What is the Shakubuku Bible?

Serenity509

What is the Shakubuku Bible?

Post by Serenity509 »

Hello Dharma Friends,

I am trying to learn more about Soka Gakkai and I would really appreciate if you could help me. There is an early SGI document that some members claim does not exist, yet it is available in Japanese on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%8A%98%E4%BC ... op?ie=UTF8

Here are some things this book allegedly says:
"Shakyamuni's dharma is the dharma of the past and no longer
beneficial". (page 63, The Bible of Shakubuku)
"It is necessary to realize that we no longer have a connection
to Shakyamuni's Buddhism." (page 65, The Bible of Shakubuku)
"Buddha Shakamuni is inferior to the true Buddha Nichiren." (page
316, The Bible of Shakubuku)
"The Lotus Sutra which is the long-cherished wish of Buddha
Shakamuni is no longer valid in this era, not in the least." (page93,
The Bible of Shakubuku)
"The teachings of Buddha Shakamuni is as useless as last year's
calendar. If you are guided by his teachings, your life will surely
fail as a logical result." (page303,The Bible of Shakubuku)
"The family which believes in the so-called Nichiren-shu will have
children who have deformities, mental retardation or madness."
(page321, The Bible of Shakubuku)
http://markrogow.blogspot.com/2014/08/s ... bible.html
The most alarming thing about the above passages, from Nichiren's perspective, would probably be the idea that the Lotus Sutra itself is invalidated. Will someone please confirm for me the meaning of the above passages and whether or not they reflect the current views of SGI?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: What is the Shakubuku Bible?

Post by Queequeg »

I don't know what the title actually is, but its content is as sensational as advertised.

Many people are not going to like this, but I will point out that Buddhism starts off right at the beginning stating that we suffer because of our wrong views. This suffering is not just spiritual, but physical as well. I think anyone who observes the world around them can see that views influence actions which manifest as tangible beneficial, detrimental and neutral effects. Whether the specific claims contained in that text are accurate, I offer no opinion. I would point out that I don't think people would have much objection to claims in texts such as Ojo Yoshu pertaining to the three lower realms and how one ends up there.

I don't know if Soka Gakkai presently subscribes to these views. The whole disparaging the Lotus Sutra is a Nichiren Shoshu view.

I don't know what Soka Gakkai teaches anymore. I believe they are doctrinally adrift these days.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

If the Lotus Sutra is somehow invalidated, is that because we are living in the latter day of the law? In that case, are the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra, the parts which SGI chants, still valid?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Serenity509 wrote:If the Lotus Sutra is somehow invalidated, is that because we are living in the latter day of the law? In that case, are the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra, the parts which SGI chants, still valid?
Don't ask such questions. You'll only get confused. :rolling:

[regaining composure and putting on a serious face]

You should ask them to resolve your doubts.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Queequeg wrote:
Serenity509 wrote:If the Lotus Sutra is somehow invalidated, is that because we are living in the latter day of the law? In that case, are the 2nd and 16th chapters of the Lotus Sutra, the parts which SGI chants, still valid?

Does the emphasis on the 2nd and 16th chapters come from Nichiren, Shoshu, or SGI itself?
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

The daily practice of Nichiren Shōshū believers consists of affirming and renewing their faith by performing gongyō twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening. Gongyō entails chanting a portion of Chapter 2 (Expedient Means) and all of Chapter 16 (Life Span of the Thus Come One) of the Lotus Sutra and chanting Nam-Myōhō-Renge-Kyō to the Gohonzon, while focusing on the Chinese character 妙 [J. myō] (Eng. Mystic; Wonderful), the second character of the Daimoku.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichiren_Sh%C5%8Dsh%C5%AB
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Serenity509 wrote:
Queequeg wrote:

Does the emphasis on the 2nd and 16th chapters come from Nichiren, Shoshu, or SGI itself?
Suggested by Nichiren.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Is it true that Ikeda is regarded by SGI as a living Buddha?
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Honestly, if we are all potential Buddhas endowed with Buddha-nature, then it's no so radical to believe that either Nichiren or Ikeda are Buddhas. It's no different from how Tibetan Buddhists regard the Dalai Lama as the Bodhisattva of compassion or how some of Shinran's followers saw him as the incarnation of Amida Buddha.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Queequeg wrote: Suggested by Nichiren.
but grounded in his knowledge of Zhiyi's teachings, correct?
Serenity509 wrote:Is it true that Ikeda is regarded by SGI as a living Buddha?
Excellent question. I'm curious to find out myself.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Some people take issue with Ikeda being called Sensei, but in Japan, the term is so common that even doctors are called Sensei. Also, some take issue with Ikeda being the spiritual mentor of SGI members, but I don't see how it's different from the guru-disciple relationship in other Buddhist schools.
rory

Post by rory »

Serenity509 wrote:Some people take issue with Ikeda being called Sensei, but in Japan, the term is so common that even doctors are called Sensei. Also, some take issue with Ikeda being the spiritual mentor of SGI members, but I don't see how it's different from the guru-disciple relationship in other Buddhist schools.
The problem is when Ikeda becomes more important than Shakyamuni Buddha, the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren. Have you read the Dhammapada, do you know anything about the parables of the Lotus Sutra, how about Nichiren Shonin's life?

gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Ryaner

Post by Ryaner »

rory wrote:
Serenity509 wrote:Some people take issue with Ikeda being called Sensei, but in Japan, the term is so common that even doctors are called Sensei. Also, some take issue with Ikeda being the spiritual mentor of SGI members, but I don't see how it's different from the guru-disciple relationship in other Buddhist schools.
The problem is when Ikeda becomes more important than Shakyamuni Buddha, the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren. Have you read the Dhammapada, do you know anything about the parables of the Lotus Sutra, how about Nichiren Shonin's life?

gassho
Rory
Only those bits that President Ikeda wishes to teach. People wishing to delve deeper are actively discouraged.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

rory wrote: Have you read the Dhammapada, do you know anything about the parables of the Lotus Sutra, how about Nichiren Shonin's life?
Rory
Yes to all those, and I'm not currently Ikeda's follower.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Ryaner wrote:
rory wrote:

gassho
Rory
Only those bits that President Ikeda wishes to teach. People wishing to delve deeper are actively discouraged.
If SGI members are discouraged from reading the Lotus Sutra for themselves, why is it available in their bookstore?
Ryaner

Post by Ryaner »

SGI is way more subtle and crafty than to do something so obvious as to not carry the Lotus Sutra in their bookstores. That said, it is definitely not promoted the way Ikeda's works are, and most rank and file members will encounter the Lotus Sutra only through the snippets that will appear in his works.

I can honestly say I don't remember a single meeting at any community centre that did "Lotus Sutra Studies" the way a church might offer a "Bible Studies" group. The reading of it directly is just not encouraged. Yes it's available for sale from their bookstore, but people are definitely not encouraged to go out and buy it and read it. They have it on sale just so they can say it's available.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Ryaner wrote:SGI is way more subtle and crafty than to do something so obvious as to not carry the Lotus Sutra in their bookstores. That said, it is definitely not promoted the way Ikeda's works are, and most rank and file members will encounter the Lotus Sutra only through the snippets that will appear in his works.

I can honestly say I don't remember a single meeting at any community centre that did "Lotus Sutra Studies" the way a church might offer a "Bible Studies" group. The reading of it directly is just not encouraged. Yes it's available for sale from their bookstore, but people are definitely not encouraged to go out and buy it and read it. They have it on sale just so they can say it's available.
That reminds me of a Catholic priest who once said that if all Catholics opened up their Bibles, it would create a dust storm to envelope the world. My mom's reasoning for not reading the Bible for herself is that, if you attend mass every day for a year, you'll hear the whole Bible read out loud anyway. As for Ikeda's writings, I'll have to read them for myself and see if they resonate with me, if I do have a Buddha-nature that will help me see whether they are true or not.
Ryaner

Post by Ryaner »

Serenity509 wrote:
Ryaner wrote:SGI is way more subtle and crafty than to do something so obvious as to not carry the Lotus Sutra in their bookstores. That said, it is definitely not promoted the way Ikeda's works are, and most rank and file members will encounter the Lotus Sutra only through the snippets that will appear in his works.

That reminds me of a Catholic priest who once said that if all Catholics opened up their Bibles, it would create a dust storm to envelope the world. My mom's reasoning for not reading the Bible for herself is that, if you attend mass every day for a year, you'll hear the whole Bible read out loud anyway. As for Ikeda's writings, I'll have to read them for myself and see if they resonate with me, if I do have a Buddha-nature that will help me see whether they are true or not.
It's the same idea! Exactly the same idea!!!

Some of the writings resonated with me, some didn't. I do believe that he is honest to goodness doing his best and expounding Nichiren Buddhism the way he understands it. That said every human being has blindspots. None of us possess perfect wisdom, and each of us has a unique life experience to contribute. I just wish that SGI would be a bit more multi-polar with Ikeda as first among equals so that other perspectives of SGI followers could be included. For a man that promotes dialogue outside of the SGI so much, it would be nice to see a little more dialogue and debate within the SGI.

This is what ultimately makes me very sad about the organization. With its global reach, ethnic, cultural, and class pluralism it has so much potential to be so much more.
Serenity509

Post by Serenity509 »

Ryaner wrote:
Serenity509 wrote:

It's the same idea! Exactly the same idea!!!

Some of the writings resonated with me, some didn't. I do believe that he is honest to goodness doing his best and expounding Nichiren Buddhism the way he understands it. That said every human being has blindspots. None of us possess perfect wisdom, and each of us has a unique life experience to contribute. I just wish that SGI would be a bit more multi-polar with Ikeda as first among equals so that other perspectives of SGI followers could be included. For a man that promotes dialogue outside of the SGI so much, it would be nice to see a little more dialogue and debate within the SGI.

This is what ultimately makes me very sad about the organization. With its global reach, ethnic, cultural, and class pluralism it has so much potential to be so much more.
Does Ikeda teach anything that's the opposite of Nichiren's teachings? When the Pope speaks ex cathedra or when the Mormon president speaks as the prophet, they are considered infallible. Is Ikeda regarded as infallible?
Ryaner

Post by Ryaner »

That's up to debate whether he teaches anything that's the direct opposite of Nichiren's teachings. I'll say this though, every now and then it would come up in a discussion meeting where Nichiren would make a statement in the Gosho that would be quite unambiguous, and the leader would say something like, "what Nichiren really meant was x," or "If Nichiren was alive today he would say y." Sometimes too Nichiren may be giving advice with regards to a very specific situation and the SGI will decide to take this advice totally out of context with what Nichiren was saying, or sometimes Nichiren may state something where there are multiple possible meanings and interpretations and the SGI will just go with just a single meaning. Much like fundamentalists and the Bible, or Quran.

He is not formally infallible in so many words, BUT because he is so adored and venerated within SGI that if you did dissent from him you'd be shot down (not literally) very, very quickly by his groupies. There are songs written about him, there are films made about him. During the viewings at the cultural centre, some people are so moved at the sight of him they burst into tears. With that much of a devoted following he doesn't need to be formally infallible.

Return to “Nichiren”