Chattanooga TN?

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cj39

Chattanooga TN?

Post by cj39 »

Does anyone know any Buddhist resources in Northwest GA from about Rome GA up to about Chattanooga TN? I have been amazed at the lack of cultural diversity in these parts. My Dad passed this spring and we have been visiting fairly regular to help Mom out with the farm. Atlanta is 90 miles and a world away. Seems like the Vietnamese community may be holding celebrations in the area but I am not sure how to contact them. Pure Land would be prefered.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Chattanooga TN?

Post by kirtu »

“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
cj39

Post by cj39 »

Thank you. Not much on the list actually close to Chattanooga though.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

cj39 wrote:
Thank you. Not much on the list actually close to Chattanooga though.
It looks like your best bet is Atlanta. You could see if someone there knows about resources closer to your area.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

I'm in Marietta (East Cobb), which is basically on the way from Atlanta to Chattanooga. Unfortunately, all of the Buddhist groups that are Pure Land/Pure Land-friendly are on the east side side of town. The Chinese PL group that I visited (which has a large Vietnamese contingent) is 40 miles from where I live, and thus even further from Rome (another 50 miles). If you do stumble across anything in northwest GA, please let me know. I'll keep an eye out myself.
cj39

Post by cj39 »

Here is the link about the Vietnamese community:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/news ... oga/40907/
SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi »

Might I ask from where you are visiting the area? There may be places along the way.

S.
no tea is too good for me
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

cj39 wrote:Does anyone know any Buddhist resources in Northwest GA from about Rome GA up to about Chattanooga TN? I have been amazed at the lack of cultural diversity in these parts. My Dad passed this spring and we have been visiting fairly regular to help Mom out with the farm. Atlanta is 90 miles and a world away. Seems like the Vietnamese community may be holding celebrations in the area but I am not sure how to contact them. Pure Land would be prefered.
http://www.mocd.org/upcoming-retreatssp ... vents.html

This group seems more than solid, however it's Vajrayana, and you'd have to take a drive.
cj39

Post by cj39 »

SamBodhi wrote:Might I ask from where you are visiting the area? There may be places along the way.

S.
From Auburn-Opelika across the state line in Alabama. It is about a 150 mile trip one way.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”