Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Ray Rudha

Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Post by Ray Rudha »

Most of you are probably familiar with the short Great Dragon Krkala sutra, in which the Dragon is introduced as a transformation of Acala.

There is a mantra given there, which to me feels very corrupted, in the sense of the original Sanskrit having been modified in the Chinese translation and then the back-translation.

Here is the mantra from the sutra version that is common:

Namo sidhi sidhi susidhi sidhi kala laya kuyam Samma masli acama sidhi svaha

And here are two other versions I have found:

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI KARA RAYA, GUHYA SAM MAMA SRI, AJAN MA SIDDHI SVAHA

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI-KARAYA, KULIKA SAMA-SAMA SRI, AJANMA SIDDHI SVAHA

Let's try and work together to figure out which one is most correct. A Sanskrit version of the sutra would help.

http://fodian.xinwenwuzhe.com/world/1206.html
Aemilius

Re: Great Dragon Krkala Mantra

Post by Aemilius »

Ray Rudha wrote:Most of you are probably familiar with the short Great Dragon Krkala sutra, in which the Dragon is introduced as a transformation of Acala.

There is a mantra given there, which to me feels very corrupted, in the sense of the original Sanskrit having been modified in the Chinese translation and then the back-translation.

Here is the mantra from the sutra version that is common:

Namo sidhi sidhi susidhi sidhi kala laya kuyam Samma masli acama sidhi svaha

And here are two other versions I have found:

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI KARA RAYA, GUHYA SAM MAMA SRI, AJAN MA SIDDHI SVAHA

NAMO SIDDHI SIDDHI, SU SIDDHI, SIDDHI-KARAYA, KULIKA SAMA-SAMA SRI, AJANMA SIDDHI SVAHA

Let's try and work together to figure out which one is most correct. A Sanskrit version of the sutra would help.

http://fodian.xinwenwuzhe.com/world/1206.html
Just ask the Dragon himself, how He feels about these mantras?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”