Fayun Monastery

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas Weeks

Fayun Monastery

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

In New Mexico this center is new to me; anyone visited it?

There are, or used to be, two monasteries, one for bhikshus in Taos and one for bhikshunis in Vadito.

They kindly sent me, gratis, a small book of their Master's teachings, without me even asking.

http://fayun.org/index.php?p=english_info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Fayun Monastery

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The beautiful little book, in Chinese & English is called 100 Teachings of their Master. Here is a sketch about him:

http://fayun.org/index.php?p=ven-miu-king
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Just bumping this up, in hopes of someone who visited the monastery giving their impressions.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I've not been there, but I'm delighted to hear they are practicing Dharma in one of the most beautiful places in this earth. Purple Mountains Majesty!
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

I had the opportunity to visit the nun's community twice. I only really have surface level impressions, since I only attended a Great Compassion Repentance and the evening ceremony there. I was told the community is dedicated to the study of the Yogacarabhumi shastra following the video lectures of the late Master Miao Jing. They host occasional weeklong events which are mostly meditation sits and lectures (last one I saw focused on the Diamond Sutra, including daily recitation). They live in a simple and tranquil environment.

Beyond my personal experience, I know that at least one Dharma Master at CTTB considers them favourably. Master Miao Jing's community also seem to respect Tibetan Buddhism, as they participated at Heart Shrine Relic Tour events when the relics were in Santa Fe (if I remember correctly), and paid a visit to Ribur Rinpoche when the FPMT headquarters used to be in Taos. Ribur Rinpoche also praised the deportment (I take this as a reference to 威儀) of Master Miao Jing's disciples, saying that they are models for how monastics ordained in the Tibetan tradition should conduct themselves.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

jmlee369 wrote:I had the opportunity to visit the nun's community twice. I only really have surface level impressions, since I only attended a Great Compassion Repentance and the evening ceremony there. I was told the community is dedicated to the study of the Yogacarabhumi shastra following the video lectures of the late Master Miao Jing. They host occasional weeklong events which are mostly meditation sits and lectures (last one I saw focused on the Diamond Sutra, including daily recitation). They live in a simple and tranquil environment.

Beyond my personal experience, I know that at least one Dharma Master at CTTB considers them favourably. Master Miao Jing's community also seem to respect Tibetan Buddhism, as they participated at Heart Shrine Relic Tour events when the relics were in Santa Fe (if I remember correctly), and paid a visit to Ribur Rinpoche when the FPMT headquarters used to be in Taos. Ribur Rinpoche also praised the deportment (I take this as a reference to 威儀) of Master Miao Jing's disciples, saying that they are models for how monastics ordained in the Tibetan tradition should conduct themselves.
Sounds like a solid sangha, worthy of support. If you ever visit the Bhikshus' monastery, I hope you find equally good exemplars.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”