Hoza and Buddhist Practice

dsaly1969

Hoza and Buddhist Practice

Post by dsaly1969 »

Since Jikan was interested in a discussion of Hoza (which is done in Rissho Kosei-kai) from a practice standpoint, let me first share links to a few articles which basically define Hoza and how it is supposed to work:

http://www.rk-world.org/hoza.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rk-world.org/practice.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In terms of practice involving core Buddhist concepts, RKK promotes the practice of hoza (circle of compassion) in which we learn to see Universal Truth at work within the struggles of our daily lives. In a group setting, we share our daily travails and try to interpret them through such things as the 4 Noble Truths. It gives us the opportunity to practice applying the Buddhadharma in a practical and concrete manner applicable to everyday life, along with the support of the Sangha.

Hoza is something that many of us probably do at some level informally but makes more of a formalized process of it and makes it workable within a dharma group. This is an idea that should be "exported" as a good idea within ANY Buddhist setting. Hoza is a unique dharma practice which is a type of facilitated discussion where people analyze their life situations using the core teachings of Buddhism (4 Noble Truths, Eightfold Path, etc.).

Hoza is ideally practiced in a group with an experienced dharma teacher trained as a hoza facilitator. The purpose of Hoza is to examine life issues using the lens of these basic Buddhist teachings to practically apply Buddhadharma to everyday issues. However, I also apply hoza individually and within a therapeutic context.

I'm a social worker so I tend to find Hoza useful not only for myself, but also with my clients. The development of Hoza in Japan actually predates CBT and Buddhist psychotherapy so it could be seen as a precursor. I don't identify it as "Hoza" and avoid Buddhist-specific terms but it does help clients to step back from the emotional impact of a situation and critically analyze cause and effect especially using the framework of the Four Noble Truths. I walk my clients through this process. This makes Buddhadharma very concrete and practical, and less "mystical" (I'm talking about the stereotype of Buddhism and not in actuality).

Let me set the groundwork also by point out that RKK views itself as Ekayana (One Vehichle) Buddhist, not necessarily Nichiren Buddhist. But how does RK actually define and actualize Ekayana Buddhism?

Here are their basic principles of "Ekayana Buddhism":

1. Our Path is inclusive, welcoming all to study and practice.

2. We celebrate the diversity found within the human family and at the same time, we acknowledge our interconnectedness.

3. We study and practice Ekayana Buddhism (One Vehicle) by which we respect all spiritual traditions and acknowledge them as tactful methods to achieve Enlightenment.

4. We promote inquiry as a part of our spiritual path while teaching core Buddhist concepts combined with the wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.

5. We work to establish interfaith relationships that are not just intellectually based, but that create a deep human connection with others.

6. We recognize the buddha-nature in all, and practice the bodhisattva way to be of benefit in the world.

7. We practice hoza (circle of compassion) in which we learn to see Universal Truth at work within the struggles of our daily lives. It gives us the opportunity to practice applying the Buddha Dharma, along with the support of the Sangha.

8. Chanting the Lotus Sutra is: an expression of gratitude, a purification for the mind, mouth, and body, a gift of service to all beings, and a way to connect with the Eternal Truth.

9. We study and practice the Enlightenment teachings for our own personal growth and to support others on their Path.
DGA
Former staff member

Re: Hoza and Buddhist Practice

Post by DGA »

Thank you for this material. I can see how this would be a very helpful practice for people who are just beginning to integrate Buddha Dharma into their lives, and for building a sense of community among practitioners--just for starters. There are a number of good directions this can go.

I'm of the view that if it helps people to be mindful of the teachings and conduct their lives accordingly--if it helps people practice more and practice better--then it gets the benefit of the doubt.

Return to “Nichiren”