Water Offering

plwk

Water Offering

Post by plwk »

phpBB [video]

Background of H.E Tsawang Sunjang Rinpoche:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 404&v=wall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Recognized by Dalai Lama as the unmistaken the 4th reincarnation of NGAWA DRAKPA in the year 1989.
http://mbcic.org/chief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lobsang Jangchub Woser is the present incarnation of Tsawang Sungjang Rinpoche. He happens to be the 4th incarnation of Tsako Ngawang Dagpa, one of the chief disciples of Je-Tsaongkhapa, the founder of Gelugpa tradition.
Any comments on the methodology shown?
After watching the video, I noticed some differences in what I was taught as learned from a fellow Gelugpa friend:(more details may be found from Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche's 'Liberation in the Palm Of Your Hand')
1. When laying out the water offering bowls or if it was already laid out on the altar, it should be kept overturned, to avoid placing before the Triple Gem empty bowls, devoid of offerings and turned upwards only for the bowl that water is poured into.
2. When commencing the water pouring, it should be from left to right and when clearing, from right to left
3. The method of pouring, as I have learned is:
a. that it should fill up the first bowl and then pouring the water from the first bowl into the second bowl about 3/4 full, leaving about 1/4 bit of water in the first and then going on until the 7th or 8th bowl
b. or pouring 1/4 in each, from the 1st to the 7th or 8th bowl
And as a final step for (a) or (b), top up the water from right to left, from the first until the last bowl, neither too full nor too little, as they say, one rice grain space from the top (ideal if the bowl has a marker/indicator).
4. During clearing, after pouring away the water, the bowls be wiped dry and then either stacked up either elsewhere or on the altar or just kept overturned in the standard straight line.
(Omitted here are the standard prescribed visualizations and prayers)
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Water Offering

Post by catmoon »

Tnks plwk, I picked up a few good ideas from this video. :)
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
mudra

Post by mudra »

plwk wrote:
phpBB [video]

Background of H.E Tsawang Sunjang Rinpoche:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 404&v=wall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Recognized by Dalai Lama as the unmistaken the 4th reincarnation of NGAWA DRAKPA in the year 1989.
http://mbcic.org/chief.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lobsang Jangchub Woser is the present incarnation of Tsawang Sungjang Rinpoche. He happens to be the 4th incarnation of Tsako Ngawang Dagpa, one of the chief disciples of Je-Tsaongkhapa, the founder of Gelugpa tradition.
Any comments on the methodology shown?
After watching the video, I noticed some differences in what I was taught as learned from a fellow Gelugpa friend:(more details may be found from Kyabje Pabongka Rinpoche's 'Liberation in the Palm Of Your Hand')
1. When laying out the water offering bowls or if it was already laid out on the altar, it should be kept overturned, to avoid placing before the Triple Gem empty bowls, devoid of offerings and turned upwards only for the bowl that water is poured into.
2. When commencing the water pouring, it should be from left to right and when clearing, from right to left
3. The method of pouring, as I have learned is:
a. that it should fill up the first bowl and then pouring the water from the first bowl into the second bowl about 3/4 full, leaving about 1/4 bit of water in the first and then going on until the 7th or 8th bowl
b. or pouring 1/4 in each, from the 1st to the 7th or 8th bowl
And as a final step for (a) or (b), top up the water from right to left, from the first until the last bowl, neither too full nor too little, as they say, one rice grain space from the top (ideal if the bowl has a marker/indicator).
4. During clearing, after pouring away the water, the bowls be wiped dry and then either stacked up either elsewhere or on the altar or just kept overturned in the standard straight line.
(Omitted here are the standard prescribed visualizations and prayers)

PLWK - the way you have learnt is the same as I have, from Dagpo Lama Rinpoche, and from others in the same lineage. It is the way it is done in all the great Gelug monasteries etc. We never put down empty bowls like that. Filled left to right for sutric offerings, if you are making certain tantric offerings then a second row right to left.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Hi Plwk,
In one of my postings under "The magic of the incense stick" I did make reference to your posting of the "Water offerings" but I wrongly stated that this posting was by Individual.A thousand apologies for the mistake.
May the Buddhas be with you.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Small variation from what you describe, and quite different from the video:

To begin with I have the empty bowls stacked next to the shrine rather than on it. I partially fill each bowl before placing it on the shrine, then top up when they are the 'correct' distance apart, as you described.

When removing them I empty and dry each one in turn and then stack upturned at the side of the shrine. I have a cloth on my shrine so putting wet upturned bowls on it as shown in the video would be messy.

I was also told we should be careful how we dispose of the water. Of course it should also not be offered more than once.

There are also some teachings, like those relating to empty bowls, about the karma of spilling the water, filling the bowls too little or too much.

I confirm that it is correct, as I understand it, that there may be several rows of bowls, some right-to-left, some left-to right, for specific tantric practices. I tend to have some rows permanently on the shrine with flowers, incense etc. and some for water offerings at the very front.

Of course, the whole offering is within the context of settling with proper motivation and a suitable environment for practice.
Left
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Yeshe wrote:
To begin with I have the empty bowls stacked next to the shrine rather than on it.
Yes, only offerings on the shrine. We should not even keep our chanting beads/malas on the shrine.However there are people who do keep their malas on the shrine.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

I was taught by a Gelugpa monk how to do this. It's very simple, the way he taught me, but as mentioned already it's intention that counts.

I leave the bowls on the altar turned upside down. I first get flower offerings and get ready for the water. Then I pour the first bowl completely full and go left to right pouring a tiny big of water from the first bowl so there are no empty offerings on the altar. The bowls should be about a grain of rice apart. I fill the rest of the bowls from left to right saying, OH AH HUM every time. Then when all the offerings are in place, I light an incense and wave it over all the offerings on the shrine (including the flowers) reciting OH AH HUM. Then I do daily recitations and a short practice that includes homage to some deities and and short mantra chanting while sitting in front of the shrine. It's a simple ritual but it's very nice and used with my short daily recitations it feels like a very nice way to start the day. He told me to take the offerings down by 2:00pm and if I don't make it by then, take them down the next morning.

I hope that's of some use.

Best,
Laura :)

Return to “Gelug”