have heard Kagyu Lamas say that this practice of Gyalwa Gyamtso, 9 deity mandala, is often disturbing. Phagmo is said to have it's fair share of disturbances as well. I think this relates to Lung issues. And it should be clear, we're talking about intensive, "Nyenpa," accumulation-style practice--strict retreat of some length.

Pero

Post by Pero »

conebeckham wrote:If I recall, Pero, he talks in his Autobio about getting sick, and having many "disturbances." I even recall he broke retreat at least once, though maybe that wasn't part of the "disturbance."

You know, it's often said that certain practices come with obstacles; I have heard Kagyu Lamas say that this practice of Gyalwa Gyamtso, 9 deity mandala, is often disturbing. Phagmo is said to have it's fair share of disturbances as well. I think this relates to Lung issues. And it should be clear, we're talking about intensive, "Nyenpa," accumulation-style practice--strict retreat of some length.
So these disturbances are the inner kind? Do you know if this topic is described somewhere in detail?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Palzang Jangchub

I know this thread has be out of use for a while now, but I just came across some stuff on Facebook and the KTD blog (from the Rumtek Kawang given by Goshir Gyaltsab Rinpoche in October 2015). In his introduction to the empowerment, Gyaltsab Rinpoche gave a short teaching on the history of the Gyalwa Gyamtso practice and how it came into the Karma Kagyu lineage, as well as how this empowerment relates to the Gyalwang Karmapas being named emanations of Chenrezik. Thought it was worth sharing.

Palzang Jangchub

We are each born endowed with a precious human life due to the merit we have accumulated in our past lives. The [third] Karmapa Rangjung Dorje, in his Profound Inner Meaning, measured life by the breaths we take everyday and explained how our life ends moment by moment. For many of us, this is beyond our ordinary understanding. Practically speaking, we can count our lives by years. We might live for seventy or eighty years. But very soon our body decays and we are caught by various diseases. Suddenly one day we find ourselves in the emergency wards of hospitals. Doctors tell us how many months or days we have left. Even if we want to practice Dharma at that time, there is not enough time left.

It is said that human beings don’t have enough merit to access the Vajrayana teachings during the time of other buddhas. However, human beings, by virtue of their merit, have the opportunity to access the complete teachings of the Vajrayana only during the time of Buddha Shakyamuni. We should therefore recognize and rejoice in our good fortune in having such merit.

Today’s empowerment is Gyalwa Gyamtso. The Buddha taught this practice of Chenrezik in sutras, and it is also taught in kriya tantra, charya tantra, yoga tantra and anuttara yoga tantras. The yogi Zalandra personally received this teaching from Chenrezik, which he then transmitted to Guru Padmasambhava. Guru Padmasambhava gave it to Machik Drupai Gyalmo, a great yogini. She gave it to Tiphupa, who gave it to Rechungpa. Tiphupa also sent Rechung to Machik Drupai Gyalmo, who gave Rechungpa an even more extensive teaching than he had previously received. Rechungpa then offered it to his own guru, Milarepa.

According to another lineage of this teaching, when Guru Padmasambhava went to Tibet he first subdued all the maras and devils so that the teachings could flourish there without obstacles. Once all the hostile obstacles were pacified, Guru Rinpoche gave this teaching to his consort Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal. Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal hid this text in a place called Lhodrak in Southern Tibet. It was later discovered by Tertön Nyangral Nyima Öser. Rechungpa also received this lineage from Nyangral Nyima’s son, Nyangsay Mikyö Dorje. After receiving the teaching from all the lineages, Rechungpa gave it to Zangri Repa.

The teaching was then transmitted to the second Karmapa, Karma Pakshi. As soon as Karma Pakshi received this empowerment, he saw a Chenrezik that filled the whole sky. Karma Pakshi went to Sharchok Pungri and practiced the teaching, where he had many visions of Gyalwa Gyamtso in various forms and [with[ different numbers of hands. It is said that Karmapa and Gyalwa Gyamtso became inseparable after that. This is why Karma Pakshi said that, in the future, all the Karmapas would be inseparable from Gyalwa Gyamtso. Hence the Karmapas are known as the emanation of Chenrezik.

The second Karmapa was invited to China by Möngke Khan, the Mongolian emperor. At that time, he performed many inconceivable miracles to subdue the emperor’s negative spirits and bring his mind to [the] Dharma. Karma Pakshi said he was able to do so because of his practice of Gyalwa Gyamtso. Not only that, [but] the second Karmapa was able to bring both Möngke Khan and Kublai Khan, who were the most powerful emperors in the world at that time, into the Dharma through his great miracles. Both Khans became the greatest Dharma patrons. The second Karmapa was able to accomplish all of this because of his practice of Gyalwa Gyamtso.

Karma Pakshi also said that, due to his accomplishment of this practice, there would be 25 successive reincarnations of Karmapas in an unbroken line which would greatly benefit beings and [the] teachings.

In summary, this teaching is very important for our lineage. His Holiness the 16th Karmapa gave the empowerment of this teaching at Swayambhu, Nepal, which is where I received [it].

T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

This is a really wonderful thread, thanks to all who contributed, really an example of a good, edifying read for people.

:twothumbsup:
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Does anyone know which tantra is the source of Jinasagara? Is it found in Kangyur? I know that there is Jinasagara tantra in Namcho terma, but I was wondering if there is also sarma version of the source tantra.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Although there are a few different lineages, and in the Kamtsang they merge into one, I think it's safe to say they are pretty much terma and pure vision orgins. My understanding is that here is some relation to Guhyasamaja Tantra, as well.....but I'm not clear on the Sarma links. Though, frankly, it doesn't matter to me!

Return to “Kagyu”