The Great Path of Absolute Other Power

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

The Great Path of Absolute Other Power

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I wanted to share some lines from this work by Kiyozawa Manshi that I found resonated deeply with me. This and his "My Faith" are apparently very famous in Jodo Shinshu but being new myself, I just came across them.
I. This my self is none other than that which, following the way of suchness and entrusting itself to the wondrous working that is absolute and infinite, has settled down of itself in the present situation. By entrusting myself to the absolute and infinite, I am beyond fears of the problem of life-and-death. And with the problem of life-and-death beyond our fears, how much more so problems of lesser importance!

II. The infinite variety of the myriad phenomena of the universe belongs to the wondrous workings of the one great mystery. And yet we simply take it for granted, regarding it all as a natural phenomenon, paying no respect or regard to it. Were we not endowed with any knowledge or sensibility, there would be no problem. But we are in fact endowed with them and we remain insensitive to them. How then can we avoid being termed perverted?
The reflection of a single color, the fragrance of a single scent, can never appear of themselves. The appearance of all these phenomena is without exception caused by the power of that one great mystery. Not only color and scent, what of the arising of our "selves"? No matter where the self's original source or final destination may lie, nothing lies within the domain of our own will. Not only are our previous lives and our after-lives not subject to our own will, the appearance and disappearance of our thoughts at this very moment is not a matter at our own dispensation. We are absolutely within the hands of the Other Power.

III. We are bound to die. But even if we die, we shall never be reduced to extinction. We are not made up of life alone; death belongs to us as well. Our existence is composed of both life and death. We are not to be dependent upon life and death; we are spiritual beings existing beyond life and death.

V. Where is the infinite Other Power? It is visible in all your receiving, which is a manifestation of the infinite Other Power. Revere and cherish it, and thus be thankful to the Tathagata's enormous blessing. Yet in order to satisfy yourself, you are running after external things, following others, without seeking satisfaction within yourself. Are you not mistaken? Chasing after external things is the source of greed. Following others is the source of anger.
This and "My Faith" are very short and you could read them in a single sitting.

I've often had the intuition that there is some giving aspect to the universe sustaining us generously, but Mr. Manshi helped put it in terms I could relate to. I hope others feel as touched and encouraged to see the Other Power that pours over our lives in abundance.
Namu Amida Butsu
SeeknShinjin

Re: The Great Path of Absolute Other Power

Post by SeeknShinjin »

For myself Manshi Kiyozawa is a great teacher. He was a great Shin Buddhist reformer. He also has a book called December Fan, if you can get a hold of it, there is something about his passion, his Hongan that draws me to the Dharma. I can see why it is called the name that calls.

Thanks,

SeekN
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Nice find duckfiasco!

It wasn't until SeeknShinjin mentioned December Fan that I remembered this article. It's one of those articles full of quotes that hit you so deep your bones ache. The guy was a fan of Stoic philosopher Epictetus, who I was reading when I came to Buddhism, so what's not to like? :)

Kiyozawa taught Haya Akegarasu; whom I also think very highly of.
Akegarasu taught Shuichi Maida and Gyomay Kubose, author of Everyday Suchness and another very influential figure.
Gyomay Kubose was the father of Brightdawn Sangha head Koyo Kubose, whose podcasts I listen to all the time.
Definitely a strong lineage of teachers from the Otani school, their teachings always convey such critical self evaluation...
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Duckfiasco wrote:I've often had the intuition that there is some giving aspect to the universe sustaining us generously...
Sounds strangely familiar to me, also......
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

jeeprs wrote:
Duckfiasco wrote:I've often had the intuition that there is some giving aspect to the universe sustaining us generously...
Sounds strangely familiar to me, also......
Maybe Amida's been whispering in your ear this whole time too :popcorn:
Namu Amida Butsu
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I recognize the voice but not the name.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

That was my experience too, jeeprs :)
For a long time, I didn't know what to do with this intuition that a big part of our experience as human beings is being showered unconditionally with generosity, even as we try to reject and ignore so much of it.
In my egotism I thought maybe not so many people had this same impression.
Coming across this passage on Other Power was such a relief, as was your post.
Namu Amida Butsu
Admin_PC
Former staff member

Post by Admin_PC »

Saw this about one of the guys I referenced and thought it was somewhat related.
thatbuddhaguy.com wrote:Rev. Gyomay told them that every night, before he went to bed, he would tell his shoes, “Thank you my shoes.” This seemed silly. Why would anyone thank their shoes? After all, the shoes couldn’t hear you, they were just shoes. Rev. Gyomay explained that throughout the day his shoes had kept his feet warm and dry. They had protected him from stones, glass and other objects that might have injured him. His life in the city was much more pleasant because of his shoes. His shoes did all this and expected no reward. By thanking them he was expressing his gratitude for all they had done. Even more, this gratitude went beyond just his shoes.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

PorkChop wrote:Nice find duckfiasco!

It wasn't until SeeknShinjin mentioned December Fan that I remembered this article. It's one of those articles full of quotes that hit you so deep your bones ache. The guy was a fan of Stoic philosopher Epictetus, who I was reading when I came to Buddhism, so what's not to like? :)

Kiyozawa taught Haya Akegarasu; whom I also think very highly of.
Akegarasu taught Shuichi Maida and Gyomay Kubose, author of Everyday Suchness and another very influential figure.
Gyomay Kubose was the father of Brightdawn Sangha head Koyo Kubose, whose podcasts I listen to all the time.
Definitely a strong lineage of teachers from the Otani school, their teachings always convey such critical self evaluation...
A belated thank you for sharing these resources with me! I'll try to get a copy of December Fan soon. It's proving a bit tricky to hunt down.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Pure Land”