Nichiren Buddhist study resources

illarraza

Re: Nichiren Buddhist study resources

Post by illarraza »

Queequeg wrote:
Myoho-Nameless wrote:
john perry wrote:In addition to all of this, aren't we suppose to study other religions? What are we suppose to study with other religions?
Nichiren studied Confucianism, I don't much take to Confucianism myself.

One might as well study whatever to the capacity they can. We are extremely fortunate to live in this era that we do, what with an English translation of Tian Tai's works coming.
I'm not a huge fan of Confucius either, but I think he's worth reading just because his writings have been hugely influential in East Asia. That said, I took to his writing a little more when it was explained to me that the fundamental idea was "brotherly love". Maybe a less patriarchal way to describe it would be - platonic love? That's loaded with patriarchy, too. Its the ties of affection that bind humanity together as an extended family...

Separating Confucianism from its patriarchal world view may be an impossible task...

In any event, after the universal affection, the rest is extrapolation of how it should play out in the social hierarchy (patriarchy) Confucius took as the natural structure of human society. Its a web of mutual responsibilities according to one's place in the hierarchy.
"THERE are three categories of people that all human beings should respect. They are the sovereign, the teacher, and the parent. There are three types of doctrines that are to be studied. They are Confucianism, Brahmanism, and Buddhism." -- The opening lines of The Opening of the Eyes

Illarraza
Myoho-Nameless

Post by Myoho-Nameless »

"The sovereign" from a technical standpoint is "the people" now. Wonder what we aught to make of that......
"Keep The Gods Out Of It. Swear On Your Heads. Which I Will Take If You Break Your Vow."- Geralt of Rivia
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Myoho-Nameless wrote:"The sovereign" from a technical standpoint is "the people" now. Wonder what we aught to make of that......
I think Nichiren meant the Buddha ["parent, teacher, and sovereign."]. This idea of the "sovereignty of the people" is an SGI concept. It is essentially wrong. The true secular sovereigns are the leaders of the various countries, Obama, Putin, Xi Jiaping, Modi, etc. We know how Nichiren respected the secular sovereign....by telling him he would fall into hell if he didn't embrace the Lotus Sutra and get rid of the heretical priests. Also, he is summarizing the teaching of Confucianism which he discusses at the beginning of the Opening of the Eyes.

Illarraza
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

illarraza wrote:
Myoho-Nameless wrote:"The sovereign" from a technical standpoint is "the people" now. Wonder what we aught to make of that......
I think Nichiren meant the Buddha ["parent, teacher, and sovereign."]. This idea of the "sovereignty of the people" is an SGI concept. It is essentially wrong. The true secular sovereigns are the leaders of the various countries, Obama, Putin, Xi Jiaping, Modi, etc. We know how Nichiren respected the secular sovereign....by telling him he would fall into hell if he didn't embrace the Lotus Sutra and get rid of the heretical priests. Also, he is summarizing the teaching of Confucianism which he discusses at the beginning of the Opening of the Eyes.

Illarraza
Right, in the context of the Opening of the Eyes, Sovereign is Buddha. However, in terms of converting the sovereign, Nichiren seemed to conceive of the sovereign as whoever held power to set policy and direct the activity of government. In 13th c. Japan, the sovereign was technically the emperor. Secular power was theoretically vested in the Shogun. In reality, power was wielded by the regent, and in fact by the retired regent for a while, Hojo Tokiyori. Hence, he addressed Rissho Ankoku Ron to Tokiyori.

People as sovereign is a political concept. It is what it is. In many nations organized on democratic principles, its a fact. Opinions about right and wrong are the subject of a different conversation.

This is an example of why its impossible to apply some of Nichiren's approach to present circumstances without adaptation. To me, it makes no sense to stubbornly try and organize the present world into the categories of meaning current in 13th c. Japan when so much is fundamentally different. Much is the same, also. Navigating these circumstances and developing wisdom is the point of the Three Pillars, isn't it?

Opinions may differ. Diversity is a treasure.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
john perry

Post by john perry »

There are some people who can't respect parents or teachers or both. What can be done with people like that?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

You want the armchair psychoanalysis or the Buddhist answer?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Queequeg wrote:You want the armchair psychoanalysis or the Buddhist answer?
lets start with the buddhist one...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I was sort of joking... but I think the Buddhist explanation is that the person who doesn't respect their teachers and parents are possessed of overbearing arrogance; they fail to appreciate the great kindness of teachers and parents - even a "bad" parent is worthy of respect because they are causes of your precious human birth. Teachers show you the dharma.
JazzIsTvRicky

Post by JazzIsTvRicky »

john perry wrote:I'm wondering order should nichiren buddhism be studied in.
My own experience was to start with an exploration of Nichiren and his life. Then I retrieved information which led me to his writings. A great source of his writings which were approved by a number of Nichiren sects and are still used today by them are 'The Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin' which can be found on line if you truly search. I began my readings with titles that caught my eye such as 'Winter Always Turns to Spring' and 'The Meaning of Faith' and 'On Attaining Buddhahood' etc. Then you will naturally move on to more challenging writings and their contents.

I also suggest you seek out writings by Daisaku Ikeda which lecture on these Writings and give you a sense of clarification. I found that reading the Lotus Sutra without Nichiren's guide lead me back to his writings to try to understand it's meaning and purpose.

This wonderful Dharma Wheel website has revealed for me what my next concentration of study will be. That is a reading of the Lotus Sutra based on Nichiren's 'Ongi Kuden' or 'Record of The Orally Transferred Teachings. This is available online. I have found two sources one translation that is complete and one which is missing two chapters.

I hope this helps.... :reading: :reading: :woohoo:

Sincerely, JazzisTvRicky
A فوتاري أوف ذي غوهونزون أوف نام ميوهو رينج كيو
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Queequeg wrote:
illarraza wrote:

Illarraza[

Right, in the context of the Opening of the Eyes, Sovereign is Buddha. However, in terms of converting the sovereign, Nichiren seemed to conceive of the sovereign as whoever held power to set policy and direct the activity of government. In 13th c. Japan, the sovereign was technically the emperor. Secular power was theoretically vested in the Shogun. In reality, power was wielded by the regent, and in fact by the retired regent for a while, Hojo Tokiyori. Hence, he addressed Rissho Ankoku Ron to Tokiyori.

People as sovereign is a political concept. It is what it is. In many nations organized on democratic principles, its a fact. Opinions about right and wrong are the subject of a different conversation.

This is an example of why its impossible to apply some of Nichiren's approach to present circumstances without adaptation. To me, it makes no sense to stubbornly try and organize the present world into the categories of meaning current in 13th c. Japan when so much is fundamentally different. Much is the same, also. Navigating these circumstances and developing wisdom is the point of the Three Pillars, isn't it?

Opinions may differ. Diversity is a treasure.
The context is very important for understanding Nichiren.
I'm lazy so thanks for providing historical, cultural context .
john perry

Post by john perry »

I believe that hbs does only chanting.

Return to “Nichiren”