Indepent/Prayer Gohonzon question

Shingyo

Indepent/Prayer Gohonzon question

Post by Shingyo »

Hello everyone. :-)

I have a copy of the Prayer gohonzon which I have framed and I chant with. Last night I was doing some reading concerning some of the names that are on it, and in doing so I found on a different forum that there is/has been the belief that it is not a genuine gohonzon and that it was produced as some kind of scam or something like that. My question is what is the story behind that? I mean I know it is common(?) with independent Nichiren Buddhists, but this is the first time I have heard that kind of criticism about it. I know the whole controversy about whether someone should download/print gohonzons or not, I am not even going to deal with that whole issue. Also, even if the Prayer gohonzon issue is overblown, is there a different gohonzon that others would recommend to me which is not sect specific or is that a matter of personal preference?

Finally, while I know there are some here would say it is necessary, but is the common consensus that an eye-opening ceremony MUST be done or at least SHOULD be? Or am I fine just having the gohonzon as is?

Thank you all for your time. :-)

:namaste:
"There is no place where the moonlight fails to grace, but it only abides in and purifies the hearts of those who gaze upon its face."
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
nichirenista

Re: Indepent/Prayer Gohonzon question

Post by nichirenista »

To my knowledge, opinions vary with regard to the necessity of an Eye Opening ceremony. I believe many do think it is necessary, but I've read that SGI says it is meaningless. As to the authenticity of the prayer Gohonzon, welcome to Nichiren Buddhism. Such controversies abound. For example, SGI and Shoshu revere the "Dai Gohonzon," while Nichiren Shu and just about all other Nichiren sects contest its authenticity.

It may be important to remember what Nichiren said: "Never seek the Gohonzon outside yourself." In other words, your sincere chanting makes it authentic.
dude

Post by dude »

I think that's the right approach.
As long as we maintain whole-hearted sincerity and diligence, the true aspect will reveal itself.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

I have two gohonzons, one is smaller for travel and I downloaded and printed it. I eye opened both of them myself really only because it was cool.

I suspect requiring the ritual to be done, and by a priest no less is sort of a way to get people to be more dependent on organizations or priesthoods.

Personally, I prefer the juzu beads as a "thing" to help focus our minds. The past two months has seen a lot of me using the beads only due to time stuff. if anyone is concerned about gohonzons, mayhaps just do without them.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Shingyo

Post by Shingyo »

Thank you all for your replies. This was largely my suspicion as well.
Nichirenista:
Thank you for reminding me of those words of Nichiren. It really says it all, doesn't it? :-)
Myoho-Nameless:
I have considered printing a small version for travel as well, but I am unsure of how to "carry" it, such as a frame or whatever else. I do really enjoy the juzu beads I have. A cheap (but decent) set was given to me by a person I know who is ex-SGI. Apparently they were a simple plastic black and white set that are inexpensive from SGI. They work for the time-being and I like them. It feels good to use them.
dude:
As long as we maintain whole-hearted sincerity and diligence, the true aspect will reveal itself.
I really like what you said here, and thank you. Very helpful and just what I needed.

"There is no place where the moonlight fails to grace, but it only abides in and purifies the hearts of those who gaze upon its face."
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
rory

Post by rory »

Oops I thought I'd posted about this but let me say the late Rev. Senchu Murano of Nichiren Shu is the source for the Prayer Gohonzon, which is an authentic gohonzon inscribed by Nichiren. Read about how Don Ross received and then later disseminated it:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nic ... sages/6640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nichiren shonin has mentioned the necessity of Kaigen (Eye opening ceremony) at his works, Mokue Nizo Kaigen no koto."If a person who has mastered the Lotus sutra does not perform the eye opening ceremony of a wooden or painted image of the Buddha, it is like a house burglarized while its master was out, or the corpse of a dead person invaded by demons."
I pasted this from the Kempon Hokke website: http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~lotus/Membership.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and all Mahayana sects do this as well. But of course we're all free to make our own choices.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

jaidyncasey wrote: Myoho-Nameless:
I have considered printing a small version for travel as well, but I am unsure of how to "carry" it, such as a frame or whatever else. I do really enjoy the juzu beads I have. A cheap (but decent) set was given to me by a person I know who is ex-SGI. Apparently they were a simple plastic black and white set that are inexpensive from SGI. They work for the time-being and I like them. It feels good to use them.
I put my minizon in a standard issue picture frame, that can be hooked to a wall or stood up on it's own. When traveling I usually put it in my carrying bag for my Wii U (along with my Wii U of course...shame the xbx 360 aint so portable), previously my laptop bag. Perhaps there is some deep rooted cosmic symbolism in that as my japanese teacher said, nintendo is actually Japanese for "gateway to heaven", or maybe its just convenient, and if I put it in my clothes bag it will inevitability come back in it, with all my dirty laundry, that cannot happen!

Now....there are probably many reasons why I am going straight to naraka after I die, this may be one of them, so it is possible what I am doing here is completely wrong and disrespectful, mayhaps I am not really a good example of what to do about this situation.

The SGI had a microhonzon that had a folding carrier for it, looks neato, and its circular I think....on my last trip I neglected to bring my minizon, oops. Oh well, like I said, if I had to pick between a gohonzon and the juzu, I would pick the juzu.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Hi all.

The Prayer Gohonzon is in the Gohonzon Shu so it is probably considered by most scholars, priests, and believers to be authentic. Me thinks the rumor that it is inauthentic was begun by the Soka Gakkai, so many who left the Gakkai having taken up the Prayer Gohonzon that was brought to these shores [the copies] by Bruce Maltz.

As far as the Gohonzon found in faith alone or only existing in the heart, here are some words of Nichiren and my commentary:

"I am entrusting you with the Gohonzon for the protection of your young child. This Gohonzon is the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all the scriptures. It is like the sun and moon in the heavens, a mighty ruler on earth, the heart in a human being, the wish-granting jewel among treasures and the pillar of a house.

When one embraces this mandala, all Buddhas and gods will gather around him, accompanying him like a shadow, and protect him day and night, as warriors guard their ruler, as parents love their children, as fish rely on water, as trees and plants crave rain, or as birds depend on trees. You should trust in it with all your heart." (Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon)
"In addition, you should not presume to fathom [the blessings of the Gohonzon]. Whether or not your prayer is answered depends upon your faith; [if it is not,] the fault in no way lies with me, Nichiren.
(Reply to Nichigon-ama)
I am bestowing upon you the Gohonzon of Myoho-renge-kyo. Though [the daimoku of] this mandala is written in but five or seven characters, it is the teacher of all Buddhas throughout the three existences and the seal that guarantees the enlightenment of all women.

It will be a lamp in the darkness of the road to the next world and a fine horse to carry you over the mountains of death. It is like the sun and the moon in the heavens or Mount Sumeru on earth. It is a ship to ferry people over the sea of suffering. It is the teacher who leads all people to enlightenment.

This mandala has never yet been revealed or propagated anywhere in the world in the more than 2,220 years since the Buddha's passing." (Bestowal of the Mandala of the Mystic Law)
"I should speak to you frankly, but while some people will accept advice, others feel they are not being correctly understood. It is extremely difficult to fathom another person's mind. I have experienced difficulties on many occasions. You do not readily accept advice, so I will not counsel you directly. Just pray to the Gohonzon frankly and sincerely, without help from anyone." (On Prolonging Life)
"This Gohonzon was never known, let alone inscribed by anyone in the Former or Middle Day of the Law. The lion, king of beasts, is said to advance three steps, then gather himself to spring, unleashing the same power whether he traps a tiny ant or attacks a fierce animal. In inscribing this Gohonzon for her protection, Nichiren is equal to the lion king. This is what the sutra means by "the power of an attacking lion."

Believe in this mandala with all your heart. Namu-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle?" (Reply to Kyo-o)
"A woman who devotes herself to the Gohonzon invites happiness in this life; and in the next, the Gohonzon will be with her and protect her always. Like a lantern in the dark, like a strong supporting arm on a treacherous path, the Gohonzon will protect you, Lady Nichinyo, wherever you go. Therefore you should ward off slanderers as you would prevent a courtesan from entering your house. That is the meaning of "Part with bad friends and seek out good ones.

Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. The body is the palace of the ninth consciousness, the unchanging reality which reigns over all life's functions. To be "endowed with the Ten Worlds" means that all the Ten Worlds without exception are contained in the one world of Buddhahood. That is why the Gohonzon is called a mandala. Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning "perfectly endowed" or "cluster of blessings." The Gohonzon is found in faith alone. As the sutra states, "Only with faith can one enter Buddhahood."(The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon)
"O-ama has asked me to inscribe the Gohonzon for her, but I am troubled by her request....O-ama Gozen is insincere and foolish. She was also irresolute, believing at one time, while renouncing her belief at another. When Nichiren incurred the displeasure of the government authorities, she quickly discarded the Lotus Sutra. This is why, even before, I told her the Lotus Sutra is "the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand," whenever we met.

If I give her the Gohonzon because I am indebted to her, then the Ten Goddesses will certainly think I am a very partial priest. On the other hand, if I follow the sutra and do not give her a Gohonzon because of her lack of faith, I will not be partial, but she may well harbor a grudge against me because she does not realize her fault. I have explained the reasons for my refusal in detail in a letter to Suke no Ajari. Please send for the letter and show it to her.

You are of the same family as O-ama Gozen, but you have demonstrated the sincerity of your faith. Because you have often sent offerings to me, both to Sado and here to Minobu, and because your resolve does not seem to wane, I have inscribed a Gohonzon for you. But I still worry whether you will maintain your faith to the end and feel as if I were treading on thin ice or facing a drawn sword. I will write to you again in more detail.

When I incurred the displeasure of the government, even in Kamakura 999 out of 1,000 discarded their faith, but since popular feeling toward me has now softened, some of them seem to regret. I do not class O-ama Gozen with those people and I feel deeply sorry for her, but I can no more bestow the Gohonzon upon someone who goes against the Lotus Sutra than flesh can replace bone. Please explain to her thoroughly why I cannot grant her request."

Someone wrote to me: "There are pitfalls, however, to having a mentor that we can't interact with in real time. If there is no give-and-take, the relationship is very one-sided and subject to distortion by our imagination, fears or wishful thinking."

The Gohonzon is a perfect manfestation of Buddhahood. We interact with the Gohonzon daily and, from the perspective of the Gohonzon existing within, it is only with the Gohonzon that we interact every moment of every day until the last moment of our lives. The Gohonzon is also the Law. We are exhorted by the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha, and Nichiren Daishonin to follow the Law and not persons. Therefore by such reasonings, the Gohonzon is the perfect and only mentor for a Nichiren Lotus Sutra Buddhist.

Regardless of the reasonings, if we believe the Buddhist Sage, Nichiren, "Though this mandala has but five or seven characters, it is the teacher of all Buddhas throughout the three existences...", we should choose the Gohonzon as our mentor.

Lastly, regarding the Eye Opening Ceremony:

"From the "Myoho Mandara Kuyo Ji" by Nichiren Daishonin to a femaile believer:

"I have written the Myoho Renge Kyo Gohonzon and conscerated it for you" (translated by Senchu Murano)

In the Gosho 'The Selection of the Time,' St. Nichiren says of the conditions of his day,

"And in the ceremony carried out at the consecration of Buddhist images or paintings, the 'opening of the eyes,' the priests of all the eight sects of Buddhism now use the mudras and mantras associated with the eyes of the Buddha Dainichi!' (The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, vol. 3, p. 156)

In his collected writings, the Daishonin refers to the eye-opening ceremony, or to offerings for the eye-opening, in seventeen places. In most of these instances, he raises the issue for the purpose of refuting the validity of eye-opening ceremonies conducted with Shingon rites, teaching instead that the eye-opening ceremony should be conducted with the Lotus Sutra.

For instance, he says: "In performing the eye-opening ceremony for painted or wooden Buddha images, the only authority to rely on is the Lotus Sutra and the Tendai sect.... It is the power of the Lotus Sutra that makes it possible to infuse such paintings and statues with a -soul- or spiritual property. This was the realization of the Great Teacher T'ien-t'ai. In the case of living beings, this doctrine is known as attaining Buddhahood in one's present form; in the case of painted and wooden images, it is known as the enlightenment of plants and trees." (MW-6, 161-2)

The principle of the enlightenment of plants and trees makes it possible for statues or paintings made of trees or plants to become infused with the life of the Buddha; and this principle is clarified only by the doctrine of ichinen sanzen, which is contained in the Lotus Sutra and must be performed by a believer of the Eternal Shakyamuni.

The Daishonin states that images of the Buddha whose eyes have been 'opened' by the heretical Shingon teaching 'have been rendered soulless and sightless' (MW-2, p. 265) and, worse still, 'have been possessed by the Devil of the Sixth Heaven, bringing ruin upon their own worshipers' (ibid). He further states, 'Demons occupy [such Buddha images] and
deprive people of their lives....Moreover, devils enter those images and deprive people of benefits' (MW-4, p. 35)

If your Gohonzon has had it's eyes opened not by a believer in the Eternal Buddha, but by a believer in the false-premise of the Eternal Nichiren, then your Gohonzon is not valid.

The Daishonin says that eye-opening ceremonies conducted by priests who do not follow the Lotus Sutra actually summons demons and the devil king to inhabit the Buddha images. Elsewhere in the Gosho (in 'On The Enlightenment of Trees and Plants'), the Daishonin discusses eye-opening ceremonies for memorial tablets (toba) in only one place. There, too,
he teaches that unless ceremonies are based on the Lotus Sutra and the doctrine of ichinen sanzen, neither will any trees and plants attain Buddhahood, nor will any true opening of the eyes take place.

Illarraza
Shingyo

Post by Shingyo »

Thank you very much illarraza!

I loved the quotes you have provided and they are an enormous help. :-)

I am curious of one thing however. I know typically the eye-opening ceremony is done by a priest. You stated:
If your Gohonzon has had it's eyes opened not by a believer in the Eternal Buddha, but by a believer in the false-premise of the Eternal Nichiren, then your Gohonzon is not valid
and
unless ceremonies are based on the Lotus Sutra and the doctrine of ichinen sanzen, neither will any trees and plants attain Buddhahood, nor will any true opening of the eyes take place.
I can totally accept and agree with that. However there is an independent Nichiren site (I am sure everyone knows the one I am talking about) which basically helps people who want or need to independently practice. On it, he gives an eye-opening ceremony for an independent person to do. Assuming one has the appropriate understanding which you mentioned in the quotes above... is that eye-opening valid or does it require some other priest of a particular tradition to do even if I don't intend to join that sect? How is that supposed to work?

Thank you for your time.

~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
nichirenista

Post by nichirenista »

Do you have a link to the independent site you refer to? Thanks!
Shingyo

Post by Shingyo »

nichirenista wrote:Do you have a link to the independent site you refer to? Thanks!
Sure thing. :-) Unfortunately it seems to now be down, but here is a link using the internet archive...

https://web.archive.org/web/20120310223 ... dhism.com/

I personally just skip his personal testimonial.
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
Shingyo

Post by Shingyo »

BTW... by asking about the eye-opening ceremony on that site, I am not endorsing the overall content of the site. I am merely curious about the the EO cerermony that is offered and the possibility that if a person who came across it who wanted to, could do the ceremony without a priest. :-)
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

That is the website that got me interested in Nichiren Buddhism, as well as made me aware of it. I would read it in chunks whilst doing my online math homework back in the spring of 2010.

It has moved, here it is now

http://nichirendaishoninsbuddhism.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I think the eye opening ceremony is purely optional, and I base that on absolutely nothing, your're not the boss of me :evil:

seriously though, its just a formality, in a sense though, reciting the LS before chanting the daimoku is also a formality. if you are like me, a pleasant one.
Shingyo

Post by Shingyo »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:That is the website that got me interested in Nichiren Buddhism, as well as made me aware of it. I would read it in chunks whilst doing my online math homework back in the spring of 2010.

It has moved, here it is now

http://nichirendaishoninsbuddhism.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I think the eye opening ceremony is purely optional, and I base that on absolutely nothing, your're not the boss of me :evil:

seriously though, its just a formality, in a sense though, reciting the LS before chanting the daimoku is also a formality. if you are like me, a pleasant one.
Thank you so much for responding and finding that page for me! :bow:

That page does indeed have some useful information... although I have found better explanations of ichinen sanzen elsewhere. While not my introduction to Nichiren Buddhism (discovering the Nichiren Shu site actually did it for me while looking up Buddhism that uses chanting rather than seated and silent meditation), it was my introduction to independent practice which due to my location became a necessity.

In regards to the Lotus Sutra recitation before daimoku, while I do know it is a formality, it is indeed a pleasant one that I very much enjoy doing.

Anyhow, sorry to get off topic. Thank you so much again. :-D
~ Honen Shonin

Namo Amituofo

Return to “Nichiren”