References to non-Buddhist gods and deities

Myoho-Nameless

Re: References to non-Buddhist gods and deities

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Trusting your own judgement can sometimes be a bad move. But you might know more than I do.

The third refuge, the sangha, disappoints and disgusts me. Today in front of my gohonzon, I actually renounced that in it I take any refuge. Maybe I never really did. So I am only 2/3ds a Buddhist now. I have become what used to annoy me.

I am not "gone", but I need an extended leave to figure out what, if anything, that means to me.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:Trusting your own judgement can sometimes be a bad move. But you might know more than I do.

The third refuge, the sangha, disappoints and disgusts me. Today in front of my gohonzon, I actually renounced that in it I take any refuge. Maybe I never really did. So I am only 2/3ds a Buddhist now. I have become what used to annoy me.

I am not "gone", but I need an extended leave to figure out what, if anything, that means to me.
Take it easy. Take it easy. The Sangha of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth to which we belong is a whole different animal. Sometimes it is a Sangha of one and sometimes a Sangha of trillions. It is impossible to embrace, to take refuge in the Law and the Buddha and to reject the Sangha which, at the very minimum, is you. I have a bunch of pals in my Sangha and I in theirs. Read chapter 15 of the Lotus Sutra for the organization[s] of our Sangha [down to a solitary Bodhisattva of one].

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

BTW where the hell are you going Masaru? That certainly is a cryptic message.

Illarraza
rory

Post by rory »

why do people expect much of the sangha in Mappo? I've been disillusioned, I have had difficult times with institutions but if I persevered and had faith in the Lotus Sutra, which I do, I met good teachers and good people.

I also believe in the Buddhist deities; the world is far more complex than we imagine why shouldn't there be deities and all kinds of beings? I personally dislike this 'everything is a metaphor' attitude of Modernist Buddhism; it ultimately leads to nihilism; look at Robert Sharf's article I posted, he has many spot-on things to say.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Nameless, I'm sorry you feel so disillusioned. Its not clear from your brief comments why you feel that way about the community. If there are specific concerns, perhaps we, the community, might address them. Illaraza makes a good point, and I'll refer to an instruction attributed to the Buddha that Nichiren often referred to: rely on the dharma, not people. As Lotus Buddhists, we orient ourselves directly to the True Aspect. That is the only valid measure. Everything else is expedients. The community is the community of those with the same endeavor. If the community is diminishing, its because the people undertaking this endeavor are not appearing. If you wish to establish the community, it is up to each of us to create the conditions that will cause the appearance of those engaged in this endeavor. Sorry, there are no fairy tales to take the edge off. We endeavor to set aside the provisional and act on only the True Aspect.

Rory, I don't think that viewing Buddhist mythology as mythology diminishes the Saddharma in any way. Whether they are substantially real or just a figment of imagination is irrelevant to the imperative of the Lotus Sutra. The True Aspect is indestructible. So long as we have faith in the Saddharma, we cannot go wrong. Brahma, if real, chants NMRK, along with all the entities throughout the dharmadhatu. Even the icchantikas.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

Myoho-Nameless wrote: The third refuge, the sangha, disappoints and disgusts me. Today in front of my gohonzon, I actually renounced that in it I take any refuge. Maybe I never really did. So I am only 2/3ds a Buddhist now. I have become what used to annoy me.

To those few whom it may concern, a few of you I have interneted with for years, and I was not specifically thinking of you when I had my mental falling out (at least PROBABLY not you) with the sangha.

and if you are curious, the gist of my realization was coming to terms with the fact that I have now and will probably always have divided loyalties.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia

Return to “Nichiren”