The 4 Silent Prayers.

davie.nb.uk

The 4 Silent Prayers.

Post by davie.nb.uk »

Hey Nichiren Buddhists,

I am an independent Nichiren Buddhist practising in the UK and new to the site. Hello to you all!

Does anyone have any suggestions or other formats of the 4 silent prayers which are more general and independent that I can replace the current SGI ones with when doing gongyo.

Many thanks.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: The 4 Silent Prayers.

Post by Queequeg »

Does someone have MarkP's gongyo file?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

I do. I'll have it posted up, at the latest, this Sunday.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Made it back from a trip to visit some prospective in-laws in rural Texas. (Not a single firearm was discharged! :thumbsup: )

Anyway, this is the gongyo book that we made under the coordination of markP - may his merit be boundless. I can't add it here or at Q's dharmablossom due to file size constraints, so I've added it under the files section for the "Nichiren Alternate Independent Sangha" on Yahoo Groups.
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

If you go here
http://nichirendaishoninsbuddhism.weebl ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hit control F and search for "silent prayers" you can scroll down to this dude's variation.

I don't know if being in the UK will be an issue in getting this one, but I use it now and then myself
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/a-lovatt ... 54289.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

whilst not independent, Rev Ryosho Jeffus made this one
http://www.amazon.com/Nichiren-Shu-Serv ... 1484125738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like to switch things up, have options. but thats just me.
Masaru wrote:Made it back from a trip to visit some prospective in-laws . (Not a single firearm was discharged! :thumbsup: )
I would have thought that a mark of a bad trip for you Texans.
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
rory

Post by rory »

Just looked at Rev. Jeffus's prayer book "Prayer of St. Francis" ?.....*sigh* Nichiren Shu what are you doing?
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

rory wrote:Just looked at Rev. Jeffus's prayer book "Prayer of St. Francis" ?.....*sigh* Nichiren Shu what are you doing?
gassho
Rory
I think its just Ref. Jeffus's idea, that addition. From what I know of St Francis he sounds like a dope dude, but I have not used that prayer myself. Surely the addition is harmless, and I think the intention was some sort of religion neutral positive vibe thing. There were things in the previous Gongyo book for Nichiren Shu that he "strongly disagreed with".....wonder what that was..
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:If you go here
http://nichirendaishoninsbuddhism.weebl ... manual.pdf
hit control F and search for "silent prayers" you can scroll down to this dude's variation.

I don't know if being in the UK will be an issue in getting this one, but I use it now and then myself
http://www.lulu.com/us/en/shop/a-lovatt ... 54289.html

whilst not independent, Rev Ryosho Jeffus made this one
http://www.amazon.com/Nichiren-Shu-Serv ... 1484125738

I like to switch things up, have options. but thats just me.
Masaru wrote:Made it back from a trip to visit some prospective in-laws . (Not a single firearm was discharged! :thumbsup: )
I would have thought that a mark of a bad trip for you Texans.
Depends on where the firearms are aimed.

So, yahoo now makes you join just to get the download. In that case, here are the silent prayers from the gongyo book I believe it was Q who wrote these:

Silent Prayers
Chant extended (hiki) Daimoku: Namu-Myoho-Renge-Kyo
(ring bell five times)
(chant Sansho)

First Prayer
Offering to Protective Forces

I sincerely pray to the protective forces that are born from the harmonizing effect of the practice of the One Vehicle. I pray that I might add to those protective forces to protect anyone that practices this teaching.
(insert individual prayer here)

(chant Sansho)

Second Prayer
Offering to the Law

I express my sincere devotion to the Gohonzon. The True Object of Devotion for the Observation of the Mind and the only Depiction of the Triple Bodied Tathâgata in the Fifth Five Hundred Years Period after the Tathâgata’s Passing over to Nirvana.
(chant Sansho)

Third Prayer
Offering to the Lineage

I offer my devotion to the Buddha, the first 25 lineage holders, Kumarajiva, Nanyueh, T’ien-t’ai, Changan, Miaolo, Dengyo, and Nichiren.
(chant Sansho)

Fourth Prayer
Offering for Peace and Practitioner

I sincerely pray for the Great Aspiration of the Buddha, the peace of the land brought about through the purification of the mind.
(chant Sansho)
I pray to eradicate negative karma in my life, and to continually purify and deepen my faith and practice so that I may attain enlightenment in this body.
(insert Personal Prayers)
(chant Sansho)

Fifth Prayer
Offering to the Deceased and all of Existence

I pray that all my deceased relatives, all
deceased Nichiren believers, and all others
who have departed this life may attain
Buddhahood through the power of MyohoRenge-Kyo.
(offer special memorial prayers while
sounding the bell continuously)
(chant Sansho)
May the impartial benefits of MyohoRenge-Kyo penetrate the far reaches of the
Universe to allow all life to experience the silence and illumination of the Seat of the Law.
(ring bell three times and chant extended (hiki) Daimoku)

Return to “Nichiren”