The Pureland of Green Tara?

Tree

The Pureland of Green Tara?

Post by Tree »

What is this? I have never heard of this. Do people have any more info?

http://www.khempo.com/teachings_green.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All of these deities, all of these enlightened beings that we are visualizing in front of us in the sky, are not just there in empty space, but are there in the pure land of Green Tara. That pure land is called Yulod Kurpa, which means "the Turquoise-colored Pureland". This is her heavenly, or celestial, paradise, which is complete with all aspects of a diving paradise, and is characterized by this turquoise color. This entire assembly arises here in this green pure land. This is the name of Her celestial paradise, where living beings go to attain enlightenment. Something should be said about this turquoise-colored paradise. It resembles some sort of fantastic heavenly rock 'n roll party. The deities there are filled with bliss, spending their time in dance and song, special enlightened dance and song, so that if ordinary beings even perceive it, even see it, they are filled with a sense of happiness and faith.
Konchog1

Re: The Pureland of Green Tara?

Post by Konchog1 »

Most if not all Buddhas have Pure Lands in Tibetan Buddhism. But they are usually only mentioned in the Sadhanas.

I rarely hear of people praying to be reborn anywhere but Sukhavati. Although I have heard of people being reborn in their Yidam's (personal deity's) Pure Land, usually Padmasambhava's Pure Land or Vajrayogini's.

Does this information help? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Tree

Post by Tree »

Konchog1 wrote: Does this information help? I'm not quite sure what you're asking.
Yes, it's very interesting.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

It is mentioned several times in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Delog-Journey-Rea ... 8177690930
but if I recall correctly there is not much detail.

Here is another reference:
http://www.yulokod.ca/buddhas.htm
I think the passage quoted there is from the book above.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Tree

Post by Tree »

dzogchungpa wrote:It is mentioned several times in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Delog-Journey-Rea ... 8177690930
but if I recall correctly there is not much detail.

Here is another reference:
http://www.yulokod.ca/buddhas.htm
I think the passage quoted there is from the book above.
Amazing stuff. :twothumbsup:
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Konchog1 wrote:I rarely hear of people praying to be reborn anywhere but Sukhavati. Although I have heard of people being reborn in their Yidam's (personal deity's) Pure Land, usually Padmasambhava's Pure Land or Vajrayogini's.
This is mostly because Sukhavati is vastly easier to reach, and from there one can visit any of the other pure realms with ease. One can be born there based on sincere faith in Buddha Amitabha alone, or the accumulation of his mantra, whereas in order to be born in most other Buddhafields one has to be at least an 8th bhumi bodhisattva.

Amitabha knew how difficult it was for ordinary beings to get to the other buddhafields, and thus made a specific aspiration when he generated bodhicitta that all sentient beings would be able to be born in his paradise with the least prerequisites possible. Maybe you don't need to be on the 8th bhumi in the case of Zangdok Palri and Khechari, but for the vast majority this is the case.

I've heard it said that the vast majority of purelands are jewel-encrusted and there is little in the way of greenery, but that Tara's paradise is the exact opposite. Not sure what source Jayarava is quoting on his site (http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/greentara), but this is what he has to say (which is where I first heard of the distinction):
Green Tara is a forest goddess, and in one story is shown as being clad in leaves. Her Pure Land, in distinction to others that are composed of precious gems, is said to be lush and verdant:
Covered with manifold trees and creepers, resounding with the sound of many birds,
And with murmur of waterfalls, thronged with wild beasts of many kinds;
Many species of flowers grow everywhere.
Does anyone know if this is true, or have any links to resources that can confirm, deny, or give further details?

Seems like Yulokö would be the preference for tree-huggers, nature enthusiasts, eco-tourists, and generally anyone who likes flora --- or at least a place where they would visit after reaching Dewachen.

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Seems like Yulokö would be the preference for tree-huggers, nature enthusiasts, eco-tourists, and generally anyone who likes flora --- or at least a place where they would visit after reaching Dewachen.

My kind of place, then.

:smile:
Kim

Return to “Pure Land”