"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" -- which schools say this?

rory

Re: "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" -- which schools say this?

Postby rory » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:54 am

Sorry Tatsuo; I missed your post and have no problem talking about my previous Pure Land practice. I've always had lots of faith, absolutely believe in Kannon sama etc but all the time I was doing Pure Land I have to say the criticisms that Nichiren made against it seemed to me very true; that the majority of practitioners were passive and just gave up, figuring they'd just wait/go to the Pure Land & work hard and study the Dharma, not accomplishing something in this life and in this place. To me that's a terrible message and not what Shakyamuni taught.
When I read in the Lotus Sutra that Amida was a replica Buddha preaching the Lotus Sutra in Sukhavati and we should abandon provisional paths, it entirely resonated and I abandoned the practice. Nichiren Buddhism is the contemplation of the Middle via the Daimoku and with the help of the Eternal Buddha I am accomplishing far more in terms of progressing in the Dharma than I did as a Pure Land Tendai practitioner.
I hope this is helpful
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Maninder

Postby Maninder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 am

how many repetitions in a day at minimum are best? 108? Is there any website related to this?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:31 pm

“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates a problem."
-Modest Mouse

Tatsuo

Postby Tatsuo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:36 pm

@ Rory:
I agree, that in theory there may be a problem with the notion, that you don't have to keep the precepts or have to study the Dharma to be born in the Pure Land. But I personally have never seen Pure Land practitioners becoming passive because of the teaching, that they are already embraced by the Buddha Amida. On the contrary: Jōdo Shinshū is the Buddhist school in Japan, that stands out in the academic study of Buddhist doctrine and which established many universities. Also the Numata Center (associated with Jōdo Shinshū) has taken up the incredible task of translating the whole Buddhist canon to English. I don't see similar efforts in any other school - including Nichiren schools. And btw. this criticism does not apply to Pure Land traditions outside of Japan (or even Tendai).
Concerning your second point: I don't understand the Lotus Sutra to be against expedient means - it rather praises them as tools to prepare sentient beings for the final teachings (and I doubt, that every being is capable to understand the perfect dharma, or as the Lotus Sutra would say "Only a buddha together with a buddha can fathom it well." (chapter 2) :) ). Apart from that, the Lotus Sutra (chapter 7) speaks about Buddha Shakyamuni as being one of the sixteen princes, who now attained Buddhahood. Amida Buddha - also one of them- is not described as a "replica Buddha", but as being just like Shakyamuni, teaching the Lotus Sutra directly to the Sravakas and Bodhisattvas in his Pure Land.
But I am not here to discuss your decision to practise the Lotus Sutra. Out of all Buddhist Sutras the Lotus Sutra influenced me the most, but I don't agree with the interpretation, that all other Buddhist schools are now invalid. It's interesting, that your conversion to the Lotus Sutra somehow resembles the life of Nichiren Shōnin, who also practised Tendai and Pure Land before he dedicated himself to the exclusive practise of the Lotus Sutra.
:anjali:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm

“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

Tatsuo

Postby Tatsuo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:26 am

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:06 pm

-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

Tatsuo

Postby Tatsuo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:57 am

Thank you for your extensive explanation, Queequeg. I understand ichinen sanzen to be a cosmological teaching, that all planes of existence are always present as potentiality - nothing more, but maybe I just don't understand Zhiyi :shrug: That is probably why we seem to speak two different languages here.. I think I have to read much more about the Nichiren interpretation of the Lotus Sutra before I can can give a reasonable reply to your post. Up until now I have only studied the Lotus Sutra and never really understood Nichirens interpretation. It would really be interesting to hear about the Tendai interpretation of the Lotus Sutra/ichinen sanzen - it's a Tendai teaching after all :)
Concerning the use of upaya: What is the practical implication of the passage of chapter 22? When "all other teachings are transformed into leaves and branches of the Lotus Sutra", does that mean, that a teacher of the Lotus Sutra can teach zazen or the nenbutsu? Both would obviously be considered upaya teachings according to the Nichiren tradition. According to chapter 22 upaya can still be used to teach anyone, who does not believe in the Lotus Sutra.
:anjali:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Postby Queequeg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 pm

-Henry Miller

-Modest Mouse

illarraza

Postby illarraza » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Return to “Nichiren”