Shakyamuni Pure Land and Maitreya

zamotcr

Shakyamuni Pure Land and Maitreya

Postby zamotcr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:00 pm

hi,

I was wondering, it is said that Shakyamuni's pure land is this saha world, but we can't see it due to our impurity. And it is said too that Maitreya will own a future Pure Land. It is the same pure land as Shakyamuni or a different one? I ask this since it is the same saha world... What will happen to Shakyamuni Pure Land after Maitreya comes?

:namaste:

plwk

Re: Shakyamuni Pure Land and Maitreya

Postby plwk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:39 am

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:14 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung

zamotcr

Postby zamotcr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:56 am

plwk

Postby plwk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:50 pm

I hope that the below is of any help and your patience for my ramblings...

Firstly...
Saha World and what it comprises of: the traditional cosmology from Sutras, Tian Tai teaching (since this is under the East Asian Mahayana forum) and with reference to the traditional cosmology referenced from Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosa as well. And yes in short, all of the three burning worlds of desire, form and formlessness
(33 in Mahayana and 31 in Theravada) with all of its inhabitants, including the human realm, are included in this cosmology.
I will stop at this to avoid an extensive essay here.

Secondly,
Part a.
I would think that when Sakyamuni Buddha mentioned on the entire Saha World system, it's not just limited to the human realm, that He had in mind as what is contained within the above AND there's no other world system that He's referring to. Why? Because He chose to manifest in the Saha World system and not in any other worlds.

Part b.
What is 'pure' here?
As you suggested from Vimalakirti and I would add from others like the Lotus Sutra POV, from the ultimate vantage point.
Of course, when compared grossly to Sukhavati, another world system of its own, the Saha World would look like a toilet but that's from conventional appearances.
From the zenith vantage point of a Buddha, all world systems are meritoriously adorned and without flaw, hence, the usage of 'pure' and 'empty'.
So...when Maitreya manifests as the Fifth Samyak Sambuddha, it's merely a transition from Sakyamuni.
Difference is as pointed out earlier, by then, the obvious changes to the Saha World would have been expected (I would expect no more traffic jams in the human world for example) and it's gonna be under a new Buddha's Dispensation. So, Maitreya like all of His predecessors and successors, will have 2 abodes: one during the waiting time in Inner Tusita in the second last birth and later manifesting specifically in the Saha World's human realm in the final birth, always viewing the Saha World and its triple burning worlds, the choice of their mission, as the 'pure land' that they will manifest their mission.

Part c.
From the Ven Master Dr Yin Shun's 'The Way to Buddhahood', pages 103-5 (I am rephrasing and summarising some of the points he made)
a. The 'Pure Land' (remember I used the term 'Pure Abode' to distinguish from Amitabha's Sukhavati? and there are some opinions where they choose to distinguish the term 'pure land' with reference to other world systems of Buddhas like Amitabha and Bhaisajyaguru, outside of our Saha World system) of Maitreya as He is in waiting until the Dispensation of Sakyamuni is over is known as the Inner Court of Tusita Heaven, located in our Saha World system within the ranks of the desire realm heavens. The Master mentions that this Inner Court is adorned like a 'pure land' and Maitreya's occupation for now is teaching and transforming those who take birth there.
So, from our perspective, why Tusita? Because one wants to avoid birth in the heavens of long life, especially for those practicing profound meditation.
And the other advantage is, in Tusita, one gets the chance to encounter the future Buddha and hear the Dharma, it's a far better option.
[If I may add here, an alternative for those who are already in the stream of the Noble Ones on the Arhat Path who would normally end up in the highest heaven in the realm of form, Akanishta AND for those who aren't and have not practiced to the level of entering the stream of the Noble Ones yet, Tusita is another 'easier' option and creating affinity with the future Buddha]

b. Then, when the time comes, He, like His predecessors will descent from the Inner Court of Tusita to our Saha World's human realm (Jambudvipa is mentioned) to manifest His mission and mentions that by then, our Saha World and its human realm will be like a 'pure land' [assuming that conditions by then would have improved by leaps and bounds as compared to now as mentioned in the Sutras? No more traffic jams? LOL]

c. So, for now, if one wishes to take birth in the Inner Court of Tusita, one will be in contact with Maitreya and even follow Him when the time comes for His Descent to the Saha World. The Master goes on to explain the uniqueness of vowing to be with Maitreya:
i. The proximate closeness of both the human and the Inner Court of Tusita, both located in the realm of desire within the same Saha World system unlike other Buddha Lands and the ease of shuttling back and forth between birth in Inner Tusita and the human realm.
ii. The ease of attainability: by adoption and practice of taking refuge, sila, dana and vowing to be with Maitreya (for now in the Inner Court of Tusita and later when He manifests His career as a Buddha in the Saha World's human realm) where singlemindedness is not a prerequisite unlike in other Pure Lands.
iii. Universal accessibility: one need not necessarily vow to have a Bodhi Mind nor renunciation, those with good roots and aspirations for the human and divine vehicles can aspire and practice as per ii. in consonance with His Teaching on the Five Vehicles for all sentient beings' capacity: Human, Divine, Arhat, Pratyekabuddha & Bodhisattva, now in the Inner Court of Tusita and later in His Dragon Flower Tree Assembly in the human world.

zamotcr

Postby zamotcr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 pm

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:57 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung

zamotcr

Postby zamotcr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

plwk

Postby plwk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:19 pm

zamotcr

Postby zamotcr » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks plwk and everyone for helping me! :thanks:

I'm starting to get it. With this, and with Astus explanation in other post, Pure Land could be anywhere, just our mind can't process it, after all, everything is processed by our mind, there's no outside of this mind. So, if we can't see Pure Land, it's because Karma does not let us see. I don't know if Pure Land is another plane or dimension or whatever. Also, in this physical world are a lot of particles and lights, and everthing that are imperceptible to our senses, like higher vibration and so on, so that's from a materialistic pov :D

I just have one doubt, but according to one description that sinweiy gave me. Are those descriptions to be taken literally or should I avoid take it literal and understand it's real message? I mean, things like clothing grown on trees or the four continents, sumeru, etc..

plwk

Postby plwk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 am

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:42 pm

_/\_
Amituofo!

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:39 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:44 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

Hickersonia

Postby Hickersonia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 am

I sure wish I could read some of that!
Hickersonia

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!

KrisW

Postby KrisW » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:12 am

If my understanding is correct, then there is quite literally an illusory land of Utmost Bliss. (+=-)
Then I would assume there is quite literally an illusory Sambhogakaya Buddha named Amitabha. (+=-)

And a rebirth in Ultimate Bliss is greater than a Saha World Rebirth because we are not Buddhas and the literal illusory land of Upmost Bliss is better for rebirth-Great Enlightenment.

Im assuming this is a correct understanding.

Namo Amitabha, Namu Amida Bu , Namu Amitabul !!!
The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:40 am

the illusory was Mount Sumeru rather than Land of Utmost Bliss, by the way. :smile:
_/\_
Amituofo!

KrisW

Postby KrisW » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 am

The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:45 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

Return to “Pure Land”