Why the SGI Gohonzon switch?

nichirenista

Why the SGI Gohonzon switch?

Post by nichirenista »

I mentioned on another thread that I recently bought an SGI Gohonzon off of the Internet. Queequeg was kind enough to inform me that the Gohonzon I bought is called the "Nichikan Gohonzon," and provided me with some history on it…. I recall Queequeg previously explaining the history of the Nittatsu Gohonzon, which SGI had used (and which I would particularly love to have a copy of).

So, my question is, why did SGI switch from Nittatsu to Nichikan? Was it a result of the split from Shoshu?

Thanks.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Why the SGI Gohonzon switch?

Post by Queequeg »

At the time of the schism, the abbot of Taisekiji was Nikken Shonin. This was the guy painted by the Soka Gakkai to be evil incarnate because he revoked some title Ikeda was given as head of a lay group, effectively excommunicating him. I'm exaggerating the 'evil incarnate' characterization just a little. The rest of the organization was not excommunicated. I think Nichiren Shoshu thought it would be a 'bloodless coup' and could take leadership of all lay people directly. Didn't work that way and what happened next happened.

As was the practice at the time, people were granted Gohonzon inscribed by the then current high priest. Lots of people had Nittatsu inscribed Gohonzon, but many others who only recently received theirs had Nikken Gohonzon. That was actually my first which I received in high school and took with me to college.

The schism caused much bad blood. When SG came up with this alternative, many people were eager to switch and remove this object that was written by these 'evil' priests from their homes. Many others were convinced they should do this by fellows in the organization, although the official line was that it didn't matter- Gohonzon is Gohonzon.

Practically speaking, the switch was made for a host of reasons, some of which I described before, but mainly because they needed to issue a high priest inscribed Gohonzon because Shoshu doctrine is that they are the only legit Gohonzon. Even Gohonzon inscribed by Nichiren himself are not valid! They have to be inscribed and eye opened by the lineage holder, ie. The abbot ofTaisekiji. This Nittatsu came into their possession and voila.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
nichirenista

Post by nichirenista »

Wow. That's fascinating. Another post of yours I'll have to read twice or more or possibly even download. :) fascinating that even Nichiren Gohonzon aren't valid to Shoshu. Wow.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I don't remember the details well. This is the best I can recall without reviewing it all again, which I really have no interest in doing. This is just to point you in the direction for inquiry if you're interested.

Clearly, Shoshu reveres the so-called, "DaiGohonzon", which purportedly was inscribed by Nichiren and carved into wood by a priest named Nippo Shonin(?) (wooden gohonzon are called ita mandara). (Nippo was an apparently skilled wood carver who also purportedly carved at least 4 statues of Nichiren (at Kitayama Honmonji, Ikegami Honmonji, Taisekiji and Minobu Kuonji), at least two of which were said to be carved while Nichiren was still alive. If you want to know what he looked like, you might be able to google for images of the statues, although you might have to do the search in Japanese.)

Nichiren Shoshu claims that the DaiGohonzon was carved after the Atsuhara Persecution when three illiterate farmers from the Fuji area were executed for refusing to give up their faith in the Lotus Sutra. The story goes that this tragedy confirmed to Nichiren that even ordinary people of meager capacity are capable of upholding the Lotus Sutra 'without begrudging their lives'. Most of us accept this part of the story. The next part though is Shoshu's doctrine. In response, Nichiren inscribed the DaiGohonzon thereby entrusting the teaching of the Lotus Sutra to all humanity for the duration of the Latter Day of the Law (Mappo), generally, but specifically to Nikko Shonin and the subsequent Abbots of Taisekiji. If you are interested in delving into the controversy, there is plenty on the subject to be found at Nichiren's Coffeehouse. This DaiGohonzon is enshrined at Taisekiji and is believed to be the object that will be enshrined at the National Ordination Platform when the sovereign accepts the Lotus Sutra. Needless to say, outside of Nichiren Shoshu (and even within Nichiren Shoshu, apparently), including other Nikko lineages, people generally are dismissive of this story.

Nichiren began inscribing Gohonzon several years before inscribing the DaiGohonzon. Some of these are very simple in scheme - just the Daimoku along with the names of the Buddhas Shakyamuni and Prabhutaratna (Many Treasures/Taho), or the siddham for Fudo Myo'o and Aizen Myo'o. Again, you can see images of most of the extant Gohonzon which were collected in a work published as Gohonzon Shu, also available on Nichiren's Coffeehouse. The later Gohonzon, I believe the ones inscribed after the Tatsunokuchi Persecution when Nichiren was nearly beheaded, are the only ones considered valid, because it was only after that event that Nichiren's identity as, alternatively, the True Buddha (according to Shoshu) or an avatar of Visistacaritra Bodhisattva (Jogyo bosatsu), was revealed. This is a finely argued point, so I won't touch it here, but again, if interested, see Nichiren's Coffeehouse.

After Tatsunokuchi, Nichiren started inscribing, exclusively, I believe, what are called Jikkai Gohonzon which are the template for the scheme we generally think of as Gohonzon - The Daimoku flanked by the Two Buddhas and four leaders of the Bodhisttvas of the Earth, various guardian deities, other great Bodhisattvas, Fudo and Aizen, Mara, arhats and Tientai Daishi and Dengyo Daishi, etc. Jikkai means "ten worlds", and this Gohonzon is said to be literally the Ceremony in the Air symbolizing the entrustment of the teaching by Shakyamuni to Jogyo, and philosophically it represents the teaching of Ichinen Sanzen, the Three-thousand Worlds in a Single Thought-moment. The argument is that the Gohonzon before the Tatsunokuchi were incomplete teachings, and therefore unfit to be objects of veneration (honzon) after that point. Personally, I believe the argument has merit, especially since there is a change in Nichiren's doctrines after Tatsunokuchi. Simply stated, his teachings go from theoretical to grounded in his lived reality, ie. he was reading the sutra with his body, ie. the Lotus Sutra was playing out in this world, in this life through the events of his life and those of his devout followers. I'm not dismissive of the Gohonzon before Tatsunokuchi, but they may indeed reflect an incomplete teaching. Too much to go into here.

Nichiren Shoshu, if I recall, looks at these demarcation points as ultimately significant and accordingly tends to discount not only Gohonzon, but the doctrines taught in gosho before Tatsunokuchi. All of this is assimilated into their doctrines regarding the Kechimyaku - "blood lineage" - of the Abbot of Taisekiji who is believed to be the specific holder of the entrustment of the Lotus Sutra from Shakyamuni to Jogyo. To be honest, its all convoluted to me and makes my head hurt to think about their doctrines. Again, if you want to go explore all this, Nichiren's Coffeehouse and to a lesser extent some of the blogs at Fraught with Peril. Since sometime in the medieval period, I think Shoshu's doctrine has evolved to limit legitimacy to a few Nichiren inscribed Gohonzon and the ones inscribed by the Abbot of Taisekiji.

My take is that its a means of keeping followers corralled. By having the only franchise, people have to come to them.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
dude

Post by dude »

Very good discussion of the issue.
I think we have enough knowledge of it between us to make further exploration worthwhile.
nichirenista

Post by nichirenista »

I'm almost humbled by the extent of your knowledge, Queequeg. I'm not worthy! LOL :bow: (In other words, thank you for yet another answer that will require a few re-readings.)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Oh, go on. Now I'm embarrassed.

Not many people share my interest in this stuff so if someone asks, it all just pours out. :twothumbsup:

Dude, if you'd like to explore here, I'll go along for the ride and contribute what I can, but its not something I'd pursue spontaneously. Its like getting your teeth cleaned.
dude

Post by dude »

I know what you mean, Queequeg.
I'm just glad to find others who share my concern and have some understanding.
I've been really unhappy about the whole issue of Buddhist propagation for a long time, and the controversies.
I am more dissatisfied with the answers than ever.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dude wrote: I've been really unhappy about the whole issue of Buddhist propagation for a long time, and the controversies.
I am more dissatisfied with the answers than ever.
Do you want to discuss? Can you elaborate?
nichirenista

Post by nichirenista »

Nittatsu Gohonzon on eBay sold for nearly $1000. Wow. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111635263473
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

nichirenista wrote:Nittatsu Gohonzon on eBay sold for nearly $1000. Wow. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111635263473
Lol.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

I may have paid 35 bucks for mine......I don't remember. its nothing fancy. oh but it was from ebay.

I also printed a smaller one, didn't have to pay for anything then.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia

Return to “Nichiren”