First Dalai Lama's Tara Sadhana question

Konchog1

First Dalai Lama's Tara Sadhana question

Post by Konchog1 »

I'm looking over two different versions of Gendun Drup's Quickly Evoking Awakened Activity. One is from Glenn Mullin's Meditations on the Lower Tantras and is sourced to gSung-'bum-thor-bu Collected Works vol. 6 Tashi Lhunpo Edition. The other is from Gaden for the West. Both are very similar, except for one huge difference. Mullin's is front visualization only. Gaden's is self visualization only. Everything else is the same. Calling Tara, water vase initiation, offerings, and praise (with Tara dissolving into you at the end of Mullin's version). The only difference is who it's happening to.

Which is right? Does someone perform this Sadhana? Or have a copy in Tibetan they can check? Thanks so much.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Nicholas Weeks

Re: First Dalai Lama's Tara Sadhana question

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

In Mullin's later work Selected Works of Dalai Lama I 137-40 - his translation of the Green Tara sadhana is obviously the basis for the Gaden for the West version. The book version has self-generation as a "16 year old girl" and the Gaden West drops the word "girl". Other minor differences are there, but they are based on the same Tibetan text, I would guess.

In Mullin's bibliographic note he gives "sGrol-ma-ljang-sgrub-thab-dor-bdus" as the source text.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Ah thanks Will, so Mullin later corrected the translation.

But the text still says Tara dissolves into you at the end. There's no way it's a mistranslation. But, all three versions only have one visualization either front or self not both.

What the heck.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Konchog1 wrote:I'm looking over two different versions of Gendun Drup's Quickly Evoking Awakened Activity. One is from Glenn Mullin's Meditations on the Lower Tantras and is sourced to gSung-'bum-thor-bu Collected Works vol. 6 Tashi Lhunpo Edition.
This is front visualization because it is lower tantra.
The other is from Gaden for the West. Both are very similar, except for one huge difference. ... Gaden's is self visualization only.
This version is either Yogatantra or HYT.
The only difference is who it's happening to.
ell in either version it's still happening to you.

The same sadhana can be practiced at different levels of tantra depending on the lama.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

I am certainly no expert on the topic, but aren't there sadhanas in the lower tantras with self-gen?
One ex. is there is a White Tara practice with self-gen.

Shaun :namaste:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Konchog1 wrote:Ah thanks Will, so Mullin later corrected the translation.

But the text still says Tara dissolves into you at the end. There's no way it's a mistranslation. But, all three versions only have one visualization either front or self not both.

What the heck.
Too lazy to find my copy of Mullin's Lower Tantras book to compare, besides you need a lama to orally answer this best.

As I read the sadhana in the Selected Works volume, Tara does not dissolve into you at the end, but much earlier. First you symbolically become the form of Tara; then you invoke Tara & other Wisdom Beings & they appear before you, next they merge with you the Symbolic Tara. Next initiatory beings begin filling you with nectar & then Amitabha appears above your head... etcetera.

At the end you are making offerings to yourself as Tara, so only a good lama can explain to you why you blend with Tara, yet still make offerings to Tara at the end.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Will wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:Ah thanks Will, so Mullin later corrected the translation.

What the heck.
Too lazy to find my copy of Mullin's Lower Tantras book to compare, besides you need a lama to orally answer this best.

As I read the sadhana in the Selected Works volume, Tara does not dissolve into you at the end, but much earlier. First you symbolically become the form of Tara; then you invoke Tara & other Wisdom Beings & they appear before you, next they merge with you the Symbolic Tara. Next initiatory beings begin filling you with nectar & then Amitabha appears above your head... etcetera.

At the end you are making offerings to yourself as Tara, so only a good lama can explain to you why you blend with Tara, yet still make offerings to Tara at the end.
Yeah, same with Lower Tantras but again it all happens to the Tara in front. After the dedication, the front merges with you.

I think Kirtu is right. There must be two versions for different classes.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

While unfamiliar with the sadhanas, self-generation as the deity is found in practices of all classes of tantra, and to classify a practice as lower class due to lack of self generation is not neccesarily correct reasoning.

Return to “Gelug”