English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Zhen Li

English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

Post by Zhen Li »

Does anyone know if there are English translations of the Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya available? And if so, are they available online? My searches have been somewhat futile.

Thank you.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: English Dharmaguptaka and Sarvastivada Vinaya

Post by Huseng »

The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

I don't know about any other projects at the moment.
Michael_Dorfman

Post by Michael_Dorfman »

Huseng wrote:The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

You are correct about it being the Numata Foundation/BDK-- they list both the Dharmaguptaka Vinaya (T.1428) and the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya (T.1425) on their activity list here: http://www.bdk.or.jp/english/activity/list.html.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Great, I shall keep an eye on that.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Michael_Dorfman wrote:
Huseng wrote:The Dharmagupta Vinaya is in the process of being translated and published. If I recall correctly it is the Numata Foundation sponsoring it. There's also the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya being done.

You are correct about it being the Numata Foundation/BDK-- they list both the Dharmaguptaka Vinaya (T.1428) and the Mahāsāṃghika Vinaya (T.1425) on their activity list here: http://www.bdk.or.jp/english/activity/list.html.
They are also translating the Lankavatara Sutra (T. 671) - looking forward to that!
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
plwk

Post by plwk »

BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

I have a copy of the Dharmaguptaka bhiksu pratimoksa, my own translation, for those who need it.

~~ Huifeng
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

plwk wrote:BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.
That is just selections right? Both can hardly be 168 pages if Horner's Theravada Pratimoksa is 3 volumes. :thinking:
I have a copy of the Dharmaguptaka bhiksu pratimoksa, my own translation, for those who need it.
Do you have a digital copy? From Chinese?
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

Ben Yuan wrote:
plwk wrote:BY, recently I bought this, if it's of any help.
That is just selections right? Both can hardly be 168 pages if Horner's Theravada Pratimoksa is 3 volumes. :thinking:
Do you have a digital copy? From Chinese?
PM me.
Tathaaloka Bhikkhuni

Post by Tathaaloka Bhikkhuni »

_The Discipline in Four Parts - Rules for Nuns According to the Dharmaguptakavinaya_ is a translation of the entire Dharmaguptaka Bhiksuni Vibhanga from Chinese. It can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Discipline-Accord ... 8120818008.

If you are looking for something much lighter,

The Dharmaguptaka Bhiksuni Pratimoksa is translated from Chinese into English here in _Sisters in Solitude_: http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Solitude- ... 0791430901. You can "look inside" the book :-).

Also, both the Sarvastivada and Dharmaguptaka bhiksuni pratimoksas are translated from Chinese into English here in _Bhikkhuni Patimokkha of the Six Schools_ available freely online on Buddhanet: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/bhikk ... mokkha.pdf.

Best wishes to you!

Wishing you benefit in your studies ~

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”