The correct use of recitation beads/malas in East Asia

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
yan kong

The correct use of recitation beads/malas in East Asia

Post by yan kong »

I often use my recitation beads when I recite mantras or Buddha's name. There seem to be plenty of resources on mala use and etiquette from a Tibetan standpoint but little from an East Asian one. My concern is whether it is bad form to pass over the guru bead or not. I had assumed it was but then while listening to a Dharma talk at my local dharma Realm temple I saw one of the nuns using her beads and passing right over the guru bead every time. So can one pass over the guru bead like any other or should one stop, reverse the beads and turn the other way?

With Metta
Yan Fa
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Re: The correct use of recitation beads/malas in East Asia

Post by Admin_PC »

I'm probably wrong, but I was always told that such etiquette was for those schools which took Samaya vows with a guru?

In Japanese Buddhism, that bead is typically referred to as 親珠 ("Oyadama" or "Boshu), which means "parent bead" or "Buddha bead". I know in Jodo Shu, it would be almost impossible to flip around the Nikka Juzu (designed for 60,000 recitations) at every "Buddha bead". (reference).
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

It depends on the teacher, some Tibetan lamas do teach their students not to cross the guru bead, others say it is not important.
supermaxv

Post by supermaxv »

You're not going to find an authoritative answer to this online or in books. You really should ask your teacher.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Over the years in the Chinese Mahayana Tradition, I have come across those who have 101 observances over a mala and then those who have no such qualms over a practice tool as one can see two sample views as below...

Buddhist Prayer beads - A sacred spiritual tool

phpBB [video]
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

plwk wrote:Over the years in the Chinese Mahayana Tradition, I have come across those who have 101 observances over a mala and then those who have no such qualms over a practice tool as one can see two sample views as below...

Buddhist Prayer beads - A sacred spiritual tool

phpBB [video]
I've seen the venerable master's video on the subject thank you. Do you have more information about these "observances" ?

I will ask one of the Dharma teachers at my local temple but I imagine their answer will be the same as Master Sheng Yen.
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
plwk

Post by plwk »

Do you have more information about these "observances" ?
Nope and you may have to get them on their contact page for more info
Jechan

Post by Jechan »

Hi,
Whichever method helps you promote mindfulness and focuses your recitations is the best method for you.
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経
南無妙法蓮華経

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”