Reading the Gohonzon at Kuonji

Queequeg
Former staff member

Reading the Gohonzon at Kuonji

Post by Queequeg »

Kuon-ji is the Nichiren temple at Mt. Minobu, where Nichiren retired. It is the head temple of the Nichiren Shu. I thought it might be an interesting exercise to "read" this Gohonzon as it might be more accessible being a mandala composed of statues rather than calligraphic text. For most people, even those who can technically read the calligraphic mandala, its meaning is lost. However, each representation in the Mandala has meaning, and as a whole, the Mandala has further meaning as well.

This is the Gohonzon in the main hall:

Here are some links related to this subject that might be of interest Who's Who on the Gohonzon

A to Z photodictionary of Japanese Buddhist Statuary

In the center is the Daimoku in what appears to be gold, inlaid over a representation of the Treasure Tower (stupa). This is the object that is described as rising up out of the Earth in the 11th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra. As for the meaning of the Daimoku - I will not attempt to tackle that.

On the left and right are statues of the Two Buddhas, Shakyamuni Buddha and Prabhutaratna Tathagata (Taho Nyorai), respectively, seated on lotus thrones. This Shakyamuni is the one described in the 16th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra, the Original Buddha who attained enlightenment in the remote past. Prabhutaratna Tathagata is another ancient Buddha who appears whenever the Lotus Sutra is preached to stand in witness. I've read descriptions of them as subjective wisdom (Shakyamuni Buddha) and the True Aspect of Reality (Prabhutaratna) and together represent the fusion of subject and object, the one-ness of the myriad dynamic manifestations and the principle.

Flanking the Daimoku and Buddas on the left and right are the Four Bodhisattvas of the Earth, Visistacaritra (Jogyo - Superior Practices), Anantacaritra (Muhengyo - Limitless Practices), Visuddhacaritra (Jyogyo - Pure Practices), Supratisthitacaritra (Anryugyo - Steadily-Established Practices). Although they do not have distinguishing iconography, presumably the two inner bodhisattvas on the left and right are Visuddacaritra and Visistacaritra, respectively, and beyond them on the left and right are Supratisthitacaritra and Anantacaritra, respectively. As far as narrative, they appear in the 15th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra when myriads of august bodhisattvas erupt from beneath the earth. They are said to have been Shakyamuni Buddha's disciples since the remote past when he first attained enlightenment and vow to appear in this Saha world after the Buddha's (appearance of) parinirvana to propagate the Lotus Sutra. Their imagery suggests that they refer to the living beings who appear in this world (From Dust to Dust, so to speak). They represent the four characteristics of Nirvana described in the Nirvana Sutra: True Self (Visistacaritra) Eternity (Anantacaritra) Purity (Visuddhacaritra) and Bliss (Supratisthitacaritra). This suggests that the drama of enlightenment plays out here, in this Saha world. Nichiren is identified as an avatar of Visistacaritra.

The Two Buddhas and Four Bodhisattvas can be read to represent the Essential Teaching.

Below the Two Buddhas and Four Bodhisattvas on the left and right of the Gohonzon are the Bodhisattvas Samantabhadra (on his elephant mount) and Manjusri (on his lion mount), respectively. These two bodhisattvas often flank Shakyamuni Buddha, and as a triad represent Shakyamuni as the teacher of the Mahayana (contrast with Shakyamuni flanked by Sariputra and Mahakasyapa who is the teacher of the Tripitaka). We can thus read these two bodhisattvas as representing the Provisional Teachings. Paired, they represent Practice and Wisdom.

At the four corners, clockwise, from the top left are the Four Heavenly Kings, Vaishravana (Tamonten aka Bishamonten), Dhrtarastra (Jikokuten), Virupaksa (Komokuten), and Virudhaka (Zochoten). They guard the cardinal directions, North, East, West and South, respectively. These gods have vowed to protect Buddhism and its practitioners, and stand guard around the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas assembled in the Mandala.

At the perimeter on the left and right are the two wisdom kings, Vidyaraja (Aizen Myo'o) and Acalanatha (Fudo Myo'o). Aizen is associated with Lust and represents the teaching Klesa are Bodhi in which the klesa, as they are, are turned to enlightening purpose. Fudo is associated with Anger, and represents the teaching Nirvana is Samsara, which declares that the sufferings of birth and death, as they are, are nirvana.

In the foreground, center, is a statue of Nichiren, taking the place of the Dharma Teacher.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Reading the Gohonzon at Kuonji

Post by Queequeg »

As for other objects on the altar - Nichiren holds in his hand an opened sutra scroll. I would not be surprised if it is opened to the 16th Chapter of the Lotus Sutra. In front of him is a table with a box on top. Sutras were traditionally written on scrolls and stored inside of boxes.

On the sides of Nichiren are gold lotuses in vases. I was told that real lotuses will not be offered on the altar until the Lotus Dharma is established throughout the world. I don't know if this holds for Nichiren Shu, but this is what I was told in the context of Nichiren Shoshu. The flowers are offerings described in the Lotus Sutra. For those from the SGI/Nichiren Shoshu tradition, the presence of flowers as offerings may seem out of place. I was taught that we only offer ever greens as symbolizing eternal life, whereas we do not offer flowers because they wilt and remind of death. The candles are offerings of light, and the urn on the table in the foreground is for burning incense. On the sides of the incense burner are offerings of fruit and sweets, because who doesn't like fruit and sweets? For New Years, sake will be offered along with rice cakes.

Aside from the unique three dimensional mandala, this is a standard Nichiren tradition Gohonzon. The aesthetics and style are standardly Japanese and aside from the unique Nichiren honzon, this arrangement is similar to what you will find in Japanese temples regardless of sect.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
dharmapdx

Post by dharmapdx »

Thanks for posting this. I actually have a framed picture of this near my altar.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

dharmapdx wrote:Thanks for posting this. I actually have a framed picture of this near my altar.
:anjali:

Return to “Nichiren”